Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Water mods . . . one more post . . . . . :surrender:

Andy Sabisch

OK, I have gotten calls and E-mails on this topic and I wanted to post a few comments that may help those looking at going this route . . . . .

The focus of the question is on the other end of the antenna wire - not the end at the coil but the end that comes out of the water.

The gist of the questions that have come in is captured in this one:

"I just did my first water test today. Placed a penny in a five gallon paint pail (without the paint of course). Filled it a little over half full. Turned on the control unit. Select sound on. Tried to detect the penny without antenna attached to the coil. No signal on the penny. Attached the antenna to the coil. left the other end of the antenna on the ground with the control unit in my pocket. Was able to easily detect the penny in the water. moved control unit about five feet away. Was still able to detect the penny in the water. Turned the control unit off. Brought it into the house and got my WS5 headphones. Turned on the headphones. It took a while for the headphones to find the coil. Had to move the end of the antenna a little closer but was able to detect the penny in the water with the headphones with the end of the antenna about three feet from the headphones. So......if seems like id does in fact work as a wireless connection once the end of the antenna is out of the water."

I do not want to come across being blunt but let me say that testing in a 5 gallon bucket, a kiddie swimming pool, a bathtub or even a garden pond is really not representative of what you will face when you are waist deep or deeper in a lake, river or ocean site searching for lost valuables. Testing this way will simply show you that in fact the signal can't reach out through the water to get to the control unit or the headphones . . . . but I think we all knew that already.

The point is that while you may in fact get a signal to be picked up by the control unit and / or headphones without the wire touching or even being near the component, experience will show that when you are in the water and the end is moving around, you may or may not get a signal and at least with my luck, the point where I drop the signal for 10 seconds is when the coil will pass over that $10,000 platinum and diamond ring.

All I can suggest is to copy what others have honed and proven to work . . . and that is to have the antenna go from the coil, up the shaft and be affixed near the control unit hump or the headphones - both configurations are shown in the book in the Beach and Water Hunting chapter. This ensures the signal reaches the control unit and / or headphones and makes sure you do not miss something.

But with that being said, I always tell people to use whatever technique they find that works . . so if simply running the antenna out of the water works for you under actual beach hunting conditions - not in a simulated test environment - then by all means stick with it and bring home the goodies.

There are several Deus owners that water hunt with the unit and their input on this topic is welcomed and invited . . . .

Andy

Andy, excellent write-up.. Another thing to keep in mind is if your not getting the full/clean sounding signal in the water, exactly as you hear on land then something is off. The receive end of antennae WILL work UP TO a few feet away, but works much better while consistently remaining close to the remote or headphones. As you touched on already, if what your using already works "out of the bucket" and in the real world, keep on hunting!

perhaps you coukd use your post as a sticky to benefit future( or even current) water hunters?

Also - at one time as I was in hurry I mounted the wire to the coil not on the end with the charger points, but on the other side. That day the signals were very hacked and not very clear.
The same could happen, if the wire slips away from its grip on the coil I imagine.
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf

I don't understand why the copper wire in the RG6 cable doesn't cause signals in the coil, is it because its not moving, that's the only thing that I couldn't figure out, I know that this works I guess I'm just one if those people that like to know how and why in things, so how does the copper wire not cause the DEUS to sound off, and thanks for the great info as always Andy!!

Even bigger question...to me...the detector circuit and all is sitting inside the coil...how in the heck does that work. Some mighty tricky compensation working there.

Its the same as with the wires on any other detector, as long as they don't move in relation to the coil, you will not get a signal. The most people know these phantom like signals you get, if the coil is having collisions with the environment - the reason often is the move impulse the attached wire gets.
The detector is measuring differences in the field. One circle of wire for sending, one or more for receiving. The differences matter, and due to moving above the object the received electromagnetical field will change. The trick is now "only" to determine from the change in comparision to the sent field, which kind of change is caused by which kind of object and made this info accessible for the detectorist.
Best greetings from Germany
Olaf