Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vision by saltwater beaches

stateguyt

I was told that the machine falses by the salt water can anyone confirm this.I owned the explorer and the explorer2 and what happened was water washed over the coil it would false.I cant see spending almost twogrand and have a machine that does not work properly

I have been down to the beach 5 or 6 times--from dry sand down to wet sand= No Problem

I did NOT put the coil under water! I did set it down on wet sand=No Problem

Jerry

Ditto here on wet salt sand................ no water hunting with the Vision.......... I will leave that to the PI water machine.

>>I was told that the machine falses by the salt water can anyone confirm this<<

It makes me wonder- WHO could have told you this? Do they have a Vision? Only been out less than a Month to the public !

Who knows :-|

Jerry

I was told by a dealer that they had that problem and he is only a whites dealer that is why I am asking.Maybe it is inexperience because of how new it is. I figured I could get some feedback here before I make this big investment for a metal detector.Like I said I dont want the same problem I had with the explorer.

All Dealers are not equal.

I got the Vision from my dealer before he knew anything about the unit. I was sending the dealer info as it came out. LOL

At least you have the net to find info.

Good Luck

Jerry

Hi Terry,

Oahu is famous for interfence issues. Anything going on in that regard? I have it on good advice that the Vision can handle mineraliztion issues very well. Any comment on hot rocks in white sand? Hawaii is one of the worst detecting environments I've encountered considering the salt water, hot rocks, and electrical interference.

Glad to see you got a Vision. I'm extremely interested in what you think. Should it be stripped and put in an underwater housing?

Steve Herschbach

You are right that we have real bad electronic interference here. I was very pleasant surprise that I could run the Vision in the salt beach mode gain at 15 with turbo boost on with no problems at a beach near the airport while looking at over 7 different TV and radio stations antennas with in 1.5 miles. The Honolulu airport is about 5 miles from this beach. I always use this beach to test new machines for handling electronic interference.

I tried using the prospecting mode two days ago at Waikiki beach on the dry sand and I did have to drop the gain down to 10 while still using turbo boost. Otherwise it is a little too touchy but then I did not do any thing else except turn the threshold down. But then, I am very sure that the Vision was seeing the salt in the dry sand. I was digging small pieces of tin foil like crazy while hoping for small gold items. Did get a good number of coins and two small silver ear rings post.

Monday or Tuesday, I will go to an area that has five different types of hot rocks to see what the Vision does. Since this area is in the wet sand, I will run in the salt beach mode.

Had the Vision at the Treasure Expo in Myrtle Beach and took it to the beach after the 1st day. Selected the SALT BEACH program and made no other changes to it setting wise. Balanced it and went off from the dry sand to the wet sand and to the point the waves swept over the coil (and my new leather shoes . . . pays to look towards the ocean). The threshold remained rock steady and the tracking as set in the preset program worked very well. There were a few times where I got a false signal when hitting the coil against a shell embedded in the wet sand but compared to an MXT and a DFX that I've had in the same areas, it was so stable and queit that a few times I had to sweep the scoop over the coil to make sure it was still working . . . and it was.

So if you are being told the Vision falses on salt beaches, I'd take a second look at the source to see if they have actually tried it there or have an ulterior motive to make that claim . . . . . . as some are saying, "The Vision is not your old Whites" . . . . . . and no, I am not saying there is anything wrong with any Whites as I have used them for most of my 45 year career in the field with great success just that the technology in the Vision is entirely new and works entirely different . . . . .

Andy Sabisch

If you are getting falsing, either you have a problem with the coil or you are not setting the detector correctly as that should not be happening . . . . . the new Pro coil is very solid on salt beaches and waves sweeping over it have no effect . . . we had an E-Trac & and Explorer on the beach this weekend in that area with no issues.

Andy Sabisch

Andy Sabisch said:
Had the Vision at the Treasure Expo in Myrtle Beach and took it to the beach after the 1st day. Selected the SALT BEACH program and made no other changes to it setting wise. Balanced it and went off from the dry sand to the wet sand and to the point the waves swept over the coil (and my new leather shoes . . . pays to look towards the ocean). The threshold remained rock steady and the tracking as set in the preset program worked very well. There were a few times where I got a false signal when hitting the coil against a shell embedded in the wet sand but compared to an MXT and a DFX that I've had in the same areas, it was so stable and queit that a few times I had to sweep the scoop over the coil to make sure it was still working . . . and it was.

