Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vista Smart Plus or Vista X

Frank in NH

I now have a Vista Smart Plus with 3 extra coils. Question what would I gain with buying a Vista X besides discrimination. Thanks

I have yet to dig a nail with my Vista X, and I hunt some old empty lots that are infested with everything from buildings long gone. If it's a solid hit one way and not again at 90 degrees it's usually a nail 99 percent of the time. I'll miss a coin or 2 to avoid digging hundreds of nails.
I will say this, I've dug tons of nails with minelabs multi frequency units at these sites that rang in true at both directions as a solid coin signal. .

Frank in NH said:
I now have a Vista Smart Plus with 3 extra coils. Question what would I gain with buying a Vista X besides discrimination. Thanks
Frank, I only handled a Vista Smart + one time about one year ago, then I checked out two Vista 'X' units in June before buying one a couple of weeks ago. Here are some differences; why I delayed checking DeepTech out more.

Some observed differences based on looks, design, and website specifications:
The Smart + is in a 'funny-shaped' control housing and the 'X' is in a more square, 'normal-looking' housing.

► Both models have twin trigger-toggles under the control housing. With the Smart + the Left trigger is 2-position with a rear-setting for Normal operation and a forward setting to activate a 'Boost' mode. On the 'X', both Left and Right toggles share the same function and are promoted as being for a Left-handed or Right-handed operator. The locked Center position is the motion-based variable Discriminate mode that provides a 2-Tone audio response, and the Rear position locks into a motion-based All Metal accept / Non-Discriminating position with a single tone. The Forward position is a momentary setting that activates the Alternate Disc. function.

► The Smart + has a Pinpoint button located at the lower-center of the control display to provide a Pinpoint capability. The 'X' doesn't have a traditional Threshold-based All Metal mode or momentary Pinpoint function at all. :shrug: I can't figure out why not.

► Both the Smart + and 'X' feature a manual GB control, a Sensitivity or Gain control, a variable Disc. control that functions as a 'Tone Break' setting to establish the break-point for the 2-Tone function, a variable Volume control, and a variable Iron Volume (actually a Low-Tone Volume) control.

► The 'X' features an Alternate Discrimination function that allows the operator to select an optional Disc. setting, with that feature's Disc. setting creating a different 2-Tone break-point.

► The 'standard' Smart + search coil is a round-shaped 11" DD coil, while the 'X' standard coil is an octagonal-shaped DD coil that measures 9X11. Personally, I prefer the looks of the 'X' DD coil as the 9" width diameter 'appears' to be able to work in and around some moderately close targets for separation. It's light-weight for it's size, but most of the time I have the 5.7 (I call it a 5¾") DD mounted.

► The Operating Frequency of the Smart + is 15.5 kHz and the 'X' is 16 kHz.

► Here is where I saw a difference in the DeepTech website model specifications: The Vista Smart showed a High-Tone / Low-Tone audio frequency or pitch of '750' Hz / '390' Hz and that is the same 2-Tone frequencies of the Vista 'X'. However, the Smart P shows the 2-Tone pitch design as being '484' Hz / '242' Hz and, to me, those are too low to be as distinguishable and too low for some3 of us with hearing loss to find pleasant.

Why I delayed a purchase of a DeepTech detector:

Honestly, it was simply because I didn't like the audio tone / pitch/ compared with the other makes and models of detectors I use. That was part of the reason. The other was because even though I liked the operating frequency, I wasn't impressed with the performance I had, or actually didn't have, on several test samples I use when evaluating detectors. The Vista Gold Gain I tried last year sounded better than the Smart +, and it also worked better on some of the test samples, but I attributed that to possibly being the 30 kHz operation is uses. But the two audio tones show as being the same for the original 'Smart' and not the lower pitches shown for the Smart +.

So, as of a year ago, I just didn't have much interest in the DeepTech devices ... until, that is, they started talking about the Vista 'X' and it being designed for the USA / Canada, for whatever reason they felt it needed to be different. And just what was different? To me, manly the appearance of the control housing and I will say I do like that better. I am not a visual display must-have' type of hunter having favored a lot of very proven-performing non-display Tesoro's since July of '83 and keeping two of them in my regularly active detector team. So in about April I decided to give the 'X' a try this year after some discussions with friends who live elsewhere who like the 'X' but are too distant to check one out. Then last month I had a couple of opportunities and was generally impressed in the way of performance afield when putting them up against a coupe of proven performers for heavy iron contaminated Relic Hunting sites. So .... I bought one and I like it.

