Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Volume setting and modulated audio on the 705

Jackpine Savage

First have to discuss the threshold setting.

In the past I had been setting the threshold at 7 to get the faint hum in my headphones. It took a while (thick noggin) to realize that a setting closer to 0 should be better, right? DUH!

So what was I doing wrong? As it turns out, I had the volume settings between the detector and headphones all wrong. With the detector volume set in the mid to upper 20's and adjusting the audio level to a comforatble level with the headphones I needed the threshold set at that setting of 7. Gotta be a better way so I reversed to setting the phones at max and adjusting the audio level with the detector. Now I can get the same slight hum level with the threshold set at 1 so more better right? Well not exactly depending on how you like your audio to be modulated on deeper targets.. In air tests with the new settings I get full audio to within an inch or so of max air test depth, compared to the original settings where the audio tapered of sooner by about an inch or more. Overall air test depth was the same regardless so we have a bit of a choice in choosing the type of audio modulation we prefer.

A couple quick notes:
With the original setup of threshold at 7, reducing the threshold to a setting of zero resulted in air test depths dropping off by 1 to 2". So at 7 is 6 then equal to 0 and I was pushing the threshold way negative by setting it to 0? I think so.

With my White's Prostar headphones setting the detector volume to around 6 gave a comfortable audio level. Switching to the Koss QZ-99's I had to increase the detector setting to 12-13 to get the same volume which is probably due to the difference in sensitivity between the two sets.

For people that choose to hunt without headphones I can see why the threshold level changes to follow the volume setting. Giving the operator a better chance on small gold regardless of the volume level necessary to over come the ambient noise level.

Tom

Thanks for the explanations Tom. I've always been told or read online that the detector volume had to be maxed out all the time but often with no explanation. So your way is opposite if I understand correctly. Headphone volume maxed out, detector volume to taste. Threshold near 0 to slight positive.

Mine was set with your original settings or just about. Threshold around 5-7 for slight hum, volume on detector at max or just about. Volume on headphones to taste.

Mike

On some detectors the volume control may also affect the gain level, in effect making weak signals stronger. For those max volume is best. A Fisher Tech once told me the volume control on the 1270 is akin to a noise blanker. I know from experience with the 1270 that lowering the volume will quiet the machine when encountering noise due to EMI.

Dave J "sensitivity and depth"

Tom

Understood. I made a note to try it out next time out.