Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Waiting for Cazador

AustinEd

I have not owned a Tesoro for a while, but I am going to buy a Cazador when they do come out. I have loved the Tesoros I have used and it is time to return. The wait for the Caz looks like it will be worth it.

Everyone waits with anticipation for that perfect detector. The detector that can distinguish gold from can slaw!!!! I have a feeling that we will all probably die before such technology comes about.

Bulletman

The more I think about it, all I really want is a Vaquero with a adjustable tone break. That technology has already been done by Tesoro back when they manufactured the Pantera and Golden Sabre. You could use the adjustable audio break to hunt in a bed of nails by setting it just above a nail or it could be used for cherry picking by setting the audio to break on or just above a zinc penny. I'd be in hog heaven if I could have a Vaquero like that.

tabman

hit the Classifieds and look for a versatile proven Tesoro models that will fit your needs. No time to waste and I wouldn't put any hope in a Cazador until you see a finished production model with that factory decal on it, AND it has been used by several knowledgeable people and proven to be something worth investigating.

There have been some good Tesoro models and there are a couple still in production that ought to suit your needs, if you're bound and determined to own and use a Tesoro. That isn't to say it would be a bad thing to own a competitors model as well so that they might 'complement' each other, as that depends up you and your choice of sites and targets you're after. Even when I was a Tesoro Dealer from mid-'83 through to Nov. '04 there were times I still owned one or more competitors model detector. There's no such thing as a 'perfect' detector so I like to keep two or three, or maybe four or five detectors on hand as long as they can complement each other and meet the needs I have for challenging sites.

My signature below shows my main-use detector battery, and I have a versatile Tesoro in it for those times when I feel in gives me an 'edge,' such as working in iron nail infested sites.

As for Tesoro, I like the basic plan Jack Gifford had for the company, and I have enjoyed quite a few of the models they have offered, preferring more former models to those offered today or in more recent years. I especially appreciated the improvement Jack made when he brought us the Bandido with the enhanced ED-120 Discrimination range, then incorporated that into following detector models. Tesoro produced quality-built detectors that have been pretty durable. Tesoro has made many models that seemed to be a good 'fit' in the general detector product line-up for different hunting applications.

Along the way there have been several models that have circuitry design glitches, some corrected and some not. Today there is more competition in the slow-motion/quick-response offerings from every manufacturer compared with about thirty years ago when Tesoro was giving us the best and almost only models with such in-the-field talents. That means there are some current Tesoro models offered and a lot more very versatile former Tesoro models offered that you can pick from.

If you want to "loved the Tesoro's you had," then I think it's time to return to the Tesoro fold and simply shop for a clean specimen of one of the detectors you liked in the past. Odds are, it will work just as well today, and in many applications surpass a lot of the newer competitors on the market. Just be aware that many long-time favorites are in the hands of folks who also love them and they don't want to let them go! I have spent over a year or two listing many ads in search of a few older discontinued Tesoro's, like the Diablo µMAX and Silver Sabre µMAX without any success. I do keep trying, because there were a lot of the Silver Sabre µMAX units sold ... so where are they?

Monte

Monte,White's detectors aren't all that bad, but I'd rather swing a Tesoro. They just seem to work better for me and are a lot easier to swing:)

I don't have to wait for the Cazador to have a good detector to swing. The Tesoros that I have now work better than the competitors detectors that I have used.

I'm beginning to worry about White's.

tabman

There are four main US Metal Detector companies.

Tesoro was founded by Jack Gifford and has done little new since he retired - they show every indication of having capital and technical constraints

Whites is still (I think) run by its founder - they seem healthy enough, but their technology seems to be stagnating and there has been a lot of turnover of the technical staff, including the chief engineer.

Charles Garrett still calls the shots at Garrett - Brent Weaver is clearly a clever designer, but you habe to wonder why the infinium was never improved and why the ATX is stuck in it's suit of armor.

First Texas is owned by a group of investors who are actively growing the business and expanding into other areas like night vision equipment. They have a large and relatively young engineering staff, including Dave Johnason and now Carl Moreland, formerly of Whites.