In your case, if you are comfortable with a Smart + and the audio quality, then having it and three search coils might be ample reason for you to hang onto that unit. You do have the Pinpoint function not found on the 'X' and are only missing the Alt. Disc. option which, really, doesn't mean that much to most people.

Monte

I knew there wold be a comment like this , well with MY "X" most high tones swung both ways and bobbing the coil would be iron, nails, burnt cans and this was with iron disc out, and every setting you could try, you just could not tell any difference. It was plenty deep but digging deep with no reward is not my cup of tea. This was not my first Vista machine I owned a RG1000 and a RG750 The 750 being the better unit. I'm not afraid to say something I paid a lot of money for is a pile, lol! because it was, Good Luck

Frank, after using the Smart and Smart Plus, I can say that the audio on those 2 detectors for me are more definitive of what is in the ground. The Vista X is deeper and I like the full range audio. I have taken the X behind the Smart Plus, Warrior, Gold, and found non-ferrous targets that they missed either because of depth or better seperation. HH Richard

Richard you are a very nice guy, we have used the same machine...I can not let someone spend good money on a machine that is out preformed by a Quest x-10 and a company that has a horrible service record (not the man doing the work) I am being honest per my experience with MY vista-x .I know that a bad review of a machine hurts you, but the truth is the truth ,all that power creates a bunch of crap signals and nobody really enjoys that, so if you have to lower the sensitivity ... then why buy the thing?

Yep you bet, the first thing out of his mouth was send it to Joe, would not replace it, would not refund my money ,bad coil fried the board right out of the box, the western Deep tech dealer is a .... I will never do it again ..crap machines ,crap service( not Joe)He has to deal with it as well. Say what you want. I SAY JUNK
(not Joe)

Richard , as I said You are a very nice guy , straight up honest, Deep Tech could take a lesson from you... Good Luck

Just a thought..I find hundreds of relics and coins with my Golden Mask machines maybe you are dealing with the wrong Bulgarian LOL

Attachments

• chauf.jpg
    chauf.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 313
Well, I'll insert these comments for what they are worth to any reader:

I got started in this great outdoor hobby over 55 years ago and in that span of time I have been a good ol' average Hobbyist and advanced to an Avid Detectorist. I have been a Dealer, both of single brands and multi-line, and I've been a Distributor. Over half a dozen manufacturers have conferred with me and made use of my skills and knowledge in working with prototype models since 1974. I worked for a detector manufacturer as their Dealer Coordinator and Marketing Rep, and all the while I have done my best to be honest and shoot-from-the-hip to tell it straight to any detector owner or those interested in this great sport.

If a particular detector isn't any good, to me, I don't hesitate to say so. If I feel a product is only 'so-so' and generally an inferior investment, I don't hold that back, either. If I feel a product falls short of being worth the investment for the types of hunting needs someone has ... well, that's what I tell them. And if a particular detector works for me, and works well and up to what it's deign provides, then I'll say so. In this case, as I mentioned, I didn't like the audio or the performance of a DeepTech model I checked out a year ago. Their Gold Gain was better, but I wanted something different, so I passed.

If you read any of my posts on different Forums, you'll see that I point out the things I don't care for about the Vista 'X', but you'll also note the things I did like. The overall performance it provided me when I used the 5¾" DD coil which I need in very target-congested sites I hunt, and I checked two Vista 'X' devices before deciding to purchase one.

If someone gets any detector that just isn't quite right when it comes out of the box, they should have it taken care of or replaced by their dealer. I like it when a dealer stands behind their product lines, and if 'goldenmask' didn't get good service, he didn't have a good dealer. I have a good detecting friend who lives a short ways from me in the adjacent state. He bought a Vista 'X' from Richard at Backwoods for an Outing we held a month ago, but he has his other models with visual TID and Tone ID he was used to. I was curious about the Vista 'X' because another friend attended the outing from Colorado with a few of his own detectors, including a Vista 'X' which he demonstrated to a few people the day before the Outing. I liked what it appeared to offer.

