Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Waterproof???

tomtowns

I've ALMOST convinced myself to get a A/T Gold as a dual purpose tradeoff type deal (because I'm not rolling in cash...:sadwalk:) I just finished putting together my hookah outfit & want to do a little nugget hunting along with swimming hole ring prospecting... HOW GOOD is the waterproofing on these units? Has anybody done any mods that would improve the integrity of the waterproofing? To 25-30 ft.?

The AT Series are rated to 10 ft. I am not aware of anyone doing a mode to increase the depth. The Seahunter Mark II is rated to 100ft at a comparable price.

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_sea_hunter_main.aspx

Thanks for the reply John...every year, I spend a couple weeks of my "off" time looking to see if one of the major manufacturers has come out with a detector that will do double duty as an underwater "ring collector" & small nugget shooter for finding crevices in the bedrock that are worthy of cracking open & cleaning out. The A/T gold appears to be "just on the edge" of what I'm looking for though I haven't been able physically handle one yet. The one feature it has that I find intriguing is the audio I.D.

Another 20' of wtaerproofing would seal the deal...

There are places on the river that are too deep for the AT/Pro and I would love to have the Sea Hunter, but have to pay for my other detectors first. No more than I get to detect, I would be wasting my little money. I would love to combine the sea hunter with a hookah and do some serious detecting in the river. It's got a lot of history and nice finds waiting for the person with the tools and training to use them. I definitely would get some diver training before using a hookah since I am inexperienced. Good luck and HH.

One of the best features of the AT Pro, however, is its fast recovery time. It sniffs out the desireable targets in very trashy environments.

aj

Yeah, rivers hold a lot of goodies...so do some lakes. I'm trying to work a deal right now for an AT Gold. Over the years, I've toyed with the idea of putting a Gold Bug in a waterproof housing but never got around to giving it a shot. I guess 10' is better than nothing. Maybe late this winter, I'll give it a go with the AT...

Wait for a little while longer and White's will have the waterproof TDI ready to sell.

ArizFlash said:
Wait for a little while longer and White's will have the waterproof TDI ready to sell.

I'm going on 62 this year...toe tapping time is running out & arthritis is setting in... :blink: I had a GPX 3500 a while back but wouldn't want it in an underwater detector. Especially for where I intend to use it....5-6" for a 1 gram nugget will suffice...in the creeks/rivers I generally hunt, 10' deep will work for 99.9% of where I'd like to use it but for hunting jewelry/rings, there are quite a few swimming holes that will be unreachable.

Tom,
Just remember, if the head unit is at 9-10ft.
and pretty vertical, you'll have another 1-3 feet
deeper depending how long the shaft is extended!
; ) every little bit helps right!

Pete

tomtowns said:
I've ALMOST convinced myself to get a A/T Gold as a dual purpose tradeoff type deal (because I'm not rolling in cash...:sadwalk:) I just finished putting together my hookah outfit & want to do a little nugget hunting along with swimming hole ring prospecting... HOW GOOD is the waterproofing on these units? Has anybody done any mods that would improve the integrity of the waterproofing? To 25-30 ft.?

knightsquad said:
Tom,
Just remember, if the head unit is at 9-10ft.
and pretty vertical, you'll have another 1-3 feet
deeper depending how long the shaft is extended!
; ) every little bit helps right!

Pete

Believe me, I've already thought of going that route.... :drinking: How does this sound?....How about running the control box attached to the floatation of the hookah rig & running custom coil & headphone wires wrapped around the air hose down to the headphones & coil??? Converting between a mobile detector & a diving detector would be a snap... :wacko: