Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

VX3 Newbie

Scottowl

It looks like I might be getting a VX3 in the near future. My experience has been with an MXT. I have made many good finds, and dug much trash with that machine. I consider myself proficient with the MXT.

I have seen the advice of many here to get the upper model detector, but its not in the cards for me. I was just wondering what to expect out of this beast, and how long until I get good at it.

What are some things it can do that the MXT cannot? Is there anything the MXT does better than the VX3?

I see it does not come with a rechargable pack, and batteries last 8 (!) hours? Can a rechargable pack be used with this, if bought seperately?

Where do I find hints on tinkering with a custom program, such as learning WTH I am doing before I change anything?!

I should mention my main interests are coin and jewelry in parks and schools. Trashy parks and schools! As well as older homes, with their mixed in iron challenges.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have! Thanks!!

Scottowl said:
It looks like I might be getting a VX3 in the near future. My experience has been with an MXT. I have made many good finds, and dug much trash with that machine. I consider myself proficient with the MXT.

I have seen the advice of many here to get the upper model detector, but its not in the cards for me. I was just wondering what to expect out of this beast, and how long until I get good at it.

What are some things it can do that the MXT cannot? Is there anything the MXT does better than the VX3?

I see it does not come with a rechargable pack, and batteries last 8 (!) hours? Can a rechargable pack be used with this, if bought seperately?

Where do I find hints on tinkering with a custom program, such as learning WTH I am doing before I change anything?!

I should mention my main interests are coin and jewelry in parks and schools. Trashy parks and schools! As well as older homes, with their mixed in iron challenges.

Can a rechargable pack be used with this, if bought seperately?

Yes you can get a AW-2200 Li-ion Battery Pack $129.00 that will last about 3 Times longer than the Whites Standard Rechargeable Batt Pack at $134.00..

rmb

I have using the AW-2200 for about six months and I love it.

I got a RB AW 2200 pack and will be making a post tonight. I just home two hours ago.

I was really wondering what to expect on how this machine handles compared to an MXT?

Scottowl said:
It is a good machine. If you are proficient why get a new machine?

The VX3 is an upper model detector. How long until you get good at it depends on you. No one can answer this.

Just ask what you need a detector to do? We will tell you if the VX3 can do it.

I see it does not come with a rechargable pack, and batteries last 8 (!) hours? Can a rechargable pack be used with this, if bought seperately? YES

Where do I find hints on tinkering with a custom program, such as learning WTH I am doing before I change anything?! First get the the detector and then read the manual.

I should mention my main interests are coin and jewelry in parks and schools. Trashy parks and schools! As well as older homes, with their mixed in iron challenges. These are the challenge when hunting coins.

My thoughts are to buy a used V3i if you cannot afford a new one. They are out there and some with warranty. If you can't handle the Spectra you won't lose as much when you sell.

Since your primary goal is Parks and Schools, I would follow Rob's advice and get a used V3i, also hoping a good used deal would include the 4x6 sniper coil and perhaps the 6x9 elliptical. Typically even the used ones come with the cordless headphones which are very nice with the freedom of not being tethered to the detector. If you are absolutely set on the new V3X, at least get the small 4x6 coil with it and the 10" D2.

As far as your familiarity with the MXT, you have a good working knowledge of listening to coin/jewelry sounds and VDI's. The all digital control features of the V3X or the V3i will be a little different. Don't get caught up with making a bunch of adjustments right away.
Use the stock Coin/Jewelry program to gain familiarity with the detector operation and audio target sounds, then start using the menu structure to fine tune that one program. I would suggest only changing one function at a time to see what it does for you in a "test garden". The small 4x6 Shooter coil works extremely well to separate trash from target, but don't forget that can slaw, etc.., are also in the jewelry find VDI areas. Also remember the MXT is a single frequency machine, the V3X and V3i use three separate frequencies, transmitted at the same time. When pinpointing you then use all 3 to help determine target I.D. by what Freq. hits hardest. Also note this is not the only means to determine target(VDI, audio response, target size, etc.., all come into play) and also can lead you to believe it is a bad target. You have to have the experience to make your own conclusions of good and bad targets, many times you just let your digger be the decision maker.

The used V3i approach would get you many more features to learn to adjust AFTER you have mastered the basic stock programs.These added controls let you tailor the detector to the field conditions in many types of soils and/or trash conditions.

Hope this helps.

Scottowl said:
I was really wondering what to expect on how this machine handles compared to an MXT?
This could take a book. Ask specific questions. Is the detector as chatty? Can you distinguish a crowned cap?
I had an MXT for 4 years and it is a super machine. I just prefer the Spectras for myself.