Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero 5.75 Coil

fltacoma

Hello all,

I haven't posted on here in a while due to my other various hobbies as of late. These Tesoro detectors are starting to call out to me and beg me to start using them! My questions is this...I was reading on a forum that the 5.75 coil with the Vaquero was very excellent, but I couldn't recall if they were using the concentric, or the widescan coil. What do you use for your Vaquero or Tejon? I was thinking about dding another coil to the arsenal....

5.75" Concentric is what I swing...@ that size coil ( useful most often in trashy areas ) I prefer the pinpoint focus of the con vs the dd..... I could cover a tiny bit more ground per swing... but to me that's illogical to consider. If I wanted more ground coverage, I would just use the stock.... it works for me, but your style may benefit more from the DD... very subjective... I don't even own the dd anymore.

No question which one I aimed for, the concentric all the way.
I hunted too many way trashy sites and most were infested with pop tops which the concentrics deal with much better.
Loved it, found great things and on one of the first hunts with it gold in a huge area.

I agree with the other posters above and vote for the concentric coil. Overall I think the concentrics work better when using discrimination while the wide-scans are faster with ground coverage. The only time I ever use a wide-scan type coil is when dealing with extreme ground mineralization while prospecting using all-metal mode. Seems a lot of people these days like wide-scan coils and there's nothing wrong with that if they work for you.

Yeah, the concentric one works really good on a Vaquero.

I have the High Tone Vaquero i bought from Richard (Backwoods detectors) it came with the 8" brown round - i found it had about the same performance /depth as the spoked 8 x 9. i then added a 5.75 concentric --much lighter --close to depth of the brown round - my opinion the 5.75 separates considerably better in trash areas (which in mostly what i hunt in -vacant losts and such.) i see "most new models " of detectors are sold with DD widescan coils and the extra coils options are all DD--i just prefer concentrics myself --pinpoint better -discriminate muore accurately in rusty iron

I keep a 6" Concentric mounted full-time to my high-tone modified black Vaquero, my Silver Sabre [size=small]micro[/size]MAX, and will have another on-hand for when I get another Bandido II [size=small]micro[/size]MAX to replace my stolen unit. My Mojave has the stock 7" Concentric mounted. When ever I have the opportunity, for Relic Hunting or Coin & Jewelry Hunting, I prefer to have a smaller-size Concentric coil mounted than a Double-D design.

Monte

[size=small]PS: I wish Tesoro would ditch the dumb marketing idea to call the 6" Concentric coil a 5.75 because physically, it isn't.[/size]

Interesting and glad to hear everyone's reactions on both. I think I will get the concentric 6" later on in the year once I have the funds. Thank you everyone!

I bought an 8 inch donut after hearing so much about the concentric coils......My area is highly mineralized.....I began thinking that the donut was better/deeper but in the end,the little 5.75 DD coil took the prize.......High mineralized soil....DD. Lower mineralized soil......concentric ............Jim

synthnut said:
I bought an 8 inch donut after hearing so much about the concentric coils...
Yes, Concentric search coils can have their strengths, and at times a Double-D type might be a bit better. Too many variables to make a blanket statement, in many cases.

synthnut said:
...My area is highly mineralized.....I began thinking that the donut was better/deeper but in the end,the little 5.75 DD coil took the prize...
Well, I don't know where the "my area" is that you refer to, but I hunt a lot of very highly mineralized sites here in Eastern Oregon in old gold mining encampments and town sites, logging camps, and other challenging ground environments, as well as similar places in Utah and Nevada.

But there is a difference between 'better' performance of two search coils and 'deeper' performance. Generally, size-for-size, the Concentric search coil can Discriminate a bit better in iron contaminated sites, and also provide slightly better depth-of-detection over a Double-D designed coil in cleaner sites.

With your Vaquero, do you keep the Discrimination very low, as in close to minimum so as to get hits on iron nails and other small ferrous debris? Are you hunting sites that have a lot of iron contamination, such as nails and the like, or even trashier places where you are dealing with foil and other discarded debris? If so, and you are using Discrimination to get rid of some junk, that kind of masking can influence an 8" search coil field more than that of a 6" search coil, thereby not allowing the 8" coil to get a depth advantage over the 6" sized coil.

synthnut said:
....High mineralized soil....DD. Lower mineralized soil......concentric ............Jim
Nope, that's frequently commented on be people through the years, but decades of working both Concentric coils and Double-Coils, and other configurations back in the '60s and '70s, has allowed me to evaluate field performance in a variety of ground mineral environments, using the same detectors in side-by-side comparisons. Some detector models were designed to work well with both coil types, and some tend to favor one type over the other for some environments.

