Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Visualizing coil detection area

Ed in SoDak

I guess I've been thinking about coils lately!

It came to me that I could use an LED to get a time-exposure image of the shape of a coil's detection field.

My digital camera allows long time-exposures, so I set it for 20 or 30 seconds at f8 (manual focus and exposure) in a darkened room and placed it on a counter aimed at the detector coil. The detector was set for all metal and I tried to scribe the edge of where the LED plus battery was picked up by the detector. That wasn't much metal, so I added a small pocket knife.

These first attempts are pretty crude, as my hand was always bobbing about while I tried to stay on the outside edge of detection, but I think with a little refinement, one could use the technique to help visualize the actual shape of a coil's extended detection field.

What do you all think? It's pretty easy to duplicate, with plenty of room for improvement on my idea. Anybody else wanna post their attempts?

-Ed

That is amazing. I set this up this morning(4:30 am) and started playing around with it. Now, I just found out my USB ports are dead and I can't load the images from my camera. I now have an $1100 DSLR and I can't load the pics on my PC to do anything with them. Talk about irony.

Wierd! On my old camera, the port broke inside the camera, so I had to pull the memory card and use a reader. On the Mac, the keyboard and mouse plug into USB. I don't know how a Windows machine is set up. Maybe try another port? Doe your camera require a driver be installed? Bad cable? Boy, you got me, but good luck.

How did your coil pattern tests turn out?

-Ed

The patern tests came out a little too bright, I am going to try again in a darker room this evening. As far as my USB ports go, they are confirmed dead. Even my Ipod will not load now, on any port. I am asuming my motherboard is to blame and it's time to update to the I7 Pentium chip anyways. I love Macs too, but my need to run Autocad and a few other PC only design programs leaves me stuck with Windows hell forever....

Not that it matters as there's more to it than just the OS, but the newer Macs can run Windoze as well. Mine's a 2001 iMac model, still pluggin' along with that and an older OS.

Maybe on your digital you can just lower the camera's ISO setting or use a smaller f-stop. My tests were made in my old darkroom, so all I had to do was shut the door and douse the lights. I used the LED to find the camera shutter. I need a better way to plot the pattern. Thinking a momentary switch; turn the light on when it gets detected, turn back off, move and repeat to build a pattern of dots instead of a continuous swirl of light. I'm just holding a bare LED onto a "coin" battery, plus palming the pocket knife for added metal, so it's kinda difficult to manipulate well.

Green or white might workbetter than the red LED.

Good luck with your "confuser" problem!
-Ed

You read my mind for using a switched light. I have played with 'light painting' in the dark before and had great results. Here are my idea to make a cool photo:

1: Camera on tripod with long or R/C shutter release

2: Detector held in place with gun vice(or similar)

3. Switched LED on string or wire.

As long as the detecotr/Vise doesn't move, you could even shoot an image of the detector in regualre light and photoshop a really neat image(is it considered HDR?).

Just ideas,
Jimmy