Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vista Gold Disc., 2 Tone Sweet Spot Setting

Sven

A few things I noticed with my Vista Gold when in disc mode using the Super 6 coil.

Boost mode only works up to the first large dial segment, after segment that disc doesn't function well so you have to switch boost off.
I also found testing gold rings, canslaw, foil and coins if the disc control is turned up to the 3-4 segment, all targets fail to produce a target sound.
Everything is disc'd out. Then from the 5 segment to full clockwise adjust disc works again and will pick up the small gold, larger gold, coins, canslaw.
So I am not sure if this is a defect in the pot or is meant to be that way?

Now I did notice something really interesting between segment 4 and 5, there is a sweet spot where all targets are picked up in disc mode where canslaw and gold, coins
produce a slightly different audio. And if you sweep the coil across the canslaw or large foil, the target sound diminishes or breaks up. The gold and good targets still sound
the same as if sweeping slow. Depending upon the hunting trash circumstances slow or fast recovery will be a better option at that disc setting.
That sweet spot when switched to 2 tone mode the foil or canslaw gives a mixed target sound, while the gold-good targets give off a high tone, the iron gives off a low tone.
And if a gold ring is next to the canslaw, it gives off the mixed tone with a high tone. Even when a large wrought iron square nail is thrown into the mix, you can almost hear all three
targets.

Now reducing sensitivity once your in the sweet spot to about 25 seems to turn the Gold into a gold jewelry, coin hunting machine. Whether your in the 2 tone or disc mode.
I did mark the sweet spot precisely so when I go back out on my next hunt with those settings.

Now any time I do some testing with one detector, I will grab the other VLFs just to see how they react or compare. I found the Vista Gold audio to me, seems to have enough variances
to give a clue to what is buried than the other detectors. Found I liked the Golds audio much better when set in the sweet spot.

you know Sven when I first got my RG-1000 the audio is almost identical to the vista gold and I could tell you when I got into a pull tab on the begging and end of the swing you would get this tiny spit if you will and tone would be sharp the only one's that would fool me were the gold colored old beer beaver tails they would always be silky smooth like a coin and also not sure what your running for head phones but calrads or cheap treasurewise head phones worked best for me to hear all the nuances I tried a expensive pair grey ghosts and everything sounded the same........couldn't get the nuances at all from the ghosts so I learned quickly but we'll see on the new 11" coil how it works I've learned of late there is a area I've hunted for quite some that does and i'll give a full blown report

I am using the cheap Calrads, funny thing have been using them for the past two years. They seem to sound better on most of the detectors I have had over the Killer Bees, Grey Ghosts etc.
And they are comfortable to wear as well.

Forgot to mention, at the sweet spot setting, you don't get a lot of depth. Good for shallow hunting to about 4", maybe deeper? As the testing was done above ground.

this could be a generation difference to possibly in machine's I had gen 1 and 2 I think? it was before the new metal stemed potentio meters not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not but anyways when I get the new one i'll go right through it to evaluate it see if there's any difference

Appears I have a bad Super 6 coil. When I put on the larger elliptical coil, I cannot duplicate the results found with the Super 6.
The Vista Gold works like it should with the larger coil, no issues what so ever.
Too bad, brand new Super 6 coil with less than 3 hours on it.
Unfortunately it's early ones made during 2013 when DT had coil problems.
Rossi, said ship it back for repair or replacement.
Just checked shipping from Canada to Bulgaria, almost half the cost of the coil. I really can't afford, the cost at this time, nor do I want
to turn the coil purchase into a $200 coil by the time all is done.
The coil works fine in two-tone or single tone all metal mode with no issues, it's the disc mode and in boost mode where it does not work properly.
Knowing what is does in disc mode and where to set the control its still usable in disc mode, with boost off.
So right now, stuck with the coil. Really like the size.

well iknow its kind of a pain in the butt .........but maybe do some experimenting until you can get it fixed or what not at least you will know how that particular coil will work with the quirks to maybe get you through I know on the older coils before the thick coil wire you bumped it and would false but I got use to it

Sven,so what are you going to be doing about the bad coil situation ??? it seems a shame that the post would cost about half the price of a new coil,have you been in contact with Deeptech as see if they can help you out.

Seems a shame that some detector brands bend over backwards to help some folks out and other not so helpful.

Mega, :) you don't speak about DeepTech, yes ? Don't know if exist client who will say that we are not helpful :) Even for units what was sold 10 years ago in USA ( such received about a month ago for repair ) we are helpful :). Regards :)

Rossi did offer to repair or replace it if I returned the coil to them. Which is what most manufacturers will do.

So I don't fault DeepTech at all. The problem is not with them, the problem is with Canada Post who charges an arm and a leg to mail anything.
Heck it cost more to mail a parcel to the West Coast of Canada than it does to ship the same Parcel to the UK or Russia. Then I can ship the same parcel to Florida USA
even cheaper.

What am I going to do with the coil. It is usable in two tone and all metal mode, boost on or off. Will not work in disc mode with boost on, usable in disc mode with limitations.
So right now, going to keep and use it. For what I am using it for, it will work fine.

Buying an overseas detector does have some risks when it comes to warranty repair, replacements. Those of us who buy, know we may have to incur shipping costs we don't like.
Once a DeepTech importer/distributor/warranty repair station is set-up in the US, this wouldn't be an issue at all.

My new knobs came in put them on and marked out precisely where disc mode works and will be useful with the Super 6 coil.
First off in boost mode, disc will not work, no target report if knob pointer is moved past the first 6 small lines (green mark, barely able to see in pix)
In non boost mode disc will work up to the green, stops reporting until you go clockwise past the green into the red.
I marked off precise settings in red for hunting in disc mode. First red indication from left is for hunting the smallest gold while large bent iron spike nails are disc'd out.
The second larger red section just after the green is where small foil is disc'd out, small thin ladies gold rings are still accepted as well as Canadian clad coins on edge.
A good setting for hunting gold rings and coins in two tone mode as well.
Once you are at max disc, thin gold ladies rings will no longer respond.
Iron volume marked in red seems to be a good spot for coin and jewelry hunting.

The above only pertains to my defective Super 6 coil. At least its usable.

I have the Calrads also. Keith Southern recommended them when he first tested the Vista Gold. I have Grey Ghost, Blackwidows, and Koss headphones and none of them give the nuances on signals that the Calrads do for the Vista Gold. The new knobs are a big step up in quality as I put them on both the Vista Gold and my RG 1000 V2. The information on the super 6 coil problem is interesting to hear. I will have to check between the three coils that I have for the Gold to see if there are any differences in how mine air test and ground test several targets again. I have the stock coil and the 14" round coil as well. That is one big coil but very light for its size. Just been too hot in North Carolina to do much other than beach hunt for the last month. A constant 95 to 100 degrees here. Your settings in the pictures above are very close to the settings I have with the super 6 coil for the areas I normally hunt. I hope your coil continues to work well for you. It is a great detector coil combo...Stuart

Decided after all to bite the bullet and ship the Super 6 coil back for repair or replacement.
Found the usefulness of the disc mode in its current state with this coil, not very useful after all.
Might as well get a coil that works correctly so the detector works correctly in disc mode.

well good to hear Sven I know its expensive but once things are settled I think you will be happy going on a hunt in a few minutes but I have finds from last week I will post later just haven't a chance 2 real nice dropped musket balls and a buckle and bullet slag and a casing from a 38 cal.