Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Very ornate dandy button

What a nice dandy for sure beautiful designs.

Well done -- it's a great find.

When an old button comes up, we might think it doesn't matter much. To the guy or lady who lost it, it might have mattered a lot.

They didn't have the convenient stores like we have today. Let's think about it for a minute.

... My coat is missing a button, and I don't have a spare button.

... I looked all around for it, but couldn't find it. It's gone now.

... I could cut off all the other buttons, and sew all new ones on, so they all match. But that was my fancy coat. I liked it, and my wife liked it, so now I'm going to hear about it.

... Or I could just add one different button, but it would look pretty odd to the folks around town, especially in church on Sunday. Not a good option.

Plus, it gets real cold in Connecticut, on this farm, in winter. I sure wish I could button my coat better.

- - -

Even a button, everything we dig up has a story.

Cheers,

Joe

Nice button Gary that’s a big farm for one guy! Back then they reused those buttons I’m sure

I'm sure it caused some distress for the person that lost it. For the most part those people were tough and frugal. Not like today.

Thanks Blind Squirrel........... I’ve seen a bunch of dandies dug on you tube but never one that has such a detailed design. Still not a G W tho.

Nice, great shape. I do have a question though? It appears dandy buttons and most flat button shanks are off center. Is that because of primitive manufacturing technology or by design? I've never heard that question addressed?

To be honest with you, I’m new to metal detecting and I do not have an answer for you. I’ll google it and see what I can find out. Thanks.