Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Watch out for Bugs!

madaboutmike

WARNING! In my search for buried riches, I sometimes forget an important precaution. Insect repellent. A few days after a preliminary hunt, I noticed small lumps on the left side of my rib cage. I thought nothing of it because I'd been bitten by a variety of pests including deer ticks and thought it would go away. A week later, I started developing flu-like symptoms: Headaches, muscle aches, fatigue. I tied this with allergy season. It got worse. Chills came and went, fevers spiked and broke in my sleep. I'd go to bed chilly and shivering like a wet dog, warm up, wake up soaked in sweat and boiling hot. My girlfriend got a look at me - a splotch the size of a coffee can lid was spreading on my rib cage;there was a bite crater in the center. She made me go to the doc - it wasn't flu. I had developed a worsening systemic infection which indicates antibiotics and blood tests. Systemic means it's gotten into the blood. I feel much better after only 3 doses but I still have to wait if further treatment is required because the doc suspected my white blood count had been affected. Don't forget your insect repellent! This happened during a late April search - I didn't think the bugs were active. Wrong. Spray yourselves for safeties sake. mike

Extremely good advice!!!! Its why I've come to ending my relic hunting season come the beginning of May until the first frost in fall. Not to mention the snakes we have here in the South that start getting a lot more active after some periods of 80 degree temps. I've run into a number of health wrecked relic hunters that have had lime disease, rocky mountain spotted fever or have large chunk of flesh missing from a brown recluse bite or have been bitten a few times by snakes and now have heart problems. Its just not worth it. Safety First !!!!!!!!!!!

Great advice, I think I'll go put some bug juice in my pack while I'm thinking about it, and one more precaution, out here in the California gold country, ya gotta be on the lookout for [size=large]rattlesnakes[/size] too!

where do you live?..must be a southern area?..black flies are just emerging now here in new england!

(h.h!)
j.t.

glad i live in new england!..we gotta watch for ticks,but get spared on just about everything else!..(hot damn!)..scary!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Yeah, I live in the heart of Dixie, North Alabama. I choose to only relic hunt 8 months out of the year. The months of late spring and summer are just too frought with difficulty to be worth it to me. I got poison ivy 5 times last summer and that decided me on taking the summer off. However, I will be getting a Fisher F-75 in the next month or so and will probably take it coinshooting in some of the parks and schools to learn it. Nothing wrong with coinshooting, but its not why I got into detecting.

i might grab one of those too!..running some terrific promotions right now!

(h.h!)'
j.t.

Good advice mate. Once over here in Australia whilst I was digging out a deep target I must have inhaled some real bad micro bugs. Within an hour my skin felt painfull, three hours later I had the developed a bronchitus type infection and by the nights end I was in hostpital on intravenous antibiotics and oxygen. A week later I was discharged and it was 6 months before I felt 100%.
The doc reckoned it was similar to what the guys in the 1st world war developed and some died from, trench fever, a bug that lives in the soil and when it is inhaled your in trouble.
Who said detecting was a nice easy way to pass the time!