Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vista Pin-Pointing Techniques

kittlitz

I notice that some of the higher-end Vistas like the Smart+ have a pin-point button, while others like the Gold and Gold Gain appear not to. What's the recommended way of pin-pointing with those machines? I'm familiar with the DD coil trick of wiggling the coil back until the signal disappears, but was wondering if there are other techniques people use with the Vistas. Thanks.

-Ken

An easy technique is to wiggle the coil over the target and pull the coil backwards over the target center, when you no longer hear the target, stop it should be at the tip of the coil.

Another technique, you can try is wiggle the coil over the target and stop for a second and see if the detector retunes, then a quick wiggle see if the target narrows, do this a few times and see if it detunes more to an even narrower target. Now some DD coils will will pull the target downwards and pinpoint more to the center of the coil. On the T2 with a Nel coil this method works quick and easy. See picture. I believe I was able to use this method when I had the Vista Gold. Try it.

Thanks very much, Sven! I hadn't heard of the "detune" method before, and will give it a try.

-Ken

Hi Ken,
like Sven I am also using the original Vista Gold, I combine the wiggle backwards with the DD coil standard trick of rotating my approach by 90 degrees.
When I have an interesting hit I will sweep it a few times to see if it changes tone or breaks up, if it remains consistent I will then do the wiggle while drawing the coil towards me.
When I have established a visual reference point on the ground at the coils toe I will keep my eye on it and step to the side 90 degrees and repeat the process.
If the stars align then the exact same point I have been watching on the ground will end up at the coils tip on the second pull back.
"X" marks the spot, commence digging.:detecting:
Cheers,
Drew.

Thanks, Drew! That 90 degree idea sounds pretty good. One question: wouldn't you want to establish the visual reference point at the coil's head rather than the toe, at least if the coil is elliptical in shape? Maybe I'm just confused :)

-Ken

Hi Ken,
Think of the coil as if it is your foot, that was how I was referencing the coil, toe out front at the tip, heel at the rear.
Too many ways to say the same thing.:thumbup:
Cheers,
Drew.

Thanks, Drew. For some reason I was confusing "toe" and "heel"... makes perfect sense now!

-Ken

My experience is only with Gold Gain, but...I always leave iron on, and when I am out in a field, when I hit iron, dragging the coil back off the target while sweeping, and circling the object...i can determine many times how large an item is, and if large, sometimes even the general shape. Have gotten some very cool large items this way. Augers, axeheads, many old tools. Lets me leave nails in the ground yet still find cool iron.