Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Way too cool to believe. Must read! Part I

laynecarr

Well, I'm out on the beach this weekend, minding my own business, picking up a couple of bucks in clad coins and a woman approaches me and starts a conversation about her father -- a former detector. Come to find out, he has passed on and she is wondering if I know someone who would like his old detectors. I told her, although I was fairly new to the hobby, I was thoroughly addicted and I could find good homes for the detectors. I asked her if I could pay her something for her trouble, and she replied she didn't want any money, she just wanted to get the old things out of her house. She said she wasn't sure if they were toys, or legitimate detectors. I set up a time to meet her the following day a couple of blocks from my condo to take a look. To my shock, she drags three dusty detectors out of her trunk and immediately recognize one as an old green Garrett. I take a look and I don't recognize the exact model, but it is an early one (see pics). The next out of the trunk is another classic; a Tesoro LOBO Super Traq in pretty decent shape. The third detector is a Fisher M-Scope Gold Bug -- complete with a pair of White's headphones. She starts telling me how her father had actually used at least one of these for gold prospecting. Seeing the fairly good condition, I again offer this kind soul some cash for the machines. She won't hear of it and thanks me (!) for taking them off her hands. From the pics, you can see the machines are in pretty good condition, but I still don't know if they work. I get them home and check the battery compartments, and to my surprise, all the batteries in the Fisher and Tesoro are dead, but in like new condition. Unfortunately, the Garrett seems to be missing a slide-in battery holder that slides into the machine.

Anyway, long day at work today, so I haven't had a chance to buy new batteries for these babies, but I can't wait to try them out. Here's a question: I've not seen another Garrett like this one anywhere -- can someone please ID this model? Also, if anyone has any tips for using these machines, all advice is welcome! I'm truly beside myself with this act of generosity and I plan to pay it forward. See Part II for pics of the Fisher...

Mike

Okay. Upon closer inspection, it appears the Garrett is a Coin Hunter (since it says so in big bold letters on one side of the casing - duh!). Best I can guess is between 1977 and 1979. Anyone know where I can get a battery case for this machine?

Mike

Super cool !!

That ole Garrett is going to surprise you, if its a working unit. Really good on deep relics, especially bullets and brass.

You can get the battery tray here, or he can tell you exactly where to buy one.

http://www.brokendetector.com/index.htm

He repairs all models of older detectors even D-Tex ........... most any analog unit if it was a "brand name" unit.

Also repairs newer units as well, but his focus is the older ones.

Anyway ....... three GREAT machines !!

All three are definitely KEEPERS.

D

the lobo and the fisher are both gold bug favorites. the lobo is an expensive machine- go to the websites for prices. man you scored a Grand! the coil aint cheap either. to heck with gold rings- you found something better in more ways than one- an angel and three fine units. God bless her and God rest him- i am sure you will enjoy them and he will be happy they are swinging again. those were serious units- not a novice toy by any means. even if they are not the machines for your type hunting- the trades for a lobo and fisher will be great. the garrett even for collectors of nostalgia but its not a slacker either. the man undoubtly loved his hobby- and you can carry on for him. congrats and keep the faith for him- hunt something!

when i die i will have a list off who my units are left too.. users not sellers to get what little i got!

I agree; this lady was an angel and her father was obviously a true hunter. I have used the Lobo three times now and I'm still figuring out the subtle nuances of the tones and volume. I'm already distinguishing between foil and coins. Now, if I can just get on some of that gold! Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

I LOVE MY LOBO ST you scored with that alone. The others are bonus! What a lucky person you are. The Lobo has lifetime warranty, although not transferable they are pretty flexible with coverage I have found. I have found 6 gold rings in a 2 week period with mine recently.Most used Lobos go for $425+ on craigslist

Who you going to give them to. ???????

Its a Coin Hunter P.B. (push button) 5 khz. If you can't get the battery tray from Garrett direct and have to go secondhand then you should get the six battery one for your model or the Master Hunter or the Coin Hunter/Master Hunter ADS versions.

You may be able to use the trays from the 15 kilohertz VLF/TR's and the B.F.O. models because though they only use 4 and 3 batteries respectively the tray would hold six. Check first that Garrett did in fact extend the external circuit along the full length of the tray and fit the terminals.

Thanks for the lead on a battery tray for the Garrett. I'm definitely keeping the Tesoro. The Fisher isn't working, but I plan to send it in for repair. Won't know if the Garrett works until I get the battery tray. I'm nearing retirement, as is my closest friend of 30 years, so I'm going to get him into the hobby when we both have more time. I'll probably give him the Fisher. I also have a 21 month old granddaughter I plan to introduce to the hobby as soon as she is old enough to enjoy the thrill of the hunt and excitement of the find. I will likely sell the Garrett, but I will be fair on the price -- considering it was given to me -- only looking to get out of it what I put into it. I'll put it on the classifieds in a few months.