Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

vaquero and emi?

jld66

i found a very small park on my way back from hunting another site, behind a pump station on a lake that supplies fresh water to the public water supply. the power lines are coming in overhead from the road and the park is about 200 feet behind the small building. so, there are no power lines by it. when i was checking the GB before starting. i put it in all metal mode and the tone was pulsating kinda fast. high, low, high, low. i played with the GB knob and could get it positive and negative. turning down the sense did not help either. checked it in a few different areas also. i hunted for a short time in disc. and did find stuff. did not seem to affect it with searching. got regular tones on targets. i checked it when i got home and it did not do it. so there seems to be something going on at that place. would that tone pulse in all metal mess up my vaq. if i went back? i have hunted close to power lines before with no problems. i was well away from those. just never had that happen before.

Power lines probably underground.
The huge pumps are run by huge electric motors. Others are run by gravity thru turbines to create electric power.
Either way, the pumping station is causing the EMI.

1057233_cdcc76cd.jpg

Sven said:
Power lines probably underground.
The huge pumps are run by huge electric motors. Others are run by gravity thru turbines to create electric power.
Either way, the pumping station is causing the EMI.
yes, i was still able to pick up targets. if hunting there, would this somehow damage the detector?

actually the VAQ was one of the best machines i ever used when close to EMI,

kaolinwasher said:
actually the VAQ was one of the best machines i ever used when close to EMI,

Same here.

tabman

No it will not damage the detector.

I've run into similar situations with all my detectors - the amount of interference varies and usually falls off as you get farther from the cause. DId you try switching frequencies on the Vaq? Sometimes that helps.
BB

That doesn't describe the 60 cycle intrusion I've heard with EMI. It sounds more like a Diathermy Machine (which scatters all over the sound spectrum). Not much you can do with them either, even with a sensitivity control. Was a clinic within 1000 ft of you?

BarberBill said:
I've run into similar situations with all my detectors - the amount of interference varies and usually falls off as you get farther from the cause. DId you try switching frequencies on the Vaq? Sometimes that helps.
BB
thanks barber, thats the only thing i did not try. thanks, like i said, i still could hit stuff with it. just did not want to screw the thing up. sven said it wont. so, i'll go back there. the building is brick with 1920 over the door. a fence is all around it. there is small sand beach behind it about 200 feet long with a few picnic tables and benches. may get something good.
i tell you, this forum is great. the information that is shared on here is very helpful. thank you all.

Hightone said:
That doesn't describe the 60 cycle intrusion I've heard with EMI. It sounds more like a Diathermy Machine (which scatters all over the sound spectrum). Not much you can do with them either, even with a sensitivity control. Was a clinic within 1000 ft of you?
yes there some sort of small medical office across the road. well within a thousand feet. do not know what kind though. i'll give it another go as soon as i can. thanks.