Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Water Hunting Info

Turak

To all you detector enthusiasts that regularly hunt the water.....

What depth would you say is typically best to hunt (i.e. knee deep, waist deep, chest deep, etc.?

Using an AT Pro, what mode, sensitivity, and other settings do you typically use?

Dear turak : with at pro ....and in my opinion for 1 year and 3 months in the beach and wet sand follow me #
1. Keep the sensitivity high first.
2. Put the discrimination to 40 .
3. Make ground balance in every three or 5 meter when you walk inside the water or in wet beach sand.
4. To be honest .. Garrett at pro is not great machine inside the beach water.
5. Use only the two of professional search coils and throw the standard coil forever . Use NEL SNAKE OR NEL SHARPSHOOTER FOR THE BEACH and don't worry about the depth you can catch the targets underground with 7 to 10 inch .
6. Use NEL THUNDER for the dry land because with it you can find any target with 11 inch to 15 inch and maybe more if the target is big .
Last ... Buy Garrett AT MAX why because have threshold option and it will help you to control the machine inside the beach water with no noise same at pro ... Regards . If you want more explain just send to me your questions. Sorry for my bad English language.

Most items are lost in the first four feet of water's depth. Now...that area changes as the tide change, of course.

Settings I start off at:

For fresh water: set up as you would for the dry land around the beach's water area.

For salt water: drop the Ground Balance to 14-16 or so, set the sensitivity a point where you can put up with the "falsing", and iron discriminate to your preference but not above 37.

MAKRO RACER POWER said:
Dear turak : with at pro ....and in my opinion for 1 year and 3 months in the beach and wet sand follow me #
1. Keep the sensitivity high first.
2. Put the discrimination to 40 .
3. Make ground balance in every three or 5 meter when you walk inside the water or in wet beach sand.
4. To be honest .. Garrett at pro is not great machine inside the beach water.
5. Use only the two of professional search coils and throw the standard coil forever . Use NEL SNAKE OR NEL SHARPSHOOTER FOR THE BEACH and don't worry about the depth you can catch the targets underground with 7 to 10 inch .
6. Use NEL THUNDER for the dry land because with it you can find any target with 11 inch to 15 inch and maybe more if the target is big .
Last ... Buy Garrett AT MAX why because have threshold option and it will help you to control the machine inside the beach water with no noise same at pro ... Regards . If you want more explain just send to me your questions. Sorry for my bad English language.

I haven't used one in awhile but doesn't the setting of 40 on the disc take out a lot of foil?

The majority of gold and silver has come from the shoreline to waist deep water but my best finds, white gold/diamonds and platinum has been in chest deep water but mostly in waist deep...HH

Sorry I didn't specify.....

Talking about Freshwater lakes and rivers. Beach area, sandy lake bottom.

Thanks for the tips.

The reason I ask is that targets don't always move around in fresh water lakes as they do in the ocean. You might use a different technique. When hunting lakes, targets settle more, and as a result, can concentrate in the first 20 ft. A small coil does wonders in those conditions.

Using AT PRO GOLD NOW for 4 years in fresh water lakes up to my chest from shoreline down. The finds are unreal using stock coil, slow and easy is the trick BOYS AND GIRLS. 45 YEARS USING GARRETT DETECTORS.
There many fresh water lakes around and are easy on your detector. 1000s of dollars found RINGS,GOLD CHARMS GOLD AND SILVER NICKLES AND PLAT. ALSO. I KID YOU NOT 1 MEN'S 18K ROLEX WATCH IN 3 FEET OF WATER. THAT PUT A SMILE ON MY FACE AND A CHUNK OF CASH IN WAIF'S POCKET. No their was no name on watch. Why any one would wear a ROLEX to the beach is stupid.

PS I WATER HUNT 95%OF THE TIME 20-30 HOURS A WEEK.

Gold jewelery has gone undetected with settings down to 38 on the iron disciminate. That is why I use 37, one must dig trash to get treasure!

I like to use no discrimination in the pro setting myself. John is right about the smaller coil and I prefer the 5 x 8 coil now to the 8.5 x 11 stock coil. Haven't been detecting much this year, but hope to hit the river after the memorial day weekend Wednesday morning. It's just easier on these old bones in the water than on land. I have found gold and silver jewelry right up next to the wall at the fresh water lake to neck deep. Just shows people lose jewelry and coins at all depths and one thing about the spot I go to is they raised the water up 18 feet from the early 1960's to hold more water for the power dam. Lots of jewelry and silver coins above my head as this area used to be waist deep to neck deep and is now much deeper.