Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero coin depth...KICK ME ! again

KVM2

I went to two old houses that I wanted to hit for years. Only got aluminum at 4 to 5 inches. Milk bottle caps.. All the modern coins were down at 5 inches, dimes up as high as four. Remember Forrest Gump, "Stupid is as stupid does?" My settings were Sensitivity 5, Threshold, E in Tesoro. Settings for ground balance, and not upped for hunting.. So, went out this AM and buried a clad dime at 5.5 inches, same settings.... Rubbing the coil on the ground ,I got a signal, not great, only marginal directly under the sweet spot. A LITTLE to either side, and no signal. Thought, this sucks...Set the threshold on max, and sensitivity as high as it would go without chatter, then a half hair back.. A whole new game, another, easy, 4 to 5 inches above ground and getting a signal.. Inch or so above the ground, the cone much bigger, signal much stronger.It was stupidity on my part...I was splitting and stacking wood prior to hunting. Tired No excuse, because I've done this before....There are times when I pack the Vaquero next to the Silver, I think it complains about having to put up with me. Anyway, before the rains come, a large lawn to mow, then I'll go out and turn the Vaquero loose on full power. I am going to put a sign on my collection bag, CSS !...Check settings Stupid !

You may find that with the increased depth of super tuning the Vaquero might get more of a love for rusty iron.

Mark

Bro you are not stupid , just inexperianced with the detector , see you are figuring it out you are smart. that goes with many new detectors, . I think we get worried we got a dud but then find out we are the dud , just dont know the machine yet

Don't feel too bad. I hunted an area over 30 minutes with the batteries out of the machine. It was an area I hunted a lot, so I knew the targets are few since I cleaned most of the junk out. I use headphones and normally turn on before putting my headphones on my head. Startup beep hurts my ears. Consider it a learning experience.

Its just another day at the office!
At least you weren't fighting your Etrac for 45 min, in TTF and with a small coil so you wont miss anything, stopping to clean the coil cover thinking it was too dirty and the cause of the nonstop phantom signals that wouldn't pinpoint. . .
when it was just the sunray probe intermittently hitting your jacket pocket after forgetting to flip the probe switch back. . .
I heard that happened a few times to this guy I know. . .
I think he even shut the machine on and off a few times and redid the ground balance a couple times too,
or so I heard. . .
Then there was that time I heard about that he drove a half and hour to a new site with everything but his headphones . . .
I have no firsthand knowledge of such things though. . . :-0