Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero: Only one tone?? How does that work?

rluna

I was thinking of getting a Vaquero.
Being new to the hobby and only having experience with a metered
3 tone Ace 250 I don't understand how you are able to tell the
difference between a quarter and lets say a penny if there is only
one tone and no meter as with the Vaquero.
My Ace is pretty darn accurate at identifying objects.
I would think that if a machine was not going to be metered
like the vaquero that it would at least have different sounding tones.
Could someone explain how the vaquero identifies different objects?:confused:
Thanks,
Randy

What it identifies is trash from treasure. well they all do right? But the tesoro line will indicate a good signal from a bad one by the sound of the audio. It has no tone but the information the machine sends out when you go over a target is really quite amazing. If your relying on a meter for metal detecting then your missing some good stuff. And on top of that compared to the 250 performance wise. Well there is no comparison at all. But they both have there place.

[quote jeff@middlesex] But the tesoro line will indicate a good signal from a bad one by the sound of the audio. It has no tone but the information the machine sends out when you go over a target is really quite amazing.[/quote]

Thanks Jeff: I am assuming then that with only one tone, something has
to be different. And since there is only one tone the only way it could give amazing information is for that one tone to maybe breakup or get
louder or quieter. Would that be correct??
Randy

Yes more like audio changes. Iron crackles or has a clipped sound to it. Good targets have that smooth sound to them. I know I am generalizing but it really does sound like that. So much so it is unmistakable and very easy to pick out the good from the bad.

Jeff is right, but you will have to spend a little time with it before you are confident about what the detector is telling you. If you are willing to spend this time and be a little patient you will probably love the Vaquero.........

Any cons to a Vaquero??
It's funny, I was just out today with my ace
250 and got a target in the nickel foil range so I passed it up.
For some reason I thought I would check it again.
I thought, "what the heck, I'll did it." Dug up a nice mans titanium wedding band.
Almost passed it up because of the target id :(
If the Vaquero can discriminate as well as you all are saying, I have
no problem with learning the machine. I have a place behind some
bleachers that has all kinds of clad and pull tabs, wire ect. I'll take
the Vaquero there and dig everything and learn. Thats what I did with
the ace 250. I was also considering the Tesoro Cortes but I keep hearing
so many good things about the vaquero. Any feedback on the Cortes??
Randy

I'm no expert on the vaquero but after owning some top of the line metered machines and then switching to the vaquero I am impressed.the meter was a crutch for me.The question was always dig or not,what does my meter say? how does the meter and tones change on this or that target?Do I have the machine set up right?
I thought that by not digging certain numbers that I was getting most of the good stuff (WRONG)!Like everyone has said if it beeps dig it.It does not take long to get the hang of the Vaquero.by digging a little more junk you find the gold rings.I found my first two gold rings in the same hole with .78 cents.A metered machine would have gave a very jumpy reading and it would of been a toss up whether I dug it or not.With the V it gave a good solid tone and I dug.
just my two cents
good luck and HH"ing

Brian, that helps a lot. Your post has pretty much clinched my
desicion. Plus I'm looking for a machine that will help find the gold rings more.
Having only an ace 250 its a little leary venturing out into the water
with out my water wings aka.(meter) But as everyone is saying,
I think that I will be pleasantly surprised.
Randy

Glad I could help,But remember no machine is perfect and you will dig a few more tabs.
I read an article somewhere that said the time it takes to beep and dig is a hole lot shorter than to beep,check meter,re sweep,check meter and decide to dig or not.It made a lot of sense to me
Good luck
HH'ing

With the Ace, when I hit a target I will sweep it in both directions
to make sure it's a solid hit. Is that the same type of thing you should
do with the Vaquero also?
Randy

with any machine you should sweep in two direction but if it is a target on edge or next to iron it may only give a beep in one direction.so you have to decide what to dig and what not to.Again if you don't dig you won't know what your missing.

Ordered a Vaquero today!!!:crazy:
I haven't felt like this since I was a kid the
night before christmas...:clapping:..lol