Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

very nice fluty sound

i got like my first high tuned fluty sound. se. said it was deep. like 7-8 inches i was by a large oak tree in a old park. my numbers read 00-31 did a 90 and read 00- 30 os i dug and i dug got down around 9 inches. and nutn was there. why did this happend. all the signs were there. went over the hole again. never got another sound. man i just knew i had my very first silver:nopity:.

You disturbed the "halo" effect of the object in the ground. It happens. When you loose your solid signal, keep digging or use a pinpointer...

use the pro coil. Not sure why..but it happens to my buddy the Yeti too.

I have no answer for you...but I know it can getvery frustrating. Keep at it...and keep diggin'.:thumbup:

I don't know yet if this applies to the SE, but on other detectors I've used, a phantom signal can often be brought back by lowering the discrimination. When the signal was first found, the 'halo' effect allows the signal to make its way past the disc. But when the ground is opened up and the matrix is disturbed, the halo disappears, and no more signal. But, if it's due to disc kicking in, then a null in the threshold should be present instead.

Also, from what I've read the SE seems to not like air as much as soil. Is it possible that some of these phantom signals are caused by the absence of soil in the hole between the target and the coil? One possibility might be that there's a bit of a no-man's land between how deep the pinpointer can reach, and the coil also not seeing it due to the air gap now in the hole. So if the target is at 10 inches, and the hole is only 7 so far, neither the pinpointer or the coil see it. You fill back in the hole, and poof, there's the signal again! The coil sees it now since the soil is back. Does anything like that ever happen?

HH,
DirtFlipper

DirtFlipper i may go test the hole again see what i come up with.i tested the hole with my pistolprobe at 7" and got a good tone but could not find it. maybe it was a few inches deeper?

I had this happen to me Saturday night, while hunting a old lot, nice sound readings 00-30 and 8" down no target. I was sure to get something out of the hole, even my Sun Ray pin pointer wouldn't pick it up, even switching to pin point no target. I guess my machine wanted to see me dig in a shell cover lot.

This happens to me once in a while with my Explorer II, and I will power off- power back on and that Seated Half that I just heard....is GONE! :confused:

2nd the hot rock idea. Have them over in Ark where we go once in a while. Also a very small piece of aluminum close to the surface will show a deep silver coin signal.