Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero Low tone vs. High tone....

Mike(NC)

Time might be right to try out the Vaquero. I believe the lower tone is standard, but have heard that many prefer to send it back to Tesoro to have it modified to the higher tone. Any comments from those who have heard both tones? Thanks

I am interested in any comments on this also. I had a Cibola with the standard tone and just recieved a new Vaquero today with the high tone modification. I will be putting it together after work today and giving it a try.

Ok Mike, I had a chance to try my new Vaquero for a couple of hours yesterday evening and here are my first impressions. Before I begin let me say that I am probably not as qualified to comment as others would be, because I am relatively new to the metal detecting hobby. I have had three machines and the Cibola (with standard tone) was the last machine that I had, and had probably put about 200 hrs operating time in with it. I am 48 yrs old and have some total hearing loss in the higher audio frequency range, and so I was first concerned about the higher tone on my new Vaquero, but the tone frequency is well below the range where my hearing loss is (so no problems there). Also, let me say that I am using Killer Bee headphones. The first thing I noticed is that the high tone seems to be much easier for me to hear. However, I did seem to have a little more trouble distinguishing subtle differences in target response intensities. This is only my first couple of hours with the machine, and I think that will improve with use. So I guess what I am saying is that I am probably going to like the high tone much better than the standard once I get used to it. The primary reason being that it is so much easier for me to hear.
I don't want to make this to long, but I would also like to comment on my first impressions of the Vaquero over the Cibola. I did not think that I would see much difference in the two, but I was wrong. I don't know if it is due to being able to adjust the ground balance, (which by the way is very simple and quick) or a difference in cicuitry, but the Vaquero seems to be much more sensitive than my Cibola was and still runs quiet. I live in northeast MS and the soil behind my house is the typical hard red clay found in this area. I don't like to see people make comments that are obviously exagerated, and so I just want to make a couple of honest staements about what I observed during my first test with the Vaquero. I headed out to my test garden and quickly ground balanced the machine for a good neutral response. I had the machine setup in the configuration that I normally use, which is:
1. sensitivity around 10 or slightly above
2. discrimination 1 mark above iron
3. threshold set for just a good steady hum in all metal mode
All objects in my test garden are buried a measured 4 inches deep. I headed into the test garden and passed over the clad quarter I had buried and the first thing that I noticed was "bamm!" how loud the response was. So I moved on over to the dime and again was suprised at how clear and loud the response. Before I finished playing in the test garden I went back over to the quarter and began swinging and raising the coil until I just lost it and the coil was 10 inches above ground which put me 14 inches away from the quarter 4 inches in the ground. This was with the settings listed above. I don't know how others feel, but is pretty impressive to me.
I hope this information helps in some way, and I am sorry for making the reply so long.
Happy Hunting,
Scott

Yep, its that new HOT circuitry and the Tejon is a tad hotter and the tone is adjustable. The high tone seems better for me also. I really like that 12x10 widescan coil. You can cover an area quick if its not to junkie. The 5.75 is great around metal poles. The other day I found an ear stud and a few feet away I found the lock that slides on the post with it. Greg Moscini at Trans Bay metal detectors sent me the two coils to try and I am glad he did. Boy that guy really knows alto about detecting. He can mimic the different tones to listen for on the phone incredibly well. Maby I can get him to make a DVD.

Mike

Thanks for taking the time to check out your new machine and then share it all here. I know that was very helpful for me. Thanks again...Mike

I didn't want to seem as though I were putting down the Cibola-----I was far from going there.I definitely think the Vaquero has an edge over the Cibola, but I would not hesitate to recommend the Cibola to anyone that does not need the adjustable ground balance. I really liked my Cibola, but I think from what I have seen so far that I will like the Vaquero more.

Scott

Could you do a test again in your test garden and post depths for the sensitivity position adjustments. In other words sens at 9 over quarter, sens @ 8 over quarter etc. down to about 2 just to give me a reference of the depth ranges per sensitivity settings. The reason I ask is some of the playgrounds and volleyball courts I hunt are about 6" deep of sand then black paper then ground underneath that. I would'nt want to pick up a coin 3" under the black paper which would be 9" total. I could adjust the sens to limit my depth to the area I was hunting.

Thanks.

I would be glad to do that, but I don't know if the information will really help. The ground conditions have changed drastically since I did that last test....we have been in a severe drought here.
Since I have never actually tried that for my own information I will do the test and post the results for you. Hopefully I will be able to do this over the weekend.
Scott

Ok, here are the results I saw in the parched clay here on the quarter buried 4" deep. I started out with the Vaquero super tuned, and then returned the threshold to a normal level for the rest of the test.
Super tuned........15"
Max boost..........13"
10.................11"
8..................9"
6..................8"
4..................7"
Seven inches was as low as it went at any sensitivity setting of 4 or below. As you can see I am not getting as good depth in the extremely dry ground as I did in my previous test, so your ground conditions may give results that are quite a bit different. It was interesting though to run the test and will try again at a later time when we have moisture levels in the ground that are a little closer to normal.
Happy Hunting,
Scott