Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

War nickels...I can't figure em out

Beyonder

I tested some war nickels on the V3i:

First one hit in the 40's

Second one hit in the high 20's

Third one hit a solid 19.

I took all the nickels, threw them in the box, put the V3i away and gave up LOL

Bey
tw-1 min

Now that you mention it I remember finding several war nickels at one spot a few years back and the VDI's weren't consistent at all. I just figured it was adjacent trash skewing the #'s. I wonder if they alloyed them with a wide range of materials ?

35% silver, 56% copper, 9% manganese.

Last couple I found were 20 and 21. Unfortunately they will not read the same on top of the ground for some reason.

I have found war nickels with V3i that reported over a seemingly wide range of VDI. I also found one with that other brand detector that hit as small silver 12-40.
I don't think the mix is uniform on them based on my experiences.

Howdy Beyonder---

I remember digging 2 silver Jefferson's in the same hole with a +38 reading. I also recall digging silver Jefferson's with VDI's of --6 to +12 in the same hole with rusty bottle caps and/or rusty nails. When hunting an area where coins HAVE been dug, I rely primarily on the audio signal. It works for me. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Nickels in general can be a pain for me. I have gotten them at vdi 6 up to 40+ and everywhere in between. Good luck

Blind Squirrel said:
Howdy Beyonder---

I remember digging 2 silver Jefferson's in the same hole with a +38 reading. I also recall digging silver Jefferson's with VDI's of --6 to +12 in the same hole with rusty bottle caps and/or rusty nails. When hunting an area where coins HAVE been dug, I rely primarily on the audio signal. It works for me. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Two Nickels in the same Hole would increase the Mass causing a higher VDI. Like my Nickle in the Hole with the Silver Dime. The Nickle pulled the VDI of the Dime down to about 52. I really prize the Buffaloes more than the Silver Dimes. The Buffaloes are harder to find. It has been so dry here the ground is like concrete. I can't wait to get back hunting.

I thought it was just me getting nickel readings all over the place. The few War nickles that i have found have been 35 to 45 vdi range.

Hey Daddyflea--

I hope that you get some rain to soften up that hard dirt. I agree with you those Buffalo nickles are few and far between and a real joy to dig - especially if they have a date!

With respect to Beyonder's questions about the vdi's of silver Jefferson's and this is just a guess on my part. Because of its composition and differing ground mineralization, the halo effect could be responsible for variations in vdi readings, Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Here's a clip of a recently dug war nickel I dug. It was silver, but there are some early war nickels that are not silver that may give you a VDI 19 signal. Just like a regular nickel signal on a white's machine. I believe it gave me a 72 signal. Stop the clip early and look at the number on the screen and see for yourself! Got get you some!
https://youtu.be/bz6TDijpbxg

It's not your machine. I hit a 43 war nickel last week with an analog machine (Tesoro Tejon) that came in below a modern nickel, between foil and nickel to be exact. I dug it because it just sounded good, like a small ring. Was surprised to see a bright silver nickel.

My favorite coin to dig. Just remember war nickles, buffs are all over the place from Tinfoil to zincs. Also they leach out. The corrosion and mineralization in the ground have a lot to do with the readings. Also if you arn,t digging them you miss a lot of gold rings and you can take that to the bank. HH, May all your days be filled with GOLD. Jerry aka Tinfoil

Exactly right Jerry.
Since you informed me of this information I've started digging rings again.