Here is an example, using Double-D and Concentric coils of the exact same external dimension, the 5½X10 DD and 5½X10 Concentric for my 19 kHz Nokta Relic. The Concentric will handle some dense iron nail environments better than the DD and provide more clean hits than the DD. Also, in low-target, open areas, the 5½X10 Concentric gets a little better depth of detection than the DD coil. Same size coil, same manufacturer, same detector, but the Concentric coil is an easy winner in most cases.

I have a 6" Concentric on a Tesoro Vaquero and Silver Sabre [size=small]micro[/size]MAX, a 7" Concentric on a Mojave, a 6½" Concentric on a White's MX-7 and 7" Concentric on a Nokta Impact, and they all handle the higher mineralized sites I hunt, and they all seem to hit as deep or a little deeper than an 8" or 9" or 950 Concentric, or a 7X11 DD ... in the trashier sites because the trash causes masking effects and the smaller-size coils handle it better. The smaller Double D coils I use, like the 'OOR' on my Nokta CoRe or 5" on a Relic or on an Impact, also deal with many conditions better than the mid-sized or larger coils, even to getting a slight depth advantages when masking inhibits the mid-size to larger-size coils of either type.

There will be times when that 8" donut coil can be beneficial, all depending upon the types of sites you're hunting and what targets you are after. Site location and conditions play an important role on search coil selection.

By the way, if you are referring to using those coils on a Vaquero, then I agree that you're using one of the better Tesoro models offered today. I have one and enjoy using it, plus, in most field comparisons I have done, it matched or bettered either the Lobo SuperTRAQ or Tejón using the same size and type search coil. That's why I have the newer black version Vaquero in my 'detector team.'

Monte

Monty, that was a good comparative study. Coincidentally, I just bought a used 5.75 concentric for my Vaquero since I have been itching for one. I will let you guys/gals know how it performs over here in the louisiana soil.

Especially those of us who are suffering from cabin fever and can't get out due to snow, ice, bitter cold or a mixture of all three wintry events. I have hunted east and west of you, but I don't think your Lousyanna soil is as challenging as here in Eastern Ironegon's gold mining era ghost town sites. A lot of high iron mineral content adorned with quite a scattering of nails and rusty tin shards to decorate the surface. That, plus a lot of it is very rocky and compacted.

But all of my Regular-Use Detector Team can handle it well, including my Vaquero w/6" Concentric coil. Just work with a slow and methodical sweep with any of them and the good stuff will come my way .... [size=small]come spring when the snow is gone[/size].

Monte

Haha, you got the "lousyanna" part right! To be fair, it was a blisteringly cold 26 degrees here this morning, but the highs will be up in the mid to upper 40's, so that's not too bad.

I will be hunting in the northwestern part of the state, and possibly into deep east Texas.

I will let you fellow detectorists how it goes!

I just received the coil in the mail today. I did a couple of air tests, and it's the same, if not a little better than the 9x8 stock. I think I'm gonna have fun with this coil for a while :)

to describe the enjoyment I get from using my 6" Concentric coils. Unless there is an absolute need to use the standard 8X11 DD, my Vaquero does full-time service with the 6" Concentric coil. Very 'Functional' depth-of-detection plus being light and handy while working in and around brush and debris. Add to that the fact that my Vaquero is the deepest of all the Tesoro models I currently own, or have owned and used, since the Vaquero's release.

Again, keep us posted on your success afield with the Vaquero/6" combination, and just remember to work it with a slow and methodical sweep that the Tesoro detectors are well known for.

Monte

Oh I surely will. I will let you know how it goes.

I have a 6" Concentric on a Tesoro Vaquero and Silver Sabre microMAX, a 7" Concentric on a Mojave, a 6½" Concentric on a White's MX-7 and 7" Concentric on a Nokta Impact, and they all handle the higher mineralized sites I hunt, and they all seem to hit as deep or a little deeper than an 8" or 9" or 950 Concentric, or a 7X11 DD ... in the trashier sites because the trash causes masking effects and the smaller-size coils handle it better. The smaller Double D coils I use, like the 'OOR' on my Nokta CoRe or 5" on a Relic or on an Impact, also deal with many conditions better than the mid-sized or larger coils, even to getting a slight depth advantages when masking inhibits the mid-size to larger-size coils of either type.

