Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Virgin Site Silver Totals So Far......

Hello all,

It's been too hot and dry to go detecting this last week so I thought I'd give an update as requested on how the virgin site is producing. I posted on this back on June 4th of this year. First though I want to mention that this will be my last post on this subject here on the Whites Forum as I have been using my new Explorer SE Pro on my hunts. The DFX recovered 32 of the coins shown and the rest were recovered with the SE Pro. I plan on using the SE from now on.

This site has been a dream come true. I have been detecting nearly 30 years and it's like the old days when you dug a lot of silver each time you went out.
I pretty much covered the area and am going to hunt it now from different angles. There are woods and brush bordering the area and I can't wait until fall to hunt there and see what I can find.

Silver Count to date: 128 coins

2 - Franklin Halves - 1954 & 1963
1 - Walking Liberty Half - 1943 D
7 - Barber Quarters - 1895, 1903, 1906 D, 1907 O, 1911, 1914, & 1915
4 - Standing Liberty Quarters - 1925, 1927, 1928 D & 1929
22 - Washington Quarters
48 - Mercury Dimes
44 - Rosies

Wheats gazoo and some clad as well. I can't believe I didn't get any Barber dimes yet LOL!

I've included some pics of the site starting with the path that leads back to it.

My best day was 31 silver coins. Average 7 to 12 per hunt so far. Most were in the 4" to 7" range. A few were deeper. The Halves were shallow at 2-3". Almost every silver coin came out of the ground completely black. I used a salt/vinegar mix in an aluminum pie pan then some baking soda to clean them up. I've never seen this happen with this many coins???. The soil doesn't seem any different than what I've seen over the years.

Last winter I sold my silver coins (109) and rolled the money into a gold coin. It took me over 3 years to get to that total. In about 5 weeks I surpassed it!

Just keep on doing research as there are many sites like this out there still!

We need some rain and they're calling for it in the next few days. I plan on getting back out there when the ground is better.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Jim
Ohio Coinhunter

You are my hero !!! Awesome. What is the history of this site if you dont mind sharing ??:thumbup: EJ

Hi EJ,

This site belongs to a well to do member of my newly extended family. It is in a rural area of Ohio. Apparently in the late 1890's and early 1900's, a few of the farming families and their church friends used it for picnicking. The kids run around and played games as well. As the area grew in population more folks went to the gatherings, etc. up to the late 1950's. The original owner had died by then and I guess the kids started to sell off the land. The current owner purchased this land back in the early 1960's. He built a small house which is more like a get away place and used it and the property for his kids, etc as a weekend retreat. In the 1980's a huge pavilion with a concrete floor was added as well as a man made pond stocked with fish. The owner is near 80 now and his adult son and daughter use it with their familes for weekend fun. Kids, grandkids and great grandkids, nieces and nephews, quite a large clan. My wife and I have gone there ourselves the last couple years for cookouts complete with horse shoes, volleyball, etc..

It was through conversation and the subject of the history came up and that led to asking to hunt the area. Reluctanctly the owner agreed as he wasn't too sure about the hobby and thought I'd be digging huge holes looking for treasure! LOL. His son explained it to him which was better coming from him than me the new guy and he said go ahead. So now I just make a phone call and let him know when and what time I'll be there and for how long plus tell what I find and that pretty much paves the way.

This area is sandwiched between another property owners corn fields and woods. From the road it looks like a corn field. You'd never guess that this place is back there.

The bad thing that I see is that the pavilion and pond area probably had coins too that will never get recovered now due the landscaping. There are pockets of heavy trash, foil, tabs, etc from the get togethers from the 1970's to now. Trust me this is a drinking clan! I was also told that if you hike a bit in the woods there is a couple of foundations from early settlements. The woods is too thick now and loaded with poison ivy and bugs and I was advised not to attempt going in there until fall.

The brush areas and woods surrounding the cut area should be good hunting in the fall as well.

This was just one of these sites I'd never have known about or have the opportunity to hunt if it wasn't for the luck of having my family extended through a marriage.

It just proves that there are still productive spots out there.

Jim

Dang that place is producing like a rabbit in heat...Looks like a nice relaxing place to hunt...heart attack with each hole...lol

HH,

Unbelievable Jim. I'll keep an eye on the other forum for your updates. Great job.
HH
Scott

Nice Job on the finds and the spot to hunt. Just think, we all probably pass a place something like this every day and never give it a second thought. :blink:

Hi Jim, Dose he have anyone else that need to marry, i will take them if it will let me get in there and hunt with you. I just live across the river from Ohio. You must be a very lucky guy to get a wife and a good place to hunt. Be good to both and you will go far. HH Dean

Hey Flintstone,

Sorry the youngest girl just turned 16! LOL! No I didn't get married ( I am already), my daughter did. These folks are from my son-in-laws side.

n/t

Jim,
Thanks so much for sharing the history of the land which you should appropriately call the HONEY HOLE. You did a great job "surveying" the area before the hunt. EJ:clapping:

Several years ago they dug up an old ball field that was once a turn of the century meeting place.

Got close to 100 silver..including 6 barber quarters, barber half, jar of wheaties and 50 or so indian head pennies...

Be careful with the pictures as your neighbor may be frequenting the forum and may have company the next time you go out..Old smart trout fisherman never let anyone know where the big ones are kind of thing...

Oh Dan-Pa, C'mon ....

We are interested in the story of it all. And what a good one it is.... It really motivates me.... EJ :blowup:

What a dream spot! It's really good to see one pop up and lots of luck to ya! (Hold it!.....You already have that!.....Lot's of good work to ya!!!) Your gonna have fun!:beers:

how many indians did you get out of there??? BTW very nice!

Weston

You sure that place was not used for a seeded hunt sometime in the past....j/k :wacko:

HH,