Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Walking Liberty Half

dmckee17

Today I finally found my second silver half, and it took almost three years since my first (a 1934) about a hundred feet from where I found this one today. When I found the first half, an old widow (very nice lady) who lived in the last remaining house on the block at the time had been watching me detect came outside and curiously asked what I was doing. I told her and showed the 1934 Half Dollar along with some wheaties, she examined the silver and remarked "I haven't seen one of these in a long time". We talked and she reminisced about her old neighborhood, all the kids who grew up there, etc.

Well fast forward to today, She's gone, house is gone, block is vacant and quiet, and I make one pass across what was her front yard, out pops the 41' Walker and I thought back to the 34' Walker she saw me dig in the vacant lot next to hers back in the summer of 2012. Sometimes neat little stories happen, and that was mine. true story. (I did clean it with a little toothpaste, it was nasty and not valuable).

Great Score!...I about due to find a Half. I havent found one since around the late 1988 or 89 using my Old Mark-1

All i can say is WOW what a sweet silver find :thumbup:

Nice find and story to go with it, life is making memories for sure.Big silver is always a thrill to find...

n/t

n/t

The value of that coin is in the story it holds .. :beers:

Great find !

Harold ILL: I was expecting junk so I took just one deep shovel stab and flipped it out but it seems like it was 4" - 5" in the soil with maybe 2" of centipede grass on top. I haven't been back yet but I'll probably have to cut the grass to get any sorta depth, as it is an abandoned area and only occasionally bushhogged. The grass is growing down here...

Metalfun: I've only dug 4 halves ever, 2 clad kennedys and 2 Walkers, so you are due.

Terrific story and great find!

You were expecting some junk? DOes that mean your machine didn't give a high tone?
I heard that minelabs don't give high tone on halves.

i haven't found any with the explorer but the 2 i found with the sovereign gave a high tone but it was trashy sounding not solid.

Tony, It gave a good high tone but I wasn't expecting a coin, I have dug a fair amount of high tone trash from here.

Hi DMCKee17, I get it I think, you heard the good tone but the display or numbers weren't correct, right?
Do you remember where it hit on the display?
I have been digging by display if it hits upper right but lower between half way up the side - but still not at the top.
I have found coins in this area, and a few junk items but finding the coins made it pay off. Ratio is higher then digging foil for gold items.

Nice silver and great story.