Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero scores Seated Half Dime!

GaryF

My lady and I went out today to hit some tot lots. She used the Bandido and I the Vaquero. We found buck or so in change and she found
an earring (nothing special). We headed back to the car and talked about where to go next and decided to stop off at an old friends place
(the bad guys house in Silence of the Lambs) actually. I had breakfast with Jodie Foster during the filming but that's another story.

On previous trips there I had found a merc and a barber dime and quite a few Indian heads and knew more was there just waiting for me
to pass the coil over and free them from their dirt nap. We passed the owners as they came out of the drive way and they said to feel free
and they may see us later and drove off. We parked and set up the detectors and started finding the usual yard trash then I hit a nice old buckle
and then a small makeup compact. She wasn't having a lot of luck so we moved to another side of the yard and BING I got a nice hit. I dug the plug
and as I pulled it back I saw a small silver coin fall to the bottom of the hole. I yelled for her that I had silver and she came over while I pulled it out.

I knew just by looking at it that it was too small for a dime. I poured some water on it and blew it off and could read "Half Dime" on the reverse but
for the life of me could not see anything other than it was a Seated Liberty and couldn't read the date other than 18_4 as my eyes just couldn't focus on it
and we both forgot to bring reading glasses..lol

I found a 1883 Indian Head about an hour after that and we headed home. Upon getting in the door I grabbed my glasses and saw 1854 with arrows. I could also
read the liberty on the shield but there were a couple really small nicks on the front that I didn't cause for a change..haha.

As soon as I can figure out how to use the macro feature on my camera I'll edit and add a pic.

Thanks and HH

congrats on the nice finds

Neat old coins, I like them, makes finding the modern change, ho hum. Go get some more with your:tesoro:

Great find, those things are tiny. I'm still trying to find one.

Congrats on a nice hunt and an awesome find!!!

Awsome find for sure,,I love my vaq.,just have not run the coil over one of those dandy's,,,,, yet!!!
Just curious how deep it was???

Great recovery!!!

Swing Ahead!!​

Way to go, Gary
Congrats on the Half Dime, Thats one sweet find for sure.

Thanks all

It was about 4" deep but was really close to some iron...I have worked the same area with three different detectors now
and was surprised that I had actually missed it. BTW my camera sucks for Macro so I'm going to try using the macro thru a mag glass
to get a clear shot...charging the camera batteries as I type this. I'll take a pic of the other things I've found in the same yard as well.

HH

Gary
Very nice coin and the pictures turned out good, so I wish you much more success in your future endevours.:detecting:

Thanks

If you look close there are two small holes or nicks in the coin...one under her armpit and the other next to the shield.
Upon looking closely at them and especially the one by the shield it looks like it was an air bubble that burst thru.

I don't even know if that is possible but that's what it seems to me.

Don't even try to calculate the odds of finding something like that. That's a really special find. :beers:

Here are some of the other things found in the yard minus the Indian heads as they got tossed in with all the other ones and not sure which is which.

The pics turned out great!! That Half Dime is in excellent condition. Congrats again on an awesome find!!!

Thank ya much...

Hey Tab...didn't notice till a few mins ago that you live in G'Town.

I used to live off of Mason right inside the 240 loop.

Used to have a place to hunt in LaGrange when I lived there..I do miss that hunting.

Sure don't miss Memphis tho...To much crime...BLAH

HH