When my Idaho friend had a problem or two with his I checked it out. It had two glitches, neither of which would cause it to be a problem after, that is, they were taken care of. That was a minor thing and one was not really an issue with DeepTech. It was a battery holder related design issue and not DeepTech's. The problem? The 'X' wouldn't turn On. Yes, once or twice, but not every time especially after the batteries had been removed. I removed and replaced the batteries from the battery holder over a dozen times to make sure they were all good, all inserted properly and the battery holder inserted correctly. Finally, it was cured and worked fine every time I rocked the 'On'/'Off' switch.

The 2nd 'glitch' was a design error in that the Disc. knob would not stop at the two end-stops but would continue to turn. It wasn't the control pot itself, it was simply the knob. In an e-mail with Richard, who was aware that the purchaser wasn't thrilled with the battery issue and the loose knob on a brand new device, Richard let me know how to fix the knob. Let me tell you, I have done a lot of control knob replacements and tightenings through many decades, and I have never seen this type of a control knob attachment before. I removed the top cap, aligned the control pot shaft, aligned the pointer on the knob and snugged up the screw to tighten the shaft clamp, then replaced the pointer cap and .... everything was fine. Simple. I checked out the 'X' and it worked just fine.

My friend was kind of bummed because he bought it brand new and it had issues, so he contacted Richard and asked for a replacement. Richard did just that ... took care of his customer. He sent him a new Vista 'X' and standard search coil as required. (They have the same model numbers and need to match according to their warranty work.) By this time, my friend had continued to re-think his detector outfit and planned to only have two detectors. I like him, naturally, so I figured I'd help him out as he decided he was going a different direction and put the new Vista 'X' up for sale .... so I bought the Vista 'X' outfit from him. :thumbup:

I put ne batteries in and guess what? It didn't turn On either! No, once again it wasn't a problem with DeepTech, it was the supplied battery holder. I quickly tracked down and isolated the issue and it was the same as the first 'X' he had. There was a film on one of the positive battery contacts that kept the battery from making a good contact. Just as I had with the 'X' my friend had, once I tracked down the same cause, I simply used a fine emery board and gently cleaned off the battery terminal contact and ... TA-DA !! Everything was making contact and working well.

I used an Iron Nail and some other Test Samples, adjusted my new detector for the settings that work for me, and the 'X' is read-to-go. Only a few hunts so far, but it is working just fine and without any poor performance or weak performance or problems on some deeper trash. At least nothing that I don't have happen with many other makes and models in similar encounters.

Monte

Monte , You seem like Richards twin.. a very honest and nice man, however if you read your own post ,you reveal many of the machines problems, the battery holder is crap... the build quality is... If you are in your yard and throw down a coin and a nail the X works great, will not hear the nail and will bang on most any coin at 14" air test ...just add dirt ,that's when the games begin.. good Luck, I have said all I'm gonna say. no need to keep this up.

Mr Golden Mask

You know you are talking crap and nobody cares what you say.

To be honest its really not even really worth replying to you but there you are !!

I dunno what this is all about. I have one of the first Vista X units sold in America. I took a chance mainly I enjoyed hunting with the Tesoro's no screens. Well after many hours on dry beach sand, and hunting sports fields I haven't had not one problem. I found that the discrimanation is great and the depth is too. I switch off with my trusty AT Pro once in a while. But keep hitting the deeper targets with the X. One thing I noticed is the lack of gold. Honestly I think everybody is experancing that. Times have changed and the fresh drops have have suffered a Lot. The old story is holding true for me. Finding many coins and some silver where I thought I about hunted out. And I will admit this, Better hunters out there could go back where I've been and find even more. So I've hunted machines I thought were crap , but I never felt the need to bad mouth any on the forums. In the end, if you don't put the coil over the target, you ain't finding it.

No metal detector is perfect. The thing with various models made in Bulgarian.....Nokta, Vista, ect.... They have always fixed current problems and then later revised designs to improve future machines. Years ago I bought a used machine from Richard with zero problems, very professional with great communication. Ran two different Vista models for many years with no problems.....also Nokta.