Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero only found one coin yesterday

GaryF

But it was a 1843 Large cent :)

I'm soaking it to try and take off some of the crud. Will take a pic if it starts to looking any better.

HH
Gary

That's great! I was out with my Vaquero today and found 165 coins, but no large cent.:tongue:

Can't wait to see your pictures.

tabman

In two days I've spent 8.5 hours searching along about a quarter mile of old stone fence that had long ago fallen over. Thru crazy green briars and down a steep hillside.

I'm so sore I can hardly stand / sit / move ...lol...Believe me when I say I'm not going to feel human again for days.

Thank goodness there are no ticks to worry about.

I do want to heap praise on Avons Skin So Soft...Sure does keep the beasts away.

165 coins?........I'd have to beat a bank teller with my V to get that many coins.

Nice job and HH
Gary

Do want to note that at this place I've found about 15 coins and this was the 3rd large cent...The rest are Indian heads, Seated, Canadian tokens, Store tokens and a few nickles.
It was a farm from the 1700's and burnt in 1909. A 9 year old boy died in the fire so I'm staying away from the cellar hole of the main house...Just because.

TIP

80% of the coin finds were between the main house and the stone spring house in case someone finds a similar location
and only has a limited amount of time to hit it. So find the straightest line between the water source and the house and that will
be a good bet for the older coin finds.

Had to edit to add that some were found hunting in all metal mode because they were just too deep to pick up cleanly in Disc. Keep that in mind
when knowing something has to be there and you're getting a lot of tics and crackles and think it's iron. Take a plug of about 3" out, switch back to disc
and rescan. You'll know then a lot more about the target and can disc up from there to decide.

And btw....I really really detest shotgun brass.
HH
Gary

Thanks for the pointers. What was your disc indicating on you really deep coin finds? If I get a deep repeatable signal, even if it's indicating pull tab, I'm digging!:tongue:

tabman

A clean signal in disc is what I wasn't getting.

After removing the items that I did get a good repeatable signal on, switching to AM I went for the ones that gave a good signal intermittently like iron will at times in Disc.
Finding a target that was deep and small "Not screaming at me" I would remove a plug and click it back into Disc and setting it usually one notch below nickle to knock out
most iron and rescanning the hole it would give a much better signal. Hunting in AM is a good thing in places like this but very time consuming as iron is everywhere
and you have to go slow...."there is a lot of digging involved" . Worth it in the end but wow am I worn out.

Honestly I don't thumb the disc to see what it could be in a place such as this. There are just to many items out there that are valuable that ARE NOT coins. I just don't care to waste my time digging iron right now.
I do know that there have to be items being masked by the iron but until I remove everything in this phase I'm not to worried about it. I'm the only one that detects here and other than hunters and loggers
I'm probably only one of a dozen people that has seen the place in a hundred years as it is pretty remote.

Gary

Great find!!! I found a 1850 large cent with my vaquero,,,,at 10",,,, gave it a peroxide bath and olive oil soak,,,,turned out pretty decent..