Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Water hunting

lambo1

Does anyone know if there has been info posted yet on how well the CTX works in the water - fresh or salt?

Thanks,
Lambo

This is something, I hope we here soon; I plan on doing fresh water shallow lake hunting with it this summer. I know the etrac was not hot on gold I am hoping this 1 is atleast hot enough till I buy an excal for water hunting!

MTwolf,
I was planning to hunt the water in Lake Michigan this summer and looking for a detector for both land and water.
It would have to be a good enough water detector to to justify what I spend but I have no problem speding the money
if it performs in the water.

Lambo

I would guess that, just like any other BBS or FBS Minelab, it's probably not going to be as sensitive to fine gold like small earrings or necklaces compared to some other brands. On the other hand, when it comes to a gold ring, and even a very thin gold ring, Minelabs will get these deeper than any other VLF detector I know of on the market. It all depends on your strategy. To me, the most common item lost in the water or at the beach is a gold ring and not a neckless or an earring, so the ring is what I want the most depth on. Being round and intact, mimicking a coin, a Minelab will get a ring (even a thin ring) at greater depths then any other VLF detector I am aware of. There are one or two new VLF machines just coming to market that make great claims about incredible depths. However, this hasn't been proven to me by an unbiased enough source, and they have very limited discrimination abilities and other drawbacks that make them almost useless for anything other than beach or crop field hunting...If indeed they do prove to have the depths that are being claimed. No VDI, no tone alerts, no modulated audio (for telling how deep the target is), instability anywhere near an EMI source, inability to handle salt water, and so on. I must see MUCH more proof from these up coming machines before I'll give an ounce of credibility to them.

lambo1 said:
Does anyone know if there has been info posted yet on how well the CTX works in the water - fresh or salt?

Thanks,
Lambo

To quote one tester from another site:
Unfortunatly we didn't get branded detectors until last week, so we won't have anything for you to see [field test videos, my remark] for quite a while. I am in Norway now until Sunday, filming, but the wheather is crap... I pulled ten rings off a beach in four feet of water... I wanted to go deeper, but we haven't got the waterproof headphones yet (so am on wireless).
Doesn't sound like it has troubles in salt water.

Well I will certianly give it a test this summer and post my thoughts and finds

For many of us, this is going to open up a new type of hunting - water hunting. I imagine the AT Pro did the same for many people.

It will be nice to hunt the shallow water for rings as I would imagine that the numbers must be close for rings lost in and out of the water - as the reason rings generally come off is due to colder water shrinking the fingers some. So, there must be a lot of rings in the shallows at those places we found them on the shoreline.