Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Was sitting here thinking

Highlifter1000

So I'm sitting and was thinking about hitting this new permission after we get some good weather here in Louisiana. Then I thought about 1900's to now how random gold coins are lost. Like why were people carrying them around with so much silver in circulation. Not that I'm complaining:lmfao:

To answer your question we would need a psychology forum……..🤔😂

Indeed we would😁

I just checked , if you had a 1904 gold 20 dollar coin ,, it had around an ounce of gold in it ,, and gold prices in 1904 was $ 20.67 per ounce. So I suspect that it wasn't any different than carrying a 20 dollar bill.
I did check ,, for the heck of it ,, 20 dollars value today versus 1905 ,, would be $ 617 ,, in dollar value ,, but the gold value would go to whatever today's gold prices are.

Its too bad there still isnt one of them “good old boys” (as Waylon would say) around to ask this question.

My thought is maybe that,, back when they were carrying them,, they weren't worth much more than face value ,, and them folks probably figured it was safer in their pocket than stashed at the house.
That makes perfect sense to me.(y)

I just checked , if you had a 1904 gold 20 dollar coin ,, it had around an ounce of gold in it ,, and gold prices in 1904 was $ 20.67 per ounce. So I suspect that it wasn't any different than carrying a 20 dollar bill.
I did check ,, for the heck of it ,, 20 dollars value today versus 1905 ,, would be $ 617 ,, in dollar value ,, but the gold value would go to whatever today's gold prices are.
Indeed (y)

I've read that a gold coin back then, like one today, was worth a Colt Single Action Army revolver. I sure don't carry that much money on my person. Twenty dollars in the late 1800's was a very good monthly wage. I doubt many trusted their pockets with them!

While out West on vacation to Yellowstone Park (early & mid 1960's) with my former husband & two small children, whenever we purchased anything we would receive Silver Dollars in change & being heavy--they soon weighed down his pockets & my purse, so difficult on the pants' pockets--we unloaded them when we got back to our home in Maplewood, MO --for shame, as alas, by not saving them as souveniers, although plentiful then, they soon began to disappear after 1964 when the GOV quit minting them! That's when regret was really felt, as I didn't start my coin collection until too late to have kept all those nice shiney Silver Dollars & various coins minted in different Mints! Collecting coins & antiques was one of my hobbies among many others--I was always busy doing something while watching our Black & White movies & programs on our TV or cleaning house while listening to the TV or the Radio--I led a full life regardless of what others may think because with Jesus, I was able to keep busy with home, yard, jobs, washing, ironing & sewing for my husband & active kids!

I ,also, listened to Jonny Cash, his wife June Carter Cash & her mother Maybell Carter & daughters--Good Singers & songs sung! Ma