Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Visualizing a coil's detection field

Ed in SoDak

Coils will be coils. Three decades of detecting has at least taught me that much! :detecting: I've also noticed that detectable objects might be anything at any depth. Wow, who knew! :surprised:

What we can't "see" is the energy emitted by our detector's coil, any more than we can view the buried target. It seems to me the real problem is getting the two together in a way we can understand.

Any coil of wire with current flowing in it will have a predictable electromagnetic field surrounding it. It's when an object of unknown composition, orientation and depth enters the picture that the detection field changes. I've tried before to somehow make a coil's detection field visible, the last time was a few years ago where I tried LEDs and time exposures. I got some interesting pictures, but not much else.

My latest attempt is much more useful and I think it might shed some light on how coils respond and maybe help explain some of the iffy ID signals that annoy so many of us on almost any hunt.

With cardboard and tape, I made a little table which could be attached to the face of a coil. On this I taped a sheet of paper. A quarter was waved at various points. Wherever I got a good, repeatable signal, I made a mark on the paper. As I traced the edges of the detection field, a typical "bell curve" began to appear on the paper.

On a whim, I repeated the test, but with the quarter held vertical to the coil, as if it had been buried on-edge. This pattern was radically different from the nice and even bell curve the flat quarter produced.

Initially, I'd hoped to use the info to draw some comparisons between coils of different sizes. But I think I stumbled onto something much more interesting.

Note in the pics below how far beyond the edges of the coil that a signal is produced and also the pattern in which ID errors appear. To me, this explains how a "false" can occur at the edge of a coil. A shallow coin off to the side might signal just about the same as one buried near 7 or 8 inches deep.

But the coin-on-edge signals are very educational. On the coil sides, an on-edge coin responds somewhat similarly to the flat coin. But as we approach the center of the coil, things change. Detection depth lessens and ID errors increase as the coin enters the middle coil.

Visualizing this field as a circular pattern, it would most closely resemble a donut. The "hot spots" for an on-edge coin are under the main coil's winding, not the center. This may help explain double signals and why some signals are difficult to pinpoint with a solid ID. When you dig a narrow plug, the signal is sometimes found off to the side of your hole. We usually blame our own ability or that of our machine, when it may just be an electromagnetic effect that would happen to any coil in a similar situation.

I've been experimenting with using very short sweeps to ID targets and also "bobbing" the coil up and down over a target. Both seem to be effective techniques to get a more accurate ID and also to center up better on the target itself. Adding the visual image of what's happening beneath the soil is showing me that I'm on the right track.

Using photoshop to enclose my data points, I made a couple images to show the field of an 8" coil on a Land Star detecting a quarter. Green is with the quarter held flat and pink is with it held on-edge. The yellow and orange areas are where I noted ID errors. Not very scientific, but still very interesting!

It's easy to repeat my tests and it was a fun way to while away a hot and humid evening, indoors in the cool AC. If anyone trys it, be sure to post your results here!
-Ed

Ed,very nice post but would the same results occur using a smaller coil or even a DD coil? I know the smaller coil will get in tighter to an object but correct me if i'm wrong a DD coil sends a more straight down signal opposed to a Bell curve of a concentric.I often get signals just like you said above right at the edge of the coil then move over abit and still get a signal,get's frustrating after awhile and when you think you got it nailed down and dig the object is always on the opposite side where you thought.

I plan to check my other coils and maybe compare a detector or two. This was my first test of the concept and the results were so interesting to me I had to post it right away.
-Ed

Great.I'll be watching for the next one.Rich

I tested 4 coils on my Time Ranger V2 today. The stock 8" and 4" coils it shipped with, a newer 8" from the Land Star, and a 7" open-center from a Pioneer EX. All of them had the same basic patterns seen above, just larger or smaller to match the coil size.

One thing I noted was the maximum "Good ID" depth of the four coils tested measured within an inch of each other. From 4" deep with the 4" coil, up to 5" deep with the TR's stock 8" coil. The quarter could be detected a lot deeper than that, but ID began to shift and become less accurate.

The areas marked in yellow in the top pics, where the target ID shifted, showed up again in the same relative places and a coin on edge still had that "donut-shaped" response. To me this explains some iffy ID signals when a target hits the edge of the field and the double-beeps that certain objects will make.

It takes a lot longer to make the info pretty than it took to do the tests, so I only got the 7" coil illustrated thus far.

-Ed

Here's an approximation of my Goldmaster II with the 6x10" Longscan coil. Keep in mind this is an analog machine designed for small gold.

This is viewed from the front of the coil. Total depth at the center of the coil for the flat coin was about 7", parallel coin was 6", and perpendicular was about 4".

Coil1.png

When you look at the magnetic lines coming from an energized coil, they are in a basic donut shape. When a piece of metal is introduced that lays in line with the magnetic lines (a coin flat on the ground, blue in the image above), it gets a strong signal. When the metal is perpendicular to the lines (a coin on edge, green in the image), it doesn't affect the field as much because the field only has to pass through the thickness of the coin.Granted, more of the field has to pass through it, but it doesn't get as distorted. Imagine the magnetism as light and the coin as a piece of glass. With the light passing through from one edge to the other it would get severely distorted. Passing from one flat to the other, there isn't nearly as much distorting.

When I tested it by moving the coin front to back over the coil I didn't get the donut shape at all. The only difference between flat, parallel and perpendicular was overall depth. I think that has to do with the shape of this coil (oval).

Of course, I might be completely wrong on all of that... :p

Thanks, Dodge!

That's some great info and I like how your graphic represents it. I'm gonna toss out a guess that your machine is a no-motion detector, am I correct? With my Time Ranger in its No-Motion All Metal mode, I found a more even and less "donutty" pattern similar to the one you drew.

I have a couple oval coils on other detectors and plan to compare them across both the long and short sides as you did. I didn't even think to try the coin on edge in two orientations.

Interesting that your coil does not pick up off the shallow sides of the coil as all of mine have.

Thanks for doing the tests and posting up the results! Did ya learn anything from it you can take out to the field?

-Ed

It has a p/p (no motion) and a sat (motion) setting. I tested in both but they were near identical.
After internetting last night, it turns out this is a concentric coil, not a DD like I initially thought....
Definitely learned a lot! I have been going by audio signal alone in the field on many targets and when I sweep too quickly over a non-ferrous target on edge it can sound almost identical to a ferrous reject (chopped) tone. I noticed that the ferrous makes the chopped sound in both directions where the non-f chops in only one. When I slow my sweep, I can hear that the signal on non-ferrous is actually the double-peak tone. I need to slow down! Typical newb mistake, huh?
Good news is I get to find more stuff in my back yard!:biggrin:
Bad news is there's a tornado warning right now!:blink: