Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero day 2

bd1024

I took the Vacquero black out again today. (2nd day), and was surprised at how quickly one can begin to learn the machine. --- I was feeling a bit cocky at first, my first 4 digs all being coins, and then the screw cap man appeared!--The Vac reminds me of my Deus that I recently sold, (minus the lying screen) ---- But in all honesty, I like the Vac much better. --- It is really a pleasure to use in a semi clean area, but can be a bit taxing in the high trash areas. ----I ordered another lower rod today, for quick changeovers to the Nel Sharpshooter coil. ----After using the Vac for about 2 hours or so, I went to the truck and got my AT Pro with the Cors "Hunter" coil.---After about 20 minutes it went back to the truck! ---- Made no finds with it, and decided it was just to damn heavy for an oldster like myself. -----Ended the day with 6 quarters, 6 dimes, 1 nickel, and 1 penny. ---Deepest was a dime at about 5" ----but I think if there had been some deeper targets, I may have hit them. ---- Definitely am developing an ear for the "round sound", and the 11x8 coil is a pleasure to use. ----Though I may need to buy the other stock coil that comes on the standard Vac. --Sometimes I just like using a concentric coil, and you cant beat them for pin pointing. -----I think I am liking the "beep and dig" method of metal detecting, and while I am sure I have loads yet to learn, I had a good time. ---- Does anyone know of a good site other than to ebay to sell detectors?----I have a couple that I won't be using anymore. Thanks, Dennis

I purchased the 8" round concentric donut coil for my Vaquero. It only comes with an 8 foot cord. I sent the coil in to Tesoro and they shortened the cord to the standard 3 foot length for me. I like it better than the 8x9 coil that comes standard on the Vaquero. It is lighter and better balanced than both the 8x11 widescan and the 8x9 concentric, and gets similar depth. I believe that the 8" donut coil is Tesoros best all around coil.

bd1024 said:
I took the Vacquero black out again today. (2nd day), and was surprised at how quickly one can begin to learn the machine. --- I was feeling a bit cocky at first, my first 4 digs all being coins, and then the screw cap man appeared!--The Vac reminds me of my Deus that I recently sold, (minus the lying screen) ---- But in all honesty, I like the Vac much better. --- It is really a pleasure to use in a semi clean area, but can be a bit taxing in the high trash areas. ----I ordered another lower rod today, for quick changeovers to the Nel Sharpshooter coil. ----After using the Vac for about 2 hours or so, I went to the truck and got my AT Pro with the Cors "Hunter" coil.---After about 20 minutes it went back to the truck! ---- Made no finds with it, and decided it was just to damn heavy for an oldster like myself. -----Ended the day with 6 quarters, 6 dimes, 1 nickel, and 1 penny. ---Deepest was a dime at about 5" ----but I think if there had been some deeper targets, I may have hit them. ---- Definitely am developing an ear for the "round sound", and the 11x8 coil is a pleasure to use. ----Though I may need to buy the other stock coil that comes on the standard Vac. --Sometimes I just like using a concentric coil, and you cant beat them for pin pointing. -----I think I am liking the "beep and dig" method of metal detecting, and while I am sure I have loads yet to learn, I had a good time. ---- Does anyone know of a good site other than to ebay to sell detectors?----I have a couple that I won't be using anymore. Thanks, Dennis

Dennis, if you have trashy areas, you'll definitely appreciate using a concentric for not only pinpointing, but also 'cause they discriminate out the iron (nails, bottlecaps) at a lower disc setting than the 11x8 Widescan (or any DD coil) will.
If you have heavy trash, the small 5.75" concentric is awesome!
BTW - I don't see steel bottlecaps disc'd out with the Widescans 'till I turn disc up to past pulltab. At that point, you've also discriminated out smaller gold and nickels.

Though the 9x8 concentric works pretty well, I'm another who prefers the 8" round donut. But, unless you're buying brand new, the 9x8 is easier to find in the "Delta" (4 pin) than the 8" donut is in 4 pin. None of Tesoro's "H.O.T." detectors came with the 8" donut as a stock coil.

bd1024 said:
I'd like to hear more about your comparison with the deus. I don't own either, but am interested in the deus, but I also like the beep and dig machines (I have a compadre).

To my ears, ( and I do have very good hearing)the tones on the Deus are sketchy, and not easy to distinguish. --- The frequencies are adjustable, but all sound like fingernails on a chalkboard. ----The depth on a Deus is hit and miss, and the learning curve is a steep climb. -----I like the Vac due to it's simplicity, and am amazed at how much I DO NOT miss the VDI screen, (which in my opinion is terrible on the Deus anyway)-----For 1/3 the price, I highly recommend the Vacquero.--Dennis