Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

VMI Cadet Button dug in SC

Congrats on a great find!

Yall' did well at the plantation site. Great find on the VMI Cadet button. What a beaut and a great Historical CW Save. This rare piece of History will show well in your display. Congratulations and Well Done.

So far I've found 2 VMI's in the same field on my farm, 50 mi. s. of Augusta, Ga. Would really be interesting to know they got here. Tales they could tell !

The Cadet corps numbered 274 men at New Market in 1864. The first VMI class in 1839 had 16 Cadets. So if you figured the average class over those 26 years had 200 cadets (a high estimate) then by 1865 there may have only been 5200 alumni. A VMI button from the Civil War would be extremely rare, assuming Alumni where wearing their VMI uniforms in the Confederate Army. Also, that is assuming that earlier VMI Coatee's had VMI buttons and not Ball buttons like West Point. Anyway, my point is a VMI button from the Civil War is rare! Unfortunately, the D E Evans backmark does not isolate it to Civil War era only.

Congrats on your find!

brianc577 said:
The Cadet corps numbered 274 men at New Market in 1864. The first VMI class in 1839 had 16 Cadets. So if you figured the average class over those 26 years had 200 cadets (a high estimate) then by 1865 there may have only been 5200 alumni. A VMI button from the Civil War would be extremely rare, assuming Alumni where wearing their VMI uniforms in the Confederate Army. Also, that is assuming that earlier VMI Coatee's had VMI buttons and not Ball buttons like West Point. Anyway, my point is a VMI button from the Civil War is rare! Unfortunately, the D E Evans backmark does not isolate it to Civil War era only.

Congrats on your find!

Thanks ! Really perplexed by it but the thing is for the area I live in ,5 were found at the plantation next to where I was hunting and 2 we're found in the downtown area in Georgetown, SC. The plantation I was hunting has produced Spanish silver, a pre civil war SC button,at least 60 flat buttons , and this button. VMI Cadets were here, when and why is unknown

woody said:
So far I've found 2 VMI's in the same field on my farm, 50 mi. s. of Augusta, Ga. Would really be interesting to know they got here. Tales they could tell !

Wow! That's amazing. At least 8 have been found in my area but this is a Rice Plantation area so could be sons of these wealthy planters ? Not sure why these are here but asking around to see if I can get some sort of answer

Confetrit said:
Yall' did well at the plantation site. Great find on the VMI Cadet button. What a beaut and a great Historical CW Save. This rare piece of History will show well in your display. Congratulations and Well Done.

Thank you clearly a shocker for sure. We have hunted that place at least 8 times. Wish we could hunt the main gtounds of plantation no telling what's there

everything you can imagine runs through their pages--and they have a price guide.
Don't know if Steve Silvia is still running things, but someone there can help you out.
(Have you looked in Alberts Button Book-its the "Bible.")

Awesome find. We've come across a few of those down this way before. Congrats. CCH

AS I WRITE THIS I AM at Vmi's 2019 graduation. The current VMI coatee has 46 buttons, which could wxplain the number reported found.

Very nice. I dug one by Gettysburg.