You may draw whatever conclusions you wish - if any - from these observations.

lytle78 said:
First Texas is owned by a group of investors who are actively growing the business and expanding into other areas like night vision equipment. They have a large and relatively young engineering staff, including Dave Johnason and now Carl Moreland, formerly of Whites.

I'm flattered to be considered young, as I'm sure Dave is, too.

VLF technology by all the manufactures in one way or another is re done older technology, pick your medicine or the detector that suits you. Out of the four detector company's mentioned 1st Texas is offering a lot of models that are pretty much the same four or five main models they produce played up or down a little with different screens and color schemes. Be it Fisher, Bounty Hunter, Technetics and so on. Tesoro is what they have been for several years pretty much flat over all not changing much. Whites has changed there lower lines a little dropped the XLT & DFX on the top end and replaced with there V3i models with there cool high resolution screens (for those that like all that information). They added some features to the MXT line, some tones and bigger coils, ground grab ( all these Whites units are fantastic detectors but they cost a little more and also have great build quality's and solid function). Whites last release the MX-5 basically a digital mid priced detector based on some MXT technology in a lighter plastic body nothing to new or really different in the big picture. Garrett has been surviving on the Ace line of detectors and the popularity of the AT Pro & Gold detectors again all these detectors by all the company's are basically re -worked existing technology. But Garrett was smart With the AT Pro & Gold detectors putting a lot of functional features into a mid priced lighter detector that works pretty darn good over all and they made it water proof and folks just ran with it ( This marketing again was super smart on there part )

Out of the four company's mentioned I think White's Garrett & 1st Texas and all there name brands associated with them are over all solid and riding the market for what it will bear. I love Tesoro detectors but new people coming into the hobbie and many in the hobbie want detectors like the Ace, AT Pro & Gold and all the Fishers, Technetics, Whites units and others with screens in the low price range. Many like the higher end Fisher F75, F70 units the Whites high end detectors V3i and the M6 & MXT units with nice VDI screens and that's just a fact and these company's know it.

My worry is if Tesoro don't figure it out they will not be able to compete with just great beep and dig detectors in today's market no matter how good they are. Again this is not because they don't make a good detector it will be because they have not kept up with the industry changes like the other company's. Again this is a plain fact, so is Tesoro in trouble like some say? well your guess is as good as mine.

Tabman I respectfully disagree and say I would think at this point in the game Tesoro has a little more to worry about in the big picture than Whites and the other company's mentioned here. We can love and support Tesoro as I do but we can not be blind to the truth and the facts of things concerning the detector industry and where it's at.

Happy Hunting To All,
Bill G

Unless you're privy to the books, you don't know which company is stable or which one is about to go out of business. I've seen some very large home building companies that were spending lots of money on advertising and selling houses left and right. They looked GREAT and seemed to be very prosperous! The next thing you know, they were bankrupt, because they weren't making a profit. They were just digging a deep hole. Appearances can be deceiving.

tabman

tabman said:
Unless you're privy to the books, you don't know which company is stable or which one is about to go out of business. I've seen some very large home building companies that were spending lots of money on advertising and selling houses left and right. They looked GREAT and seemed to be very prosperous! The next thing you know, they were bankrupt, because they weren't making a profit. They were just digging a deep hole. Appearances can be deceiving.

tabman

Nor do you or any one else. All of these post are perceived opinions including yours about these company's. Remember you said you were worried about Whites above, are you privy to there books??

Happy Hunting, :detecting:
Bill G

Bill G said:
tabman said:

tabman

Nor do you or any one else. All of these post are perceived opinions including yours about these company's. Remember you said you were worried about Whites above, have you seen there books??

Bill G

I was making a point when I said that about White's to show how hilarious all these opinions are. Just saying something doesn't make it so.

tabman

tabman said:
Bill G said:
tabman said:

tabman

Nor do you or any one else. All of these post are perceived opinions including yours about these company's. Remember you said you were worried about Whites above, have you seen there books??

Bill G

I was making a point when I said that about White's to show how hilarious all these opinions are. Just saying something doesn't make it so.

tabman

Same thing I was doing, making a point. Point taken...:)

Bill G :cheers:

How do you like the gang at the new place?

n/t