Hi Monte,
Thanks for your reply......I’m thinking that these comments just may be what I am contending with.....My thoughts were by buying the larger donut/ concentric coil that I would go deeper with the tighter focus that the concentric coil affords.....not thinking about how the size of the coil could be overwhelmed by shallow trash masking the good targets......BTW, I setup the Vaquero a lot of different ways ( discrimination,All metal, etc. ). Next move will be a 5.75 concentric coil to see if this is the case.....Sometimes less is more !!....... Thanks again..Jim

synthnut said:
Monte said:
I have a 6" Concentric on a Tesoro Vaquero and Silver Sabre microMAX, a 7" Concentric on a Mojave, a 6½" Concentric on a White's MX-7 and 7" Concentric on a Nokta Impact, and they all handle the higher mineralized sites I hunt, and they all seem to hit as deep or a little deeper than an 8" or 9" or 950 Concentric, or a 7X11 DD ... [size=medium]in the trashier sites[/size] because the trash causes masking effects and the smaller-size coils handle it better. The smaller Double D coils I use, like the 'OOR' on my Nokta CoRe or 5" on a Relic or on an Impact, also deal with many conditions better than the mid-sized or larger coils, even to getting a slight depth advantage when masking inhibits the mid-size to larger-size coils of either type.

Hi Monte,
Thanks for your reply......I’m thinking that these comments just may be what I am contending with.....My thoughts were by buying the larger donut/ concentric coil that I would go deeper with the tighter focus that the concentric coil affords.....not thinking about how the size of the coil could be overwhelmed by shallow trash masking the good targets......BTW, I setup the Vaquero a lot of different ways ( discrimination,All metal, etc. ). Next move will be a 5.75 concentric coil to see if this is the case.....Sometimes less is more !!....... Thanks again..Jim
Jim, for more casual readers who might miss what I stated in your quote above, I emphasized why the smaller-size coils can get similar depth of detection, or possibly even better, than their larger size counterparts when working in a dense trash environment.

I forgot to add that I also use a small 'OOR' DD coil most of the time on my Makro Racer 2, or switch over to the 7" concentric coil.

As for my Vaquero, I like it because it does give me versatility with the enhanced lower-end Discriminate adjustment range, and I only use two Discrimination settings with the Vaquero. Models like the Bandido series or Silver Sabre series use the ED-120 Discrimination circuitry, therefore a minimum Disc. setting, which is all I ever use with them, is just above iron nail rejection and actually discriminates almost all common ferrous debris. My Silver Sabre [size=small]micro[/size]MAX is always set at the absolute minimum Disc. level.

With my other Regular-Use Detectors, all feature visual Target ID, audio Tone ID, and allow for a lower-end Discrimination setting, even down to accept ALL metal targets, be them ferrous or non-ferrous. I take advantage of that adjustment control as it lets me use the Discrimination at four settings:

• Minimum to hear ALL metal targets in the Discriminate mode.

• Low enough to just barely accept iron nails so I can hear that masking trash in a very 'busy' environment.

• Increased enough to just barely reject iron nails, if it gets annoying, even though I'll still hear some more conductive iron, but it helps eliminate some good-target masking.

• Right at the ferrous / non-ferrous break to reject most iron but still accept small foil, thin gold chains, etc.

With Tesoro models, the ED-180 Disc. circuitry is the all metal accept setting, but the Vaquero uses more of an ED-165ish adjustment range. So I use these settings most of the time:

• A the minimum Disc. level to hear nails and a lot of ferrous targets in more open sites when I am Relic Hunting for everything out there.

• Low enough to just barely accept iron nails so I can hear that masking trash in a very 'busy' environment but reject some other problem ferrous junk.

• Increased enough to just barely reject iron nails, if it gets annoying, which helps eliminate some good-target masking in nail-infested sites.

• Right at the ferrous / non-ferrous rejection to get rid of most iron but still accept small foil, thin gold chains, etc.

No matter which make or model detector I am using, I NEVER run the Discrimination higher than the Iron / Non-Iron break point because I don't like to reject any desired, favorable target like small gold rings, thin gold chains, tiny gold pendants and so forth.

So I like my Vaquero, and every other detector I maintain in my working arsenal because they work quite well ... and they have some excellent smaller coils available for them.

Monte

Hi Monte,
I thought that the 8 “ donut would “pinpoint “ moreso than the 5.75 DD coil since it is a concentric coil,not taking into account for the larger area of the coil picking up more trash......The 5.75 DD actually acted like a filter was switched on, and targets were separated to a higher degree.....I’m wondering if the same size concentric coil would embellish on this ( separating even more ) and being even more exacting........ ???????? ......Jim