Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vintage White's Metal Detector Best

Good question, should get a lot of different answers. I think Whites biggest mark was the Coin master 5. This was the first detector made to cancel out the ground minerals and gave you the most depth ever on a detector. They improved on it through the years,but the ground balance is used by every company to this day. It opened up areas not hunted before, and at depths never seen with any other detector. It loved nails and iron, but also deep coins, and most Civil War relics. Most new detectors today would nothing with out ground balance, a throw back into the 1970's! Ii have been using Whites since 1975, hard to beat the older machines. Good hunting!

I always liked the XL-PRO last version with smaller box as it was the apex of the design. It may not have the Manual ground balance of the 5900 ,But you can manipulate the auto trac and lock it to get it close enough in IMHO. I have one with a Tone I.D.Mod. installed that is fun to use.

6000-di series 3, if the meter was dead center pulltab/nickel it was a nickel every time. Found a lot of silver with it too.

Hi,
I once owned a 6000 di pro sl and it was a very good unit except for it´s weight.
The battery holder with the 4 C cells weighed as much as my whole modified Tesoro control box.
Swinging it for hours on end was not fun - the main/only reason I sold it.
As mentioned before from another thread poster - the Whites analog meter was dead on and a joy to look at.
I guess you could call the XLT vintage by now but it is more of a hassle to change settings on the go as it was turning a knob on the 6000.

hh
skookum

This was my first Whites and simply was the deepest I owned until today. And it seemed to hit deeper the faster the coil swang....ah...the old days . Woodstock
garys relics said:
Good question, should get a lot of different answers. I think Whites biggest mark was the Coin master 5. This was the first detector made to cancel out the ground minerals and gave you the most depth ever on a detector. They improved on it through the years,but the ground balance is used by every company to this day. It opened up areas not hunted before, and at depths never seen with any other detector. It loved nails and iron, but also deep coins, and most Civil War relics. Most new detectors today would nothing with out ground balance, a throw back into the 1970's! Ii have been using Whites since 1975, hard to beat the older machines. Good hunting!

good post. You're talking about the GEB supreme, right ? Yes it immediately doubled depth overnight when that came out in about '74 or '75. However, the disc. mode was a lousy TR disc. As long as you weren't in an area where you needed to disc. out nails, it was awesome for its era !

Yes. The final generation of Eagle (with black box and 950 coil) was a very fun machine. However, the depth is ... uh .... "dated". I began to get spanked on depth in turf hunting, when machines like the Explorer came out. But otherwise, the eagle II SL was a great machine.

White's 5000/D IMO!

Telling your age. The Coinmaster V Supreme GEB D/b was the best simply because it was head and shoulders above the four competitors. Replaced it with a Nautilus in the late 70s and didn't look back!

George

Have you ever used a small coil on that detector? I bought a small coil for my Series 3 but the I.D. was off, all the coins read lower than they did on the other coils.

deanmike109@yahoo.com said:
the 6000 di pro sl best of the best most accurate of all found hundreds of coins good depth also

Yup. I know of guys that .... to this day ... have not changed from their 6000 Di pro.

I go with the 5900di Pro SL for overall depth, have had the 6000 XL and it would be my next choice. I have a 5900di Pro SL c/b that is almost mint that I do not use anymore as my old joints can not take the weight.

I'd have to go with the XL Pro as the best White's analog machine. I've had almost all the other machines mentioned in this thread, and they are all great machines, but the XL Pro brought all the improvements together. The circuitry was perfected, using high quality surface mount components that are more reliable and quieter. Swing speed is just slower so you don't have to whip it like a golf club to get good depth like you do the earlier machines. The smaller box is easier to swing and uses the same AA battery holder as the V3i and the other newer machines. It would be nice if it had manual ground balance like the 5900, but I'll take the smaller lighter design of the XL Pro over the 5900 any day, worth the tradeoff of not having manual ground balance. Plus, if you know the machine, you can "trick" the auto balance into doing what you want anyway. And the XL Pro has the great analog meter and all the knobs in all the right places. I'll never part with mine.

The whole 6.592 kHz series were excellent. Probably never been a better discriminating detector ever made. And sensitive! I like to hunt old home sites that are now farm fields. I can take my XLPro down the rows and it will sniff out coins before the coil even gets directly over them. Add that to a forgiving sweep speed and you have an excellent choice for coin shooters and relic hunters alike. I bought three XLPro's new when I heard they were going to stop making them in 2009. My brother got one, I use one and the other one had been saved as a backup. Just last night I listed it for sale on the Detector Classifieds. Hate to part with it, but after 9 years of having it as a backup, I realized I don't need two of them. HH Randy