Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Was bringing over the last 6 round bales of hay for the horses.

George-CT

Aside from another 50 square bales, this is all thats left from winter. Keep these in another barn across the street from us. Each one will last about 28 days for 2 horses. Getting a little green grass starting to show now also. My wife was out there with the camera so grabbed a few shots when I came back for lunch.
Not much to see, but at least something to post. I'd be lost with out the backhoe. I use it for about everything I do, like having another man with unlimited strength. Always digging rocks up here, hauling in wood, plowing snow, spreading gravel, moving tons of meadow muffins. One of the better tools I own.

George-CT

Hey George,

I bailed prarie hay as a kid and what I would have given for the new round bale set up!!

It was all bull work and taught me how to handle weight pretty well.

Once in a while I would hit a light bale and nearly throw it over the truck!!:shocked:

CJ

Been doing that for along time and still did last year. But my back no longer likes, nor my wifes. We started getting round bales and they save a lot of labor for sure. Cheaper per ton also by a decent amount. These are about 750 lbs based on what we feed for poundage and how long they last. Most here are going to the round ones. The small operations still do the 40 lb bales for horses. Most are just using up their equipment till it no longer works then either lease the feels to the cow guys who round bale big time. Getting harder to find horse hay here. I know a few barns that bought big trailer loads out of Canada or Upstate NY and sold off what they didn't need. they only stop one place... My wife Jane likes these. You would think I was bringing her a lobster dinner or something.

George-CT

Our fields are all green now... and the horses are looking at them lovingly.. However, as you know..... too much rich grass= problems.

So we only let them out for an hour or two each day.

Fair winds

Micheal

They are out there trying to grab any sprig that comes up. Not enough for sure to harm them. They were both in the barn this morning and had the round bale cornered. They have access to it anytime they want. Getting a lot of rain and some sun but not a lot of grass yet anywhere except where it was left long in the fall. Need sun here now. I'm thrilled to see bare ground again. I dropped a bunch of tree's along the edge of one field this winter but was not able to get at them with all the snow. Now the ground there is to wet so stay off it with the equipment so I don't rut it up. Trying to get the wood done early, but with so much other stuff to catch up on, seems like each project gets a time slice of the day.

Geo

I remember rolling one of those round bales by hand into the back of my pick up. Even with the help of a farm hand who was built like a brick s--thouse we were just able to roll it into the box and I near busted a gut doing it. A backhoe is the way to go.

They are very handy bud.... but the maintenance and upkeep are murder if you have to pay someone to do it... And murder on the body if you do it yourself. :D:

Hope all is well with you.

we will be down your way in July... visit the kids and look at some property.. See you then

Calm seas

Micheal