Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Wading boots or Water Shoes for Beach hunting

David Smith

Hello all,
I've been throwing around the idea of more Atlantic Ocean beach detecting. I am looking for ideas, suggestions or experience from others who are into the same thing.
I am a heavy guy so wearing shoes, boots, etc is a must. My feet and ankles can only handle about an hour barefoot in the sand on the beach. I have no issues hunting the dry stuff My New balance walking boots work just fine for that. But I want to get in the water, and hunt the surf line this summer. I also have some places in the bay I wouldn't mind collecting the heaps of lead sinkers. I don't mind spending the $$ to be comfortable. plantar fasciitis is really annoying so i'll do what I can to avoid it.
I've been tossing the idea around since last summer to purchase a pair of Wading boots, Korkers etc.. I assume I would have to wear a neoprene sock/bootie since I wont be wearing the Waders. Are these boots designed for walking 2-4 miles a day on a beach?

I've tried these on they're not super heavy and seem well made.
https://www.amazon.com/Korkers-Greenback-Wading-Kling-Studded/dp/B013T3NAVK/ref=sr_1_31?keywords=korkers&qid=1560212685&s=gateway&sr=8-31

I've also read over millions of reviews for these options. Most aren't recommended for the beach :( I guess sand becomes an issue. I'm not looking to rub my ankles raw or anything.

Some well reviewed generic shoes
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074MNMT7B/ref=crt_ewc_title_olp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AMTN8R88QZI17

Merrells
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010OUITIA/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1BNXE6U3W2NOH
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RAPHCUY/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2NEM58BFPMEIL

Keen Newports
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EREX8O/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I have a friend that uses a rubber SEAC sole neoprene boot These are my second choice over the wading shoes the specifically state excellent arch support.
https://www.amazon.com/SEAC-Neoprene-Wetsuit-Zipper-X-Large/dp/B004SHARUY/ref=sr_1_12?keywords=neoprene+boots&qid=1560213065&s=gateway&sr=8-12

Anybody share what they use? I wish I could still use the $9 water shoes from Walmart but those without a doubt aren't an option!

Downside to any boot/shoe is that sand accumulates in them.
I wear a heavy sandals that completely encloses the toe. Protection from that big scoop, ya know. All I have to do to purge the sand is tip my sandal vertical in the water and shake a bit.

That said, if you need the ankle support, boots it is. Try to devise something that keeps the sand out (as much as is possible) without restricting the circulation in your feet.

fwiw, I am leery of anything with holes in the bottom for drainage. I've dug up WAY too many fish hooks and bottle caps with glass still attached to ever go even semi-barefoot at the beach.

I wear the Korkers Darkhorse with the BOA M2 lace system. The BOA system is great in the winter when my hands get too cold to work the fabric laces. I do wear waders, but neoprene socks would work fine also.
I wear neoprene socks with The Fin boots by SoftScience in the summertime. The Fins are very light and comfortable but do not give as much support as the Korkers as they are make of flexible fabric, but they are tighter around the ankles than the Korkers. Their zipper is easier to work than either the M2 or laces.
I have no problem wearing either of the boots for 4 hours while detecting salt or fresh water. Sand has not been a problem, it washes in and out through the drain system in both the Korker and SoftScience boots and my feet are protected by a layer of neoprene.

If you are near a Dive shop go try on some scuba/dive boots. I wear a heavy soled boot. They are snug enough that I get almost no sand in them when wading.

I use hard soled fishing hightop shoes. The area I hunt is crushed shell and when it gets inside the shoes it is painful I made a set of gaiters out of an old wetsuit that is tight on my calves and slides over the tops of the shoes and keeps out all the shell. Cabelas sells wading socks with built in gaiters....ordering me some.

Kieth-Tx said:
I use hard soled fishing hightop shoes. The area I hunt is crushed shell and when it gets inside the shoes it is painful I made a set of gaiters out of an old wetsuit that is tight on my calves and slides over the tops of the shoes and keeps out all the shell. Cabelas sells wading socks with built in gaiters....ordering me some.

Good idea. Gaiters should work well.

Thanks for the ideas fellas. I'm going to look for a local place that sells the korkers and look them over. I bought a pair of Neoprene waders years ago with built in boots. They were the warmest ones redhead made at the time. I wore them once. I didn't realize how the boots worked on those that are attached. I ordered a pair to fit my 19- 19.5" dress shirt size. The boots are probably size 13 or larger. I wear a 10/ 10.5. I wore them once surfiiishing at the beach clunking around in those moon shoes. I had blisters it was horrible I never wore them again. I said from that day forward I would buy the external shoes with the stocking foot wader to try and get a better fit. I think waders have come along way in the last 10 years. I wouldn't be opposed to staying dry poking around in the water at the beach. I just need to take a trip to the big city and see what these places have to offer.

I wear wet shoes from walmart . Yes sand can get in but they protect your feet and are breathable. Scuba boots are ok for underwater but you would sweat too much walking around the beach waring them.