Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero as a nugget hunter?

Belenus

I was wondering if anybody out there could tell me if Vaquero would be sound proposition for nugget hunting as opposed to MXT or Tesoro Tejon? I've noticed that although Tejon gets super reviews for its sensitivity, depth and dual discrimination it is not amongst recomended nugget hunters.. Why is that and why Vaquero should do better than Tejon? Anybody had a chance to try them out and compare the results?

Regards

B.

The vaquero in the all metal mode with the 5.75 coil gets the same depth as I am getting from my whites v-sat. In disc mode at lowest setting, super tuned its very close to the same depth as all metal and without the iron noise. V-sat should be for sale soon!

I'd really like to hear from someone who has actually been there/done that with the Vaquero. Seems to be a better alternative than the Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger and priced the same.
Anyone nugget detect with the Big V ?

Did an air test on a 2.5 grain nugget. The vaquero in disc mode lowest setting, sens. on 10 and super tuned picked it up out to 2.5". In all metal mode it went out to 3". Did the same with v-sat and it picked up out to 4". Surface area of nugget is a little smaller than pencil eraser dia. Thats pretty small, and you don't have to go insane listening to the all metal mode of the v-sat.

Just out of curiousity, how does it do on a 1 grain nugget or 1/3 grain? That's about the smallest size I was popping out (with a clear signal) with my MXT (5x10" DD max boost & hypersat) up in the Arctic Circle. Was looking at the V. as a possible back-up detector. ...Willy.

It's late tonight, and the tough of nuggets as small as .5 grain makes my knees hurt. The V is not a dedicated nugget hunter, but what an all around getter. No disrespect, but I want to see what I find without magnification.

Bob theres a few down here in arizona's mineralized ground that have been using them with success. I can tell you personally my test garden has a 0.4 nug buried at 4+ inches and the vaq. pickes it up no problem,that mineralized ground an lots of black sand here.

Right.. a small input... I hunted the Cariboo with the Vaquero and a 5.75 coil... as I wanted to compare it to the 'other units'! Yes, it is hot.. and as I suggested to some other folks, well worth the $$$
I first day, I encountered the problem of hot rocks...and small iron/ especially Square nails!... till noon.. regroup...retry..
Nothing but a wonderful learning experience on the first outing!... After lunch I forced myself to turn the discriminate on, 'Click' boy that was TOUGH!.. and left at zero setting... problem solved... I wish I could say nuggets kept popping out all over..Wrong!... but hot rocks disappeared.. and the constant changing the Gr. Bal. also was removed... One small lead shot from a .22 came out.. numerous empty casings as well... larger nails and iron as well... a small brass? nail?... and more larger iron!
Day 2 bought similar results.. no gold .. then a nice ZIP... a small Buckshot came out at over 3 inches... within a few minutes a small Platinum piece came out as well... then the sky opened/ a constant drizzle!... my day was over... but thanks to the enviro cover... I worked my way back.. soaked but still hunting!..
Yes, well worth the $$$....Yes, it is hot..sensitive and affordable!

I've only had my Vaquero for a very short time, and actually put it up for sale.

I have not been nugget hunting with it, but I can tell you this -- it is certainly capable. I've owned many machines, including two MXT's and this thing is really starting to impress me. I have been using it on the beach, and even in wet sand, I've found two very small gold rings.

In all-metal, the Vaquero made me well-aware of targets that seemed to be microcopic.

Right... Tesoro is noted for finding small items.... I certainly can attest to this....The Tiger, for example, picks up very small items/ lead shot, earring back, .22 empties etc... You definitely need a small screen on the beach! The Vaquero seems to have more power as well... and thus tiny objects like gold nuggets.... Thanks for your input!..

Right! No doubt that the Lobo is better, but for a fellow who only hunts nuggets a few times a season, and has a Vaquero for daily use, along with the $275 price factor, the Vaquero does a nice job!