Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Water hunters. A scoop question.

Hard to answer...depends on the type of hunting. Soft sand will allow pretty well any scoop including aluminum. Hard pack sand and or rocky bottom must be a stainless steel scoop. If the targets are deep, the scoop should be long. Make sure the holes are not too big for the type of targets you will be searching for. If you travel a collapsible one might be a good idea.

Valid and succinctly put John...thing is, Orion, if you get addicted to beach/water hunting, you almost need two scoops...A real light fast dry sander, and an industrial duty water hunter.....good scoops are expensive for a reason...try to make one yourself and you will see...anyway, if you provide a bit more detail about your desires and your areas conditions, somebody will step up and make a good recommendation..:thumbup:
Mud

Looking for a better long handle one for mixed sand with some rock. Needs to be able to be pushed in by my foot as my one arm is messed up. I have a decent stainless steel one but it's a bit small in the basket. My brother in law has a shop that could make me one if I can come up with a good design. Just looking for something better than what I have.

John

your scooping technique will affect what kind of scoop you use and how well you use it. I have a Sunspot scoop with a 4 foot handle and I push in a little, pull the handle back, push in until I think I've gone deep enough to recover my target. Swing the coil and do it again until the signal stops and check the scoop. I take smaller bites in hard gravel and mussel shells and bigger bites in wet sand. I favor the 4 foot scoop handle and when I get in a creek with thick mud, I take the 1/4 inch hardware cloth out for easier drainage. good luck & happy hunting.

I got an RTG 741 ? or whatever stainless for my first scoop bud. It is tank tough but it also has some weight to it. I also found early on that the narrower scoop mouth makes for tough recoveries at times. Now I want a scoop with a larger mouth.