Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

VDI List

rob.ream258

Is there a VDI list of which number applies to items that have been found?

I was an ATPro user for many years and there was a listing of 1-100 with all that people have found for a given number. Living in Florida where everything sinks fast, I needed a deep-seeking machine. I did my research and made the transition to the Fisher F75 LTD and have found some real deep stuff. With being introduced to this site last week, I'm amazed at the wealth of information being freely passed on this forum. I wish I had this last year when I made the transition and not waited my time asking for info on the "Friendly" site.

I completely understand that soil conditions, type of soil, the amount of iron, .....ect will all effect the actual readings, but a general list would be great. For instance, I've never found foil in the 80's nor have I found dimes in the 20's. I'm far from being proficient on the F75 beast, so my list would be very limited. Which is also the reason I'm asking if one exists........anything is better than nothing and flying in the dark isn't working out too well.

If none exists - could we start one? Do you "experts" have the time to start one?

thank you & HH.

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure what your are looking for, but it sounds like a list of numbers where items come in at on the meter. If that is the case your owners manual has snap shot listing of ID numbers.

Just too many items, shapes and sizes to list them all and give them a number. For me it depends on what I am hunting like picking up fresh dropped coins, you can get the number for the coins and call all the other number trash or gold. Like dimes will hit about 71, nickels 31, quarters 81 on my machine. But now if you are looking for deeper coins those numbers can change, so you kind of have feel your way through a few coins and see what is coming up at what number.

I just took a stab at you question.

Ron in WV

If you are mainly hunting for coins, I would dig just about everything from 70 reading and up. Some Indian Heads will fall well down into the 60's and for nickels, 29-31 is typical, but any that have some depth will often bounce a couple of numbers + or - of 30. Most pre 82 Memorial cents and wheat cents come in around 69-72, dimes a bit higher and silver dimes a couple numbers higher then a clad dime. And so on. Deeper targets will generally be a bit more bouncy. Just starting off with the 75 I would suggest you dig a wide range of targets to get a good feel for how they read in your soil. And keep in mind, tone, tone, tone, first and foremost. Welcome and good luck. The F 75 is a good one. HH jim tn

I've never seen a " list" for ID # on this forum but my f5 has a " list" right on the ID screen starting from 1 to 99 and id's those items in order from lowest to highest #. I'm basically a silver coin hunter myself so like Jim was saying in the previous post I'm looking for 60 plus readings with steady readings. Jewelry hunters look for a lot lower # and then there is the relic hunters who hunt in all metal modes and dig anything that beeps. Welcome to our forum, hope this helps a little bit.

Welcome To The Forum :detecting:

Rob Wrote said:
[size=large]:help:[/size] Is there a VDI list of which number applies to items that have been found?
thank you & HH.

The image below is straight from an F75 User's manual!

Copy & Paste From The F75 Manual said:
PROBABLE TARGET I.D.
The probable target ID zones at the top of the LCD display represent the signal ranges
produced by various coins and types of metal objects. When a metal target is detected, the
microcomputer analyzes the signal and categorizes it based on what kinds of metal objects
usually produce that kind of signal. The microprocessor then displays a rectangle-like icon
along the top of the LCD screen above the corresponding category.

For instance, if the detected signal fits within the parameters usually exhibited by zinc pennies,
the microcomputer will categorize the signal as "zinc penny". The LCD screen will then
illuminate the block above “ZINC”

Copper pennies (pre-1982) will usually register in the DIME zone.

Most gold jewelry is small, and will tend to read in the 16-55 range. Silver jewelry usually has
more metal in it and therefore tends to produce higher readings.

Since different metal objects can produce similar signals, and since minerals in the soil can
distort the signals, the probable target ID's are just that -- probable. There is no way of
knowing for sure what's buried other than to dig it up. Experienced metal detector users have
a rule of thumb -- "when in doubt, dig".

If there is anything else we here on the forum can help you with, just ask!

A forum WV brother!

P.S I just added a second image of the F75 VDI numbers from the manual.

This...
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?35,532160

Give or take depending on soil conditions.
Also the amount of iron in the vicinity matters because the top end Fishers are designed to up-average all signals and numbers around iron.

Thank you all for your replies - this last post by REVIER was exactly what I was searching ask for.

Would the forum members find this useful if a running list was made so we al can add a find to a particular number? For example, I found a 10K mens class ring at 60 or a small gold cross bouncing around 45.

thanks again and HH

rob.ream258 said:
Thank you all for your replies - this last post by REVIER was exactly what I was searching ask for.

Would the forum members find this useful if a running list was made so we al can add a find to a particular number? For example, I found a 10K mens class ring at 60 or a small gold cross bouncing around 45.

thanks again and HH

Your welcome.
Listing known targets might work, doing it with gold will do no good sorry to say.
Unlike coins gold targets are all different.
Different sizes, different shapes, different weights, different alloys and karats, plus how they are laying in the ground might affect the signal.
Broken or crushed rings will be different than complete ones.
I found 4 large men's gold class rings and one smaller one...all were slightly different but within 48-52 on my Fishers but all were shallow and deeper ones could be different.
I found a gold ring laying between two pieces of iron with my F70 and that thing was many numbers lower when air tested out of the ground away from the iron
Gold is the ninja of all metals and a master of disguise and because of that and how every piece acts so differently from others is a big reason why we don't find more.
I wouldn't have it any other way because every time I find some I am surprised and thrilled.