Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Was handed this today county park

sube

AUTHURIZATION
The portage county parks commission is approving authority for determining the appropriateness of a maintenace plan for burial mounds in portage county parks . The parks department has reached out to representative of the ho-chunk nations , menomonee nation, as well as the wisconsin histotical soceity . The policy is intened to clearly outline a maintenace plan for the burial grounds located in portage county parks system . It provides procedures and guild lines to assure fhat the mounds are treated with the utmost respect ,and responsibly managed in a manner that protects the integrity of the mounds at all times .

DEFINATION

Protection of earth works and burial markers are protected by Wis state statute 157.70 . It stipulates that there may be no disturbance of the burial mound or within the legal buffer of 10 feet from the pereimeter . Portage county will maintain a buffer of no soil disturbance of 20 feet.

METAL DETECTING

Will not be allowed near mound groups or within county parks property. It is illegal to remove artifacts from public lands or disturb the grounds within human burial sites and surroundings.

Now i have detected here 50 years never found a artifact indian . The burial mounds were dug up in the 30s nothing there they were ceremonial mounds I ask the person that gave me this if there was a law saying i could not detect he said no but said it was the parks policy and if found detecting here it would be bad .DAH I ask why no signs saying no metal detecting he said you have to ask at the office and be told no then i ask what about parks without a office and no sign did'nt have a answer .lol

This policy is for the other 27 county parks also and they don't have ceremonial mounds at all DAH so all county parks are off limits .

No law what to do . sube

Native American historical burial grounds are just off limits anymore, too much Treaty work and no basic oversite on those areas abandoned or burial relocated. Unfortunately it actually falls under Federal jurisdiction and locals only have the supporting corresponding laws. We are between two “reservations” and the FBI is adequately busy.
Signage. Absolutely right, there has to be some type wordage to indicate what is not alowed at that location. No alcohol, fireworks, closed at sundown, etc. Should also include the Ordinance number and by who’s order (parks board, commissioners, etc). Cant cite you for a running a stop sign thats not there and “you should have known” has been shot down several times. Tread lightly with any decision you make going back. Federal Court is not a place one wants to be for charges, often Felony level and thats not anything you want to mess with.

You just have to go one higher. Not TOO high if you can help it, but someone other than that person. These people are public works workers, some have no idea about anything. Go one up and explain that you’ve been hunting there for decades, never found any artifacts and you know where these mounds are and you stay away from them. There has to be a middle ground here somewhere, it’s perhaps just a matter of finding it…carefully.

You just have to go one higher. Not TOO high if you can help it, but someone other than that person. These people are public works workers, some have no idea about anything. Go one up and explain that you’ve been hunting there for decades, never found any artifacts and you know where these mounds are and you stay away from them. There has to be a middle ground here somewhere, it’s perhaps just a matter of finding it…carefully.
METAL DETECTING

Will not be allowed near mound groups or within county parks property. It is illegal to remove artifacts from public lands or disturb the grounds within human burial sites and surroundings.
It says mound groups (BUT THEN THEY ADDED THIS ) or county parks property Well i thought it was public property that i have payed taxes on my whole life.
The person they told me to contact is the head of the parks board a arcky from the university how can i trump that.
I really don't care as i said i have hunted it for 50 years the problem here is the other 26 parks they closed that's a lot of land gone in a blink of a eye there are no ceremonial mounds at the other parks .I posted about this last year where they tried to run me off and could not no laws but now we have policy. sube

Just a thought here…. If property is open to the public you might check with the County Commissioners Office. Rules would have to have been discussed at Commissioners monthly meeting and discussed and voted upon before any postings. The discussion and how the Commish voted are all covered under Public Records Laws. One, slim possibility that Parks guy simply posted and Commish unaware. Two, you can see if unanimous or if one or two voted against and if still seated you have an ally to further speak. Posted signs prohibiting any activity normally have the ordinance numbers posted as well.

That's a tough situation, sube. Me, I would test the waters, so to speak, in a few of the other parks and stay off of those with Indian Mounds. If said ordinance gets enforced, the only recourse you seeming have would be to bring it up at a county board meeting. If you and some other detectorists attend a meeting in force and give your views, maybe the ordinance can get changed. Good luck! HH jim tn

It’s all ridiculous anyway. WHAT are they thinking that you might find that requires actual “policy”? And if they are that concerned, why don’t they hire a fleet-o-detectorists to go find this stuff?? Just stupid. And that whole “I paid taxes all my life so isn’t it partially mine” thing tends to have the flight characteristics of a wet pile of sh*t. It’s disappointing at best.

I was talking to the park person that day and he said they have been trying for the last 4 years to make this go .Anyhow i think this has something to do with it (The parks department has reached out to representative of the ho-chunk nations , menomonee nation, as well as the wisconsin histotical soceity . )
Well if i was a Indian i would say yes but why not call the whole state a burial ground after all a Indian may be buryed in the surrounding area.
The only artifacts are from the copper culture (6000) years ago good luck finding them maybe by the lake eroded out of the bank.
Friend of mine found a 7 inch copper spear head and several copper sewing needles in a tear up in the city by me downtown he said 4 feet deep they had dug .So how can you dig anything with a detector unless you have a backhoe 6000 years i bet there all deep.sube

I have a state park that was open to detecting for 40 years. About 10 years ago some kid dug up an Indian "something" and now the park is off limits to detecting. I can get a use permit to go get a ring but that's all you can do. I know people who have detected this park for 30 years before it was shut down.

"We have to protect the artifacts under the dirt" I told that ranger "say that again and listen to how stupid that sounds".

If you go and speak to someone other then who you already have spoken too, get a copy of the data from the 1930s that you spoke about

Knowledge is power, you never know, best of luck.

Tony

Tony i like cw3 reply Tell them you are requesting a formal inventory of those relics they are protecting. Would like to see if they found anything. sube

We had a 247 acre CW battle field in Dallas, GA that was nothing but empty woods, creeks etc. City bought the property recently and instantly up went the "NO RELIC HUNTING SIGNS".
Once it has been decided very few public officials are going to risk their career by bucking the system or sticking up for a single detectorists. It is not like you can rally a crowd of voters who are metal detectorists. That is all the politicians are thinking about is getting re-elected.
And the current crop of voters are very aligned with protecting minority interests. Not saying we should not protect anyone's heritage but in Georgia they are trying and succeeding erasing confederate heritage. It is just the way it is.

My Rules:
1. Hunt after midnight
2. Use night vision
3. Wear Ninja gear w/hoodie and running shoes
4. Use headphones...silence is GOLDEN
5. Turn off your cell phone...silence is _____________
6. Minimize use of miniature flashlight with tinted lens
7. Park 'get away' vehicle at inconspicuous location and 'walk in'. Use 'zig/zag' pattern.
8. Just kidding... :cool: :sneaky::smoke::devil:
9. I never typed this. If anyone asks...tell em, "It was my OTHER brother." Larry or Daryl or __________ (your pick)

Last edited:
Love the Daryl's. Bob was always so funny with his very dry humor. Of course loved his first show also.