Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vlad..where are you ??? need to ask a question

XLT-user

Will the 6" concentric coil be better in iron...and if so will the 10" concentric designed for the F70 be better in iron??
Not that the DD 11" is an Iron eater..it's not..but some really deep pieces of what looks like iron sometimes gives a coin signal.

n/t

I would like to know the answer also !!!!

Iron falsing will happen no matter what coil you use. Most of the time you will get a high 90s followed by a low grunt. Once you get used to it "took me about 40 hours" you can start to tell. the 10in coil in a trashy area will drive you batty. Nothing beats the DD for trash seperation.

i Have the t-2 and have never dug a piece of iron, not knowing it is iron, may get a high tone but it will give a low grunt, i am fooled by bottle caps though

I'm not Vlad, but it sure seems several people think I am:stars: I hunt iron with either the 6" or the DD coils. The small coil is very good in thick trash cause it simply is seeing alot less targets & soil under the coil at the same time....
HH,
Bill

Some deep iron, usually small, will give a high tone, but will read in the mid to high 90's and as EZ stated, is usually followed by a slight grunt. I have dug 8 big silvers with my F75, 2 silver dollars and 6 halves, and none read higher then 92. Oh, I still dig some 93-95 readings when they sound good, but I have yet to dig a big silver at those readings, or higher. Although I use the small coil a lot for hunting in tight places and for going back over spots after using the bigger coil, the big DD coil is still my coil of choice in trash. The big coil takes a little more patience, but it simply does a better job of separating the good from the bad and of course, has better depth. HH jim tn

We used to see this on the XLT'S all the time. think of the VDI numbers being in a big circle, like a clock. lets say 12 oclock is +95 on the disc scale. (highest reading you can get on the XLT) Ok, superimpose the rest of the available VDI'S around the clock, ending with the lowest number (-95). Guess whats right side by side??? -95 and +95!!!! sometimes you'll get a bit of bleed through in the audio, and it will make Iron sound(And ID) like a positive VDI. One of the very best things you can do to counter this is be EXACTLY over the center of the target when you make your ID sweeps, as iron will almost always sound sweet and ID differently if you sweep BIT OFF CENTER. its hard to get a rock solid ID with the F75 every time though as it is physically impossible to make exactly the same sweep every time, and the F75 dosnt average the signal. You get real time info every swing. (Actually a number of times every swing)
I have a little sequence of things I do over virtually EVERY target I dig, and it gives you pretty much all the info you need to make the decision to dig or not to dig. First thing I do is get off to the side, squeeze the PP trigger and "size" the target. The relative strength of the audio, and the sheer size of the target in PP mode will give you clues as to its nature. (remember as well, that IRON will almost always have a much broader signal in PP than a desireable target will) Then, I find the exact center of the target, and do a brisk ID sweep. This gives me the most accurate VDI. So now I know its probable size.....depth, and best ID.
Now, to answer your question, I dont think a DD has any advantage over a concentric when it comes to IDing iron, and have to give the edge to the concentric in that dept, as the audio with a concentric is always smoother, and the concentric will get more signal in any given sweep than a DD, everything else being equal, giving the machine a bit more info to make its ID with. Since the F75 is SOOOOOO fast though, I dont think this effect is as pronounced with the 75 as it may be with a lot of other machines........ Streak!

Lots of good info guys. Thanks. I have noticed the 94/95 readings and the grunt at the end of the swing and put two and two together. I have read that circular explanation before and it makes sense as all detectors I have used have given high VDI and it turned out to be iron. Just another small bullet in the arsenal of metal detectorist. TMAN...

Rumor has it that Vlad got banned :thumbdown: Can't understand why, I find his posts interesting and haven't seen any post that's ban material :shrug:

FREE VLAD :starwars:

BRING VLAD BACK :stretcher:

Most detectors "see" uniform pieces of iron as a coin. At depth, these pieces (excluding nails, wire, etc.) do not have to maintain their uniformity for the detector to call them a good target...
Why ? Once a target saturates with an incoming signal, the eddy current "bounces" back to the receive windings. There are a number of factors here that have to be right in order for the machine to react correctly... Depth of target, khz freq, ferrous or non-ferrous,size of target, uniformity of target, signal strength, etc. Anyway, at some point involving these factors and others, the machine losses the ability to ID correctly... For me as a relic hunter, I like this inability of detectors to ID iron, at depth, incorrectly because I can dig cannonballs, fragments, etc. Even some of the machines that have "Iron Mask" really "see" and null them out....Even then, I have dug deep iron with these machines that gave me a good signal....
A good way to limit some of the digging once you have found a target that is questionable, turn 90 degrees...if the ID/audio remain solid and don't jump around.... Dig !!! Best to all, Richard

No flames please , just MHO :wiggle:

A tightly wound concentric with windings as fully resonance matched as possible should give
you the best discrimination YOUR detector is capable of.

All I would throw in is wrap-a-round-effect, and the detector
not getting enough return signal to properly process the target identification. [You ever
notice that very old rusty nails almost vertical are the worst problem-even 6 or 7 inches
they will read coin, but will pinpoint in a different spot than the motion target spot?]