Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero vs Golden Umax

sqwaby

I get down about 8-10" max on coins with a V, and would like to try a G umax. Do you think it will go as deep as the V. Also I've noticed the the V will not totally disc out iron even when its disc is set in silver range when the target is large(like a 3 or 4" pipe collar or similair) sometimes it will start to break up as you reach max disc. is this normal?

sqwaby said:
Also I've noticed the the V will not totally disc out iron even when its disc is set in silver range when the target is large(like a 3 or 4" pipe collar or similair) sometimes it will start to break up as you reach max disc. is this normal?
Lets take the last, first. Is it normal? Yes. Large iron overloads the sensitive circuits of todays detectors - I can't explain it better than that. Most detectors, no matter who makes them, have this same issue to some degree.
Contrary to popular opinion, the biggest bugaboo we face in detecting is not the pull-tab - it's iron in the soil. In all it's many forms, it causes no end of trouble for 'tectors .

I get down about 8-10" max on coins with a V, and would like to try a G umax. Do you think it will go as deep as the V?
Well, yes and no.
I've done it with mine. Last season, I found a quarter at a measured 10.5". Allowing for operator error and optimism, we'll call it 8-8.5"
In fact I've always been a little SUPRISED at how well the Golden responds to good targets at depth. After all, it's supposed to not have any depth... at least that's what many people say. When you consider that it is simply a hot uMax with tones and notch added, it stands to reason that it has some good depth capacity.
What it does not have is an adjustable ground balance and whatever extra "oomph" the Vaquero has. Under the wrong ground conditions or at extreme depths, the Golden could suffer.
But we're really comparing apples to oranges here. These two detectors each offer a different suite of features; comparing them on the same playing field will always leave something coming up short. Instead, take them each for what they are.
If you really want the extra inch or two of raw depth that the V offers, then keep it. For everything else, get a Golden. Between them, you'll cover about all the bases.

PS - What I'd really like to see is the tone and notch features of the GuMax added to the V. Now that would answer a lot of prayers!

sqwaby said:
I get down about 8-10" max on coins with a V, and would like to try a G umax. Do you think it will go as deep as the V. Also I've noticed the the V will not totally disc out iron even when its disc is set in silver range when the target is large(like a 3 or 4" pipe collar or similair) sometimes it will start to break up as you reach max disc. is this normal?
[size=large]As Dave mentioned below, large iron is always a problem. Some larger-then-nail iron might be rejected easily, while other larger sizes are tough to knock out. Just like an aluminum can that doesn't fall out where you lose the beaver-tail or ring-pull tabs Or, consider a silver half-dime, then a silver dime, silver quarter, silver half and silver dollar. They are all 90% silver (US coinage), but due to their size they can read higher than where you would reject the smallest one.

You didn't mention the coil used or where you are located and the medium you were hunting in. Here in NW Oregon, even though the Vaquero has manual Ground Balance, if the Golden

Thanks for the replies. I was using the stock coil. GB was set and checked as I moved to different locations at the site. I was running sens at 8+ sometimes in boost. Soil condition is mild. Monte, what is it that you like about the Bandido over the V, I bid on one on Ebay awhile back but didn't get it.

The Bandido circuitry is still available to this day and made on the Tiger Shark as I read.

If the Bandido II uMAX equals the Vaquero on coins. Then that new HOT circuitry on the Cibola and Vaquero did not help all that much then ??

The Silver uMAX must be almost the same as a Bandido uMAX, except without Ground Balance and Threshold and being a silent searcher ??

(Tesoro should offer a Euro with 10x12" or Bandido still for sale for those who want it. I myself am waiting for SuperTraq technology put on another model besides the Lobo ST in the future. Will Tesoro ever come out with a new machine, ever ??)

This is going to get interesting.Dan bought a Golden UMax.I am buying Dave's Vaquero. As back ups, we have my Silver UMax"Sir". and a Fisher1266x..Also ground sweeper coils for both the UMax's, and the Vaquero...A 4 inch sniper coil for the UMax models...All that hardware and Winter coming in..Sometimes you think there is no justice in the world.. Cordially NAD