Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero coil change nets best silver yet

Minas man

Was looking for a new detector to hunt on salt Marsh's as my Vaquero with stock coil is to unstable in those soil conditions. Searching on the net for a detector that would handle the salt marshes I noticed that many of the models being offered had DD elliptical coils or upgraded versions of the detectors had the DD elliptical.
Hey I have a 5x10 elliptical DD that I bought after the second year of swinging the stock coil. I only tried the DD a couple of times with not much success.
Now with a few more years of experience on the Vaquero and motivated I put on the DD elliptical on with confidence.
Next up was tests with clad, silver and Gold and a nail also to check discrimination and masking, all was good.
Off to the field test or should I say the marsh test and I got the V ground balanced and then switched to discrimination mode and had a stable hunt with the big score being a 1915 Canadian King George V dime that is in very good condition. I did not know at the time but the 1915 Canadian dime is one of the rarer dimes.
A good day all round with my my best and oldest silver ever and nice to swing a light coil that gets in around tight places and I didn't need to get another detector!

Minas man

That's the way do it. :cheers: Got pictures?:)

tabman

Yes I tried to upload pictures with post and they were to large of a formate.:sad: but now I am rolling.
Cold temps here in Canada affect battery life so keep your spares next to your warm body when hunting in the cold.

Wow! Nice pictures. That coin is in great shape.

tabman

I always heard you can not use the vaq on a salt beach, thats one nice coin . thanks for sharing that

Dry salt sand with stock coil is no problem here in Nova Scotia and Have hunted the Florida Gulf coast also but Dry is the key word. Where I am hunting now are tidal marshes that are not flooded but do flood at times. I guess the next test is to hit the salt water and see if it can be tuned for those conditions.

Setting for this last hunt with 5x10 wide scan DD 4 pin Delta coil
Ground Balance in AM (all metal) mode
Threshold 2-3 o'clock
Sensitivity 10 or higher
Discrimination Iron

The key is to do the tests at home to see how the DD coil and setting react with what you are hunting for, I knew that I was going for silver so that was my focus in fact this was the first hunt that I had no Penny's not one cent! Very strange as the Vaquero is a penny hound.

Minas man

Shows the value of detectors that accept a variety of coils and why one doesn't fit all situations.
BB