Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

We break the Barber sisters out of the same jail cell...:thumbup:

trojdor

CZconnoisseur and I haven't been posting in a while...not because we haven't been hunting/finding...it's just been a busy summer.

I felt this was worth taking a break from 'life', and posting...

It started out as a typical hunt. The weather was actually cooperating for a change.
It had been raining for several days straight...making the ground perfect for digging.

But of course, the moisture 'lights up' the deep iron, so we were not going to get away without 'paying our dues', and digging rusty square nails.
And of course, all the other trash a public area collects over 150 years of use. :sad:

Because the ground was much softer than usual, we had chosen a park that typically has hard ground...hoping it would be easier diggings.
After digging a couple of junk signals, I got a really nice, faint high tone that sounded promising.

Digging down about 9 inches, up popped a round coin. I immediately called out "Coin", then quickly followed with, "Silver!" when I saw the color.
CZ came over to check it out, and when it was obvious it was a pretty sharp Barber dime, he kindly offered to find a discarded bottle of water to help wash it off. :thumbup:

While he was 'foraging', I dutifully double checked the hole to make sure there were no more signals....and shazaam!...the pinpointer went off in exactly the same spot I pulled the Barber!
When CZ got back with the water, we carefully cleaned off the date and mint mark areas to read "1911-D". And pretty darned sharp.

I let him know of the second signal, and he wanted to see me dig it. I hesitated for a moment...savoring the possibility that it 'could' be another coin...but knowing full well it could just as easily be a co-located bit of trash.
So carefully digging down another inch plus, I pulled up a ball of dirt...in which we could both see the silver rim of another dime!

Woohoo! Gently popping off the dirt revealed an even older, better Barber dime...a 1901-O. :)
It's been a long time since I dug a Barber coin spill. It was sweet!

The rest of the hunt saw both of us pull some deep wheats, and CZ snagged his own silver...a Rosy. (Which in these heavily hunted parks, is typically harder to find than a Barber!)
Another great coin 'rescue' operation!
:)
mike

Wow, the father really got around. 10 yrs apart and had babes in Denver and New Orleans. Now go look for the dads mother or grandmothers...

Wow, the father really got around. 10 yrs apart and had babes in Denver and New Orleans. Now go look for the dads mother or grandmothers...

Nice finds I had the same thing happen to me my very first barbra dime spill but I had to leave
Did not recheck my hole came back a week later rechecked the whole another barbra a 1898 and 1901
Both looked brand new must have been lost early 1900's

Congrats!!!

Haven't ever done that one! Congrats to you!!! I did hunt a modern day fairgrounds that goes back to the 1800's, has been metal detected to death!!! But, first time I went, 10 feet and I found an 1891 S Seated Dime, hunted for another hour, nothing but trash. Next time I went 5 feet - 1904 Barber! Same thing more trash for an hour. Next time 1911 Barber after about 15 minutes! Next 5 times, nothing but trash. The last time, about a month ago, I hunted for 2-3 hours, lots of trash, can slaw, etc. Then I got a solid 73 on my Fisher F-4. I was tired, I thought, OH Well, I'll dig it, probably a new dime, 3 inches down and out popped an 1890 Seated Dime! My second one on this permission, and my third one total! My other one is an 1861 Seated! (Not found at this place though). There is too much junk though so I don't usually dig up zincolns, lots of them! But I also give up Indian Heads too. It has been a good silver mine for me though!

Those Barbers are in great condition, trojdor! It's a treat to dig 2 in the same hole! My best Barber spill was a 1913 Barber dime in the same hole with 3 Barber nickles - 1909, 1910 and 1911. Best of luck and ...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel