Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

vortex mat

yankee joe

Vortex mat is nothing new. It is nothing more than non skid type belting developed for industrial conveyor use. I never heard of it un till the early 90's when I picked up a piece of cut off (scrap) from where I worked and tried it in my 2 inch. It worked better than any thing I had ever seen or heard of. A year or so later I introduced it with pictures on Tom Ashworth's prospectors catch. ( now Mike Higbee's ). Check into Tom Ashworth archives and dig up all of the posts by Yankee Joe. It will be there. I an tired of every one getting rich on this stuff. Something I gave for free. I see Hog is even selling it now. There is lots of it out there. Check with any company that uses line production. Ask for there (conveyor belts throwaways.) You and all your prospecting Buddy's will be glad you did. If you are in need of cheap miners moss/gold catcher. Try (red Scotts Bright pads) with edges glued to gather with 100% silicone. Pads can be picked up at any Automotive paint supplier by the box. Use over ribbed rubber floor mat. Lay the pads flat on apiece of newspaper with a bead silicone on the edges allow to cure for 24 hours then trim to size then soak in water to wash away the news paper. It catches the finest gold and cleans easily and they last. There are many things you can use for gold recovery with out spending lot of money. Make your own classifiers from 5 gallon throw away buckets and hardware cloth 1/8,1/4 and 1/2 inch or visit the house wares dept. at Wal Mart. The list can go on. Good luck

Funny you should mention the Scotchbrite pads.
I've used them in rain gutter concentrators. I've been having a tough time finding some cheap matting for a diy "cube" and a sampling rocker. I was looking at using the Scotchbrite pads until I find some good mats.

If you want to be pedantic, use of matting in a sluice had been around for thousands of years and was probably the first method of gold recovery. The style of matting has changed over the years, but we still use it.

Just because conveyor belting has been used for many years, it's use in gold recovery is fairly recent and still not used by many.