So if you are being told the Vision falses on salt beaches, I'd take a second look at the source to see if they have actually tried it there or have an ulterior motive to make that claim . . . . . . as some are saying, "The Vision is not your old Whites" . . . . . . and no, I am not saying there is anything wrong with any Whites as I have used them for most of my 45 year career in the field with great success just that the technology in the Vision is entirely new and works entirely different . . . . .

Andy Sabisch

Andy thanks for the report. I know with all the sand down there that there are not many targets to be found. Glad to here that it ran well on the beach. Did you do any testing on buried targets
or small gold rings in the wet sand. Was wondering how the sensitivity to small stuff was affected in salt mode.

Jason

Again, not the best time of year to hunt the Grand Strand as it was still too cold to go in the water. A good deal of replendished sand is still there so targets that are old are deep - probably to the point of being out of range.

We did hit some targets and compared signals between machines - marked them & compared them & then dug them. The deepest target was a quarter at just over 10 inches and there were a few rectangular tabs are 8"+ - these came from the wet sand / surf area. There was some falsing when you hit something with the coil on the Vision over the wet sand but nothing like what you tend to see with VLF units - see my comments above on how it handled the wet sand.

The dry sand was a breeze as you would expect. I did get one thin 10KT gold chain which two other detectors did not even see . . . it was only 2" to 3" deep but laid out straight and pretty dainty (I'll get a photo later . . . . my daughter is not sure where she put it or at least that is what she is claiming).

One odd thing occurred when I walked under the pier and there must have been electrical wires that raised cain with the Vision. I was in the Analyze mode and the audio was going wild and the screen showed what looked like a saw tooth across it . . . . . . walked 5 feet away and it stopped. Other detectors did not get this so I am not sure what the Vision was seeing . . . . . other than that one "event", it worked well from the dune line to the surf.

Andy Sabisch

Andy Sabisch said:
Again, not the best time of year to hunt the Grand Strand as it was still too cold to go in the water. A good deal of replendished sand is still there so targets that are old are deep - probably to the point of being out of range.

We did hit some targets and compared signals between machines - marked them & compared them & then dug them. The deepest target was a quarter at just over 10 inches and there were a few rectangular tabs are 8"+ - these came from the wet sand / surf area. There was some falsing when you hit something with the coil on the Vision over the wet sand but nothing like what you tend to see with VLF units - see my comments above on how it handled the wet sand.

The dry sand was a breeze as you would expect. I did get one thin 10KT gold chain which two other detectors did not even see . . . it was only 2" to 3" deep but laid out straight and pretty dainty (I'll get a photo later . . . . my daughter is not sure where she put it or at least that is what she is claiming).

One odd thing occurred when I walked under the pier and there must have been electrical wires that raised cain with the Vision. I was in the Analyze mode and the audio was going wild and the screen showed what looked like a saw tooth across it . . . . . . walked 5 feet away and it stopped. Other detectors did not get this so I am not sure what the Vision was seeing . . . . . other than that one "event", it worked well from the dune line to the surf.

Andy Sabisch

Thanks Andy one more Question and I will let you be. On the small chain was it in the wet or dry sand and were you in the Salt Mode. Some one told me the salt mode would make it impossible to find small gold

The chain was found in the dry sand (or at least damp sand). I was still in the SALT WATER program . . . and made no changes to the factory preset settings.

As far as not being able to find gold in the SALT WATER . . . . . . . I would find it hard to belive that Whites would actually design a detector that operated smoothly on the salt water beaches yet could not find gold . . . . . . isn't that what we are looking for there?

Andy

Andy Sabisch said:
The chain was found in the dry sand (or at least damp sand). I was still in the SALT WATER program . . . and made no changes to the factory preset settings.

As far as not being able to find gold in the SALT WATER . . . . . . . I would find it hard to belive that Whites would actually design a detector that operated smoothly on the salt water beaches yet could not find gold . . . . . . isn't that what we are looking for there?

Andy

Thanks for the info. Was sent a email by a beach hunter and his Quote was in salt mode you can forget the small gold rings and chains as it will not pick them up.
Guess with your find that pretty much kills that theory. Thanks again.

Jason

How small do you want?
In Salt Beach. Top of high tide line:
MVC-730S.jpg

Jerry