Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Watch out fo Bugs - Don't forget your Bug Ointments!

madaboutmike

Had an unpleasant side effect from a detecting foray. I was detecting an abandoned recreational area. Later that night, I noticed itchiness on my left ribs. Didn't think much of it - I've been bug bit before and in fact, the first time I went out with a MD, i go stung by a yellow jacket right on top of my skull!

Within a few days of this last bug incident, my girlfriend noticed that the area around my ribs had developed a large circular swelling and there was a 'crater' in the center. I don't spend much time admiring my 'beautiful' Brad Pitt body. My girlfriend accused me of competing with her - that I had gone to a plastic surgeon and had gotten a breast implant!. I started to get night chills and sweats - literally drenched myself and when I work up, I was so hot I had to throw the covers off.

I went to the doc. He was most impressed with my bug bite but he couldn't figure out the culprit. I was also Lyme Titered. Gave me antiboitics. Within a day and a half, infection started receeding. Titer test proved negative.

Had a conversation with Dixie Metal Detectors about new Coinsearch Coil they sent me. In some situations I use a Minelab. I was told that my bug bite may have been made by a chigger. a nasty little creature almost microscopic. He said when you find a crater developing, get some nail polish and paint over the bite - it closes the wound and prevents oxygen from getting in - infections need to breathe.

The moral of the story is don't forget to protect yourself. Even a parks and soccer fields have aggressive bug pests. For instance, Lyme disease can cause paralysis, neurological problems that may be diagnosed as another disorder. Just because you get Lyme Titered doesn't mean the test is accurate. Watch out. While you're out there swinging a coil, something might me watching you or crawling up your trousers! Mike

Glad you got the antibiotics, make sure you finish the entire course! FYI the Lyme titer will test negative for a while (up to 6-8 weeks) following the bite/acute infection because the titer tests your for antibodies that your body takes a while to make. If you had a "bullseye" looking rash (round w/clearring and red middle section like rings) that's called erythema migrans and is highly suspicious for Lyme's. Those little deer tick bastards are small so you might not have seen it attached though "they" say the tick needs to be attached for at least 24 hours to infect.

Also, some infections like not to breathe so to speak. I'd be careful what you paint yourself with if you find a crater :laugh: Good body art though.
Good luck and spray that DEET on!
HH,
Steve .