Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

vaquero sensitivity

kansa54

On another metal detecting forum someone stated that the main mistake new Vaquero users make, is using too much sensitivity. He goes on to state that you should keep it around 6 in most soils for greater depth. Has anyone else found this to be true?

That's probably a general statement the guy was making than a issue with your Vaq...I know I made that mistake when I was brand new to detecting, tried to run top end all the time for fear of missing anything...finally learned a guy can run a lighter sens, and punch down deep and actually hear a good target in most soils..so that 'greater depth' statement he made, was just in reference to the fact that at half or 3/4 sens, you can hear and find the targets you seek amongst all the other noises I figure.:shrug:

I believe its a common misconception that new users of any rig go through, they try to run full sens, not realizing the game we are in..which is all about target acquisition...
Mud

kansa54 said:
On another metal detecting forum someone stated that the main mistake new Vaquero users make, is using too much sensitivity. He goes on to state that you should keep it around 6 in most soils for greater depth. Has anyone else found this to be true?

That was Terry and what he said is true. Most people think running the sens. high means more depth. In reality the sens does not control transmit power, it is fixed. Sensitivity is amplifier gain, meaning a weaker signal will get amplified and could possibly be heard if above the threshold. So people think that this will allow them to hear those fringe coins and thus more depth, and in some cases it might. In a trashy area it also amplifies all the small trash. I too thought I had to run my detectors wide open so as not miss any good targets. I have found that in a trashy area I am more successful if I just turn the sens. down to around 6-7. Out in the open, I run it wide open!

Here in my soil I lose a lot of depth if I turn the sensitivity back out of the red boost area on my Vaquero and Cibola. They run quiet and get great depth at the higher setting. I keep my threshold set at a slight hum and the discrimination set to just where foil caps discriminate out.

Do your own testing at your location to see what works best for you.

tabman

not for me in the red gets way down into the ground , if you want to ignore junk targets less may work for that but if you want depth please put it in the red

I'm not a deep coin hunter, but a Jewelry hunter combing The Soccer Fields & Tot Lots looking for The Yellow & bling Loot, All my targets are in The surface to 5 inch range, I keep my Sensitivity around 7-10, not for The depth but Rather for the smaller targets, I have mild soils over here in Southern Ca, Unlike The soils they have in The battlefield States.

Next time I go out I will try lower settings and see what The V will do.

I agree with Gunnar. I put mine in the red to get the best depth. Today I went to a park and tried the 6 setting compared to the max. There was no comparison. It would definately hit alot harder on max than on the lower setting.

i run my vaq at 10 or a bit lower in the trashy areas. mine gets to chatty in the red with a neutral or slightly neg. GB and threshold at 2 o'clock or just able to hear it. supertune it seems to be noisy also and gives way too many false signals. most good things i find are 6 inches deep or less anyways. only sometimes i will get a coin deeper than that.

If its chirping its too high. I run it as high as it will go without any falsing.