Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WARNING for potential Quattro purchasers!

I have decided that Minelab should be required to put the following Warning on all ADs, etc.:

"IF YOU PLAN TO USE Quattro IN WET SAND YOU MAY WANT TO ALSO PURCHASE A BACKHOE"

Guess I am getting too old! Spent a few hours at "-" low tide each of the past three days. Everything I have found has been just TOO DEEP! By the time I finish digging, the holes are 3' in diameter from back fill! This is just too much work for an old man! Perhaps I should reduce the Sensitivity to "8" or so, then I wouldn't have the problem! I shouldn't have specified "wet" sand and just said "on the beach". Yesterday I was detecting as I was walking back through the dry sand. "Ping", a "37", a quarter! (I had stopped digging for "32s" [pennies] already, but still dig quarters). Graph indicated 12"+. I dug 12" (shovel handle marked at 12", 15" and 18") It was still in the hole. Dug past 15" and it was still there! (bottom of hole hard with broken shells, so it had not fallen back-in) Okay, I took one last scoop and there it was! My wife suggested I start working-out at the local gym to build strength and endurance before I go back to the beach! But.... Since the scenery is getting so GOOD at the beach, think I will keep going there and just continue to complain about having to dig so deep!

It's amazing, isn't it? I'm glad to hear you say that because I have related a few beach digs here that were going on 2 feet deep and I know some people said "Yeah, right!".

Well, all I can say is if you have a Quattro and you haven't dug up anything at 1.5' deep or better at the beach than you aren't doing it right. I have witnesses that were blown away at the depth I got on a few digs that they could get NO SIGNAL on with their machines. And if you missed it the first time I said it, when my buddy Jack (Scottishblood) used my Quattro at the beach, he got signals on a dime and a quarter that my Excalibur didn't even break threshold on. Kinda ticked me off, actually. :lol I'm starting to wonder if it might not spank a few PI machines in depth.

Oh boy, Sand Shagger, my heart is really bleeding for you. I know how you feel, I too am getting older, and it's tough having to dig so deep for those gold rings. I think all the people who are complaining about lack of depth should just buy a Quatro, then they could suffer along with the rest of us.
I got an idea!!!!! Maybe we could hire somebody to go along with us and dig the holes so we could just pull out the lute. What do you think???? Well maybe they'll come out with a 2" search coil that only goes 4 inches deep or so and we won't have to dig so much. At any rate, you take care of that digging arm and make sure your health insurance is paid up.:)

I can very much echo this post. I don't hunt beaches often, but I did take the Quattro to Myrtle Beach last weekend. I was routinely digging dimes at 14" to 16" and quarters at 18+". And, this was in dry sand. And, I was using the OEM, 10.5" coil.

I did pull one quarter from about 24" down out of dry sand. On this one, I got a weak, but repeatable, "38" on the display that showed it was at 12+ inches. Once I had dug about 10 or 12 inches, I scanned again, and I couldn't find it. I switched over to Pinpoint mode and was still getting a weak signal where I had located the signal originally, so I kept on digging. (I attribute this to having so much air between the coil and the sand at the bottom of the hole, but would be interested in hearing differing opinions.)

I almost gave up, but remembered from my only other trip to the beach (and frequent posts in this forum on this subject) that the Q finds them deep at the beach, so I kept on digging. Sure enough, the quarter was there. Pretty amazing, I think.

And, while I usually don't like an audience, a couple old guys stopped about mid-way through this dig and kept telling me that they thought I was wasting my time. When I pulled out that quarter, they were amazed. They asked me a bunch of questions about where to buy a Quattro, so maybe I helped Minelab's revenues that day!

BTW, I bought the Quattro a couple months ago, and while I have purchased a 5" coil for the many trashy sites that I usually hunt, I don't see much sense in spending the $$$ for a big coil so I can maybe dig up more than two feet of sand on my infrequent beach hunts.

Take care, and HH.

Thanks for the response. It does "go" deep. I complain about having to dig SO DEEP, but it is a nice feeling when you know that you have a good chance of finding something even after 1 or 2 other detectors have already beaten the path! I get down to Myrtle occasionally, but usually just hit the beach up here in "lower" North Myrtle. No parking hassles, etc.

"Good Hunting!"

Thanks for that response. "Health Insurance?" After a few days in this above normal heat/humidity, "Life Insurance" may be as important!
As far as someone to dig the holes..... I have a "picture" in my mind of what I would like that person to look like! "She" could also carry the bottle of water too!

You're OK Sand Shagger, you still have a sense of humor!!! By the way,,, I sure hope I can get over to the east coast some time. At least that's where I thought Myrtle Beach was. either there or Oregon. Man I need some brain pills, or Map Quest. Anyway, it's always exciting for me to think about what's "just over the hill" so to speak, however, I'm sure I could probably never thoroughly hunt all the beaches here in San Diego, CA. if I searched every day for the rest of my life.
At any rate, keep your good sense of humor, I think it makes everyone feel better about life, and happy hunting. P.S. If you're wife doesn't shoot me, I'll try and find a cool picture of the perfect "assistant for digging". Don't worry, I'll keep it clean. I might have to snag someone for a photo shoot, but I'll work on it. Marc Trainor:geek:

How does the quattro do on gold?I have a thread on the etrac forrum about not being able to pick up gold as i have both the quattro and the etrac and i am planning a trip to sanabel island this summer.I know they are both fbs detectors and was planning on buying an ace 250 to take with me to look for gold?Charlie

Wow...! I was at the beach yesterday, A.C., NJ. , with my Safari and was hitting signals that shown half way on the bar and was still digging after 12"+, I had the sensitivity on Auto most of the time, and tried 16-17 a few times. I have to say the Safari does well in the wet sand, and did noise cancels going from wet to dry, as recommended. I think next time I'll do some depth and sensitivity testing. It looks, (appears) like the sensitivities will have to be knocked down, maybe half. "It may not be a bad problem to have", Well anyway, I managed to find a hand full of clad and trash, the beach was sanded in and it's early in the season. This was my first time on the beach with the Safari, maybe I was a little "gung-ho" to get down there. H.H. to all.