Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

wallaby and vom meter

shep

Went out yesterday with Grubstake. Got lucky, found a couple of little ones. Bout half way thru the day, the GP3K went bonkers.High Low pitches with any movement. Tried in different setting, changed batteries, tried everything. It did this at Rich Hill last time there and it cleared up. I checked under the skid plate and thought that was it. This morning. I turned it on, same high/low. Put the stock coil on, quieted right down. Pulled skid plate off, nothing under it. I ohmed all the plugs and made a pretty diagram of plug end in Paint (but can't get it to paste). Anyway w/ notch at top, reading clockwise 1-5, I am getting the following:

1-2= 7.1 ohms
1-3= .6 ohms
1-4= .6 ohms
1-5= .2 ohms
2-3= 7.7 ohms
2-4= 7.5 ohms
2-5= 7.0 ohms
3-4= 0.0 ohms
3-5= .7 ohms
4-5= .7 ohms

Anyone out there have a wallaby, that I could compare these with, before I toss it out? Appreciate any help

Ohms mean nothing in testing the Wallaby, you have to test Mirohenrys. I think that is the way it is spelled.

Common problems that can cause this are. 1. Bad or worn connections inside the plug. Needs to be cut and new connector needs to be soldered. 2. Dirt inside the pins of the connector. Take a toothpick with WD40 on it and work it around inside the plug female pins, follow with alcohol. Believe it or not, the slightest bit of dirt can cause this problem. 3. Lost vacuum inside of coil. When these coils are built all the air is sucked out and we put silicone around the connector where the the coil cable enters the coil, and the we screw the strain relief on, this makes the coils semi-waterproof. With use during hot summers and the extremes of use with expose these coils to, the silicone breaks down and allows air to seep into the coil. This allows the shielding to move around and can cause falsing. If you notice when you press the coil to the ground that it falses, this is the most likely cause, because you are forcing air out of the coil by compressing it.

The simple fix for this is to carefully remove the strain relief from the coil. Make sure you hold on to the bottom of the strain relief while you unscrew the top. If you don't hold on to the bottom of the strain relief, you will twist the wires inside the coil and tear the wires loose.

Once you have pot the strain relief unscrewed, clean out the old silicone using a toothpick. Get some new silicone. Have someone push on the coil with both hands to expel all of the air, or take heavy books and place it around the coil. Fill the connector with new silicone and replace the strain relief and allow the silicone to dry completely. In 90% of the cases this solves the falsing problem because it stops the movement of air in and out of the coils as it touches things.

Hope some of this helps.

If the coil is still under warranty send it back and we will take care of it for you.

Take care,

DOC

Okay,Doc, you might be on to something. The coil could be just moved in the air and it would be noisy, but did notice it was "swollen"??, air inside?? I'll try your suggestion. Thanks! This isn't still in warranty, it was one of your first 5 test cases. Don't you remember:huh:

Shep, I seriously have memory problems. I don't think it is early onset alzheimers or anything serious. I just think it is stress. I have so many irons in the fire, I don't know what end is up. Hopefully having Gus on board now, will lighten the load a little.

I am fighting the high blood pressure and the medicine doesn't agree with me. I spend half the day nearly passing out when I stand up too quick. We are cleaning up things and throwing out old tax records etc. Gus took two pickup truck loads to the dump. I was worried my shoulder would act up. Well it worked fine, but my back is killing me now.

I answer on the average 50 emails a day. 20 phone calls. Don't get home until 6:30 every night. Don't get me wrong, I am having a blast however, I am really looking forward to vacation this year.

Take care!

DOC

Whoa!!! Slow down, I wasn't complain'n. I know you have more irons in the fire than Carter has pills. I think you need to get out in the field more, that's what I think :beers:

I knew you weren't complaining. I was! Did it sound like I was complaining? I was just responding to you asking me if I didn't remember that the Wallaby was one of the test coils. I do good to remember the security code to the alarm at the office !

I did finally get out! I went to the Gold Basin Outing! It was great to get out again, considering I have not been out since October. Of course like an idiot I had to detect like a mad man. So know my rhoids are hanging down to my knees. More information than you wanted I bet !

I actually think all the lifting at the building was the culprit, and out riding around on the quad and walking and swinging and digging, and squatting down was the straw that broke the camels back. Or my butt as it were.

I found 1 meteorite, which are getting to be about as scarce as gold down at Gold Basin.

But all in all I had a great time and have to thank Roger D. for his hospitality in letting me stay in his new trailer. It is really sweet.

They had a great outing at GB, the weather was wonderful and I think everyone really enjoyed themselves.

Take care Shep!

DOC