Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Very Pleased New AT Pro Owner

Night Crawler

Just wanted to introduce myself and say Hi to everyone here on this forum.

I spent many hours reading the different forum posts here at findmall and watching You Tube videos. After careful consideration, decided to take the plunge and buy the Garrett AT Pro 3-months ago. I have had it out for about 40-50 Hrs now and so far this machine doesn't stop amazing me.

I'm sure there are great machines out their, but the AT Pro really can't be beat in price, weight, features and performance in my humble opinion. I had a ML detector a year ago and as my friend said to me, you spent more time adjusting that thing than you did actually metal detecting (and he was right). My AT Pro is so much more "User Friendly" (and much Lighter) than the other one I had and I really have fun now metal detecting.

Also wanted to say thanks to all of the members here for their "great" support and help here at the AT Forum. This was another factor in my decision making.

:)

Welcome to the forum.
Good choice in the AT PRO.

Welcome! I think you'll enjoy the AT Pro, I sure do!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

I'm still learning a lot about the AT Pro when I take mine out, but man, this thing sure gives you a wealth of information when It does light up on a target. I just have to spend more time understanding it.

I dig everything at this point in Pro Mode/ Zero Disc./No Iron Audio to just get the feel of things and make notes on how each target presents itself through Sound and Display (when available) on my AT.

I dig a lot of targets that are deep enough to just give off sound without display. This is what I'm trying to learn first (the different sounds) to better understand this machine.

Again thanks for the warm welcome folks.:)

NC

Thanks metalhead and John LA.

I'm much happier now (personally) metal detecting with the At Pro.

When I read about how deep this machine went when I was researching it, I thought to myself, hmmm, ok, might be a bit of a stretch but I liked the other features it had and made my purchase based on that (Price, Features and Weight (not depth)).

It wasn't until I received the machine and took it out how sensitive this machine really was. The first time out I was getting feed back on something I couldn't figure out at first, then realized it was my steal toed shoes causing it. I didn't think it would pick my shoes at 11/2 away but it did so I had to extend my coil to the second notch from the end to eliminate that problem.

Then another trip out with my new Lesch (type) Digger I was getting feed back again from the machine when I started digging with. That was around 2 feet away from the coil and i found that hard to believe until I actually air tested it and it was at least that distance, so now I have to turn the coil away from where I plan to dig to prevent that.

The last one really threw me though (the drainage pipe under the road I was on). I had just backed up on a dirt cross road to park and start metal detecting with a friend of mine. He got his stuff out first to metal detect, then i followed. I had everything ready to go and my friend was about 10 or 15 feet in front of me. I decided to start metal detecting right at the front my van and work out from their. Right away I got a string signal and was all set to start digging when my friend started chuckling and said you might want to have a closer look at what your about to dig up, so I did, a drainage pipe (a bit embarrassed about that one).

Needless to say, I ran the coil a bit farther down the road inline with the under ground pipe to make sure it was what I was picking up, and it was. That pipe I thought was around 2 feet under the road. I had the opportunity a couple of days ago to go back to that same spot and really test it out again, I can honestly say it was closer to 3 feet, 2 feet of soil and almost 1 foot above that soil (in the air) before losing that signal.

Now I'm a believer on what people were saying about the AT Pro. Indeed it does have that potential for depth.

Honestly, that's not as important to me as it is being able to handle the hot rocks and high mineral content I metal detect in which my machine does very well, it has good separation and a good recover speed which is more important to me personally, although it is a nice feeling to know you won't be leaving much behind with that kind of potential though.

Maybe mines an odd ball I don't really know, that's why I call it FranknPro, hehe.

When I learn how to upload here, I'll try to get some pictures or videos of the claims I made so people can actually see for themselves, I know it's hard to believe because it was for me in the beginning (but not anymore).

NC

Yep, it goes about as deep as I can stand to dig around here! Yesterday, I went out to a picnic grounds in the Gila Nat. Forest where I had found a 1918 penny a while back under a tree near a volleyall court. I was determined to find more old coins under that tree, to the point that I dug an aluminum rivet at 10" or so, and it was really tiny. ( I was experimenting with Pro Zero mode and the ground balance backed down until it just started to chatter.) Didn't find any more oldies, but did find a few other goodies that I'll post later, going out to take another crack at the CCC camp near there.

Thanks for sharing that William-NM.

I tried that manual off set after AGB, but found my machine to get a bit funny in the head. Maybe it's the high mineral content I'm in that causes that erratic behavior but didn't find it helped me to much at this point. Maybe I'll try that when I hit the tot lots and milder ground. 10" on an aluminum rivet? I believe that (now),hehe.

Digging those deep ones give me a good workout that's for sure. I have a digger I picked up for about $20.00 that really helps cut through the tuff stuff like river bed rocks and frozen ground around the shorelines I hunt at. The serrated edge really helps when I go into the moss area where their is a lot of small roots that need cutting to break through the top layer.

I didn't really like the blunt end on it at first, but realized it helped a lot in not damaging coins when I'm digging them out. It's very well constructed and heavy duty as I have pried rocks out of wholes that were over top of targets when I shoreline and river bed hunt. It has measurement markings on the blade and the side of the rubber handle to give you an idea on how deep the whole your digging is.

I measured the digger, and it's 12" long from point to handle end. I have dug wholes that have gone above the handle a few times. It may not be the best digger out their, but I'm used to using it now and it doesn't bend on the first trip out like the other digger I had sent to me did.

NC

Picture:

That's a sturdy looking digger! I have a similar one by Fiskar's, except it's razor sharp at the tip, so you definitely don't want to hit the target with it. Several times, I've been wondering what happend to the target and found an aluminum Bud Lite cap speared on the tip, poetic justice! Here's my stuff:

That's a good variety of tools their William-NM and I can see how each would serve it's purpose.

The Pin Pointer I think is a given though. That's a must have item in the field for sure. I bought my Garrett pin pointer about a month after I got my detector, I was sure lost without it during that first month.

Thanks for the photo.:)

NC

The AT-Pro will continue to amaze you for a long time to come. I bought one right after they came out and I'm still amazed at what this machine finds sometimes. Not only that but it's how it finds stuff. Sometimes the machine has an iffy signal but I dig cause it sounds so good. Yep good machine for the money and then some. Try the sniper coil in trashy areas and tot lots.

It is a good price indeed for this machine Thound.

My last one cost twice as much, went half as deep, and I spent half my time adjusting it. Thanks but no thanks, got rid of it after the season was over, no fun at all with that one.

I have a great time with FranknPro.

Thanks for the Sniper coil advice Thound,:)

NC