Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero Is Such A Monster Machine!

CousinEddie

I just recently purchased a new Vaquero (Black model with 11x8 DD). This machine is a monster!! I had a Vaquero a year 1/2 ago and sold it to get $$$ to purchase another machine. I liked the Vaquero, but needed the extra $$$ to buy my T2 Classic Green. I dig everything, so the loss of ID is no big deal at all. I hunt old Colonial era farm houses and many of the targets are super deep. Once that Vaquero is super tuned is goes waaaayyyy deep. My ground is mild to moderately mineralized depending on the site. I am pulling smaller coins at depths of 9-10 inches with no problem. It goes ridiculously deep on larger relics like buckles, musket balls, crotal bells, etc. I have owned many top end machines that cost over $1000 and I will say without a doubt that the Vaquero will hold it owns or smoke most top end machines. I love my T2, don't get me wrong, but the Vaquero is a deeper and more sensitive machine than my T2. This is just my opinion.

The Vaquero with the RSD coil is a deep machine in good ground. I have dug some deep dimes in some nasty soil here in Tennessee.

Yesterday I dug 8 wheat pennies , no silver ,,darn , in an old church yard . I had the sens turned up to the end of the red and some of those pennies would approach 10 inches , they were inches deeper than my digger blade . I found 1 nickle that was deeper than that . So yeah , crank that machine up and it will go deep and it talks pretty too .

CousinEddie said:
I just recently purchased a new Vaquero (Black model with 11x8 DD). This machine is a monster!! I had a Vaquero a year 1/2 ago and sold it to get $$$ to purchase another machine. I liked the Vaquero, but needed the extra $$$ to buy my T2 Classic Green. I dig everything, so the loss of TDI is no big deal at all. I hunt old Colonial era farm houses and many of the targets are super deep. Once that Vaquero is super tuned is goes waaaayyyy deep. My ground is mild to moderately mineralized depending on the site. I am pulling smaller coins at depths of 9-10 inches with no problem. It goes ridiculously deep on larger relics like buckles, musket balls, crotal bells, etc. I have owned many top end machines that cost over $1000 and I will say without a doubt that the Vaquero will hold it owns or smoke most top end machines. I love my T2, don't get me wrong, but the Vaquero is a deeper and more sensitive machine than my T2. This is just my opinion.

Congrats,

Your going to give away the secret a lot of us know...Lol

I also replaced my older Vaquero that I sold with a new black one for similar reasons. I had regretted that decision every since I did it. I do really like my Black Vaquero and my Black Tejon both are fine detectors and will run with the best of the ID machines on the market. I personally prefer the non ID Tesoro detectors myself.

The new 8x11 RSD coil is a sweet coil, it's very light and balanced and gives top performance on the Tejon and the Vaquero.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

* Tesoro Black Tejon
* Tesoro Black Vaquero
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* White's M6

@ Bill G,the small Tesoro coil on the Vaquero i assume thats the 5.75'' version,is that the Concentric or WS version ?? if so how do you rate it please,i have the 11x8 WS coil on mine,its 'OK'ish' on open sites but i will be mainly detecting on trashy roman/saxon sites and the large coil is not the best tool for the job,but the 5.75 would tick most of the boxes,ground conditions usually mild,but its just the trash that is the biggest concern.

Your thoughts on this one would be most welcome,the Vaquero is being held back i feel with the larger coil.

Mega said:
@ Bill G,the small Tesoro coil on the Vaquero i assume thats the 5.75'' version,is that the Concentric or WS version ?? if so how do you rate it please,i have the 11x8 WS coil on mine,its 'OK'ish' on open sites but i will be mainly detecting on trashy roman/saxon sites and the large coil is not the best tool for the job,but the 5.75 would tick most of the boxes,ground conditions usually mild,but its just the trash that is the biggest concern.

Your thoughts on this one would be most welcome,the Vaquero is being held back i feel with the larger coil.

Mega,

To answer your question a 5.75 or 6" coil is a must have accessory coil for the Vaquero or any detector in trashy areas in my humble opinion.

I also just ordered a Nel Sharpshooter 5.5x9.5 elliptical just because I want a mid Size DD coil and love this particular size coil for separation and ground coverage in medium trashy areas. I hope it performs as well as the factory Tesoro 8x11 RSD coil ( excellent coil).

A reply below I made the other day on the same question ask to me below,

After hunting with both the 5.75 concentric and the 5.75 DD/widescan I give points to the concentric for pinpointing (I normally just X the target with no problems and very seldom ever use the pinpoint button) and finding its way through trash plus being a better discriminator by design. I give points to the widscan for covering a little more ground faster because you don't need to overlap as much with it as you do a concentric also the widescan may be a hair more deep in super mineralized ground and do better on super small gold items like a small nugget (I don't nugget hunt with my Vaquero). Both these coils take up such a small ground foot print I just don't see the concentric having a grip of issues in the more mineralized ground verses the widscan unless the ground is just super bad.

If I had to give up one 5.75 coil over the other since I have both it would be a tuff choice but I would probably keep the concentric for the reasons stated. Others mileage may vary on this but that's my 2 cents.

Also a mid size coil like myself and others have said is nice. Again I like the 8" 4 pin concentric donut coil with the short cable (one of my favorite Tesoro coils). On another note I find the new stock 11x8 RSD coil to be a superb coil and use it a lot in open park and other more open areas and for it's size is works in trash very well and is light and balanced.

Pic's of my favorite Tesoro search Coils below for the Tejon and the Vaquero.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

* Tesoro Black Tejon
* Tesoro Black Vaquero
* Tesoro Sand Shark
* White's M6

I have the same vaquero black with the 5.75 concentric and I dug a 1974 half today at about 11 inches. cant believe that coil can go that deep. thought maybe there was something else in the plug or pile of dirt but there wasn't, ive never dug a coin that deep with my whites v3i or my at pro.