Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weekend hunt with the old CoRe

dfmike

It's been a while since I have used the CoRe. I went out to a new area which I knew was promising but challenging because of the trash that I would encounter. This place was once a turn of the century old tavern recently demolished and converted to a city park. I was shocked by all the trash. Detecting there was an absolute nightmare. According to the CoRe, something made of metal was in the ground every few inches and that was with iron discriminated out ! The racket was insane. I dug mostly coin range signals and raised discrimination at times to make sense of the noise barrage. I was going to leave after I found a few recent copper pennies but out came a 1892 large cent which kept me interested. My finds from the 1800's are rare and always exciting. I also found an old buckle with iron pin still intact and a few older pennies from 1940, 1943, 1947 and 1951. I'm still looking for my first silver coin of the year. I'm sure it is hiding in this area somewhere and I'll find it later.

On a side note, I should have used the small round coil on the detector. The 5 X 9 is quite good but in this amount of trash, only the smallest of coil will pull out the good stuff and make sense of everything that is in the ground.

Nice hunt !

Mike congrats, that's a nice large cent. Yep, I would be getting that small coil on for sure and pick thru that area.

But I hear you, the silver seems to be scarce this year. Here it is almost July and I am only at 4 silvers for the year. But I agree with you, there has got to be a silver or two lurking around that site you found. That little coil on the CoRe will sniff them out. :)

I'm curious is your site an iron infested site or is it more non-ferrous infested ( tabs, can slaw etc etc) I have one site that Monte and I hunt that is a non-ferrous trash nightmare. We each use the CoRe and small coil ( the "oor" coil) and just cherry pick it.

If it's iron then that makes it easier. You can set your ID Mask at 21 to quiet most the iron and the CoRe is still a great unmasker with the small coil on. ( The Racers, MMK and Anfibio can't match the CoRe with the small coil)

I just bought an MMK with extra coils etc. It lasted a week and got sold. It didn't offer anything that My Racers, CoRe and Relic could do. ( except it was waterproof, which isn't really a factor for me)

Anyhow good luck and let us know how it turns out when you get a chance to get back in there again.

OregonGregg said:
I'm curious is your site an iron infested site or is it more non-ferrous infested ( tabs, can slaw etc etc) I have one site that Monte and I hunt that is a non-ferrous trash nightmare. We each use the CoRe and small coil ( the "oor" coil) and just cherry pick it.

If it's iron then that makes it easier. You can set your ID Mask at 21 to quiet most the iron and the CoRe is still a great unmasker with the small coil on. ( The Racers, MMK and Anfibio can't match the CoRe with the small coil)

I just bought an MMK with extra coils etc. It lasted a week and got sold. It didn't offer anything that My Racers, CoRe and Relic could do. ( except it was waterproof, which isn't really a factor for me)

Anyhow good luck and let us know how it turns out when you get a chance to get back in there again.

I'm not sure what all the junk is but I've dug a few of the signals in the 50 and 60 range and what i got out are chunks of metal that look like welding bits and pieces. They have no shape to speak of, just a glob of something that seems to be lead in composition by the weight. Strange. Even with discrimination turned way up just before the coin range, the detector burps, hiccups and grunts like crazy. In fact I no longer raise the discrimination on the CoRe past low foil as it seems to make the detector even noisier when I raise it in very trashy places (it makes more partial or clipped sounds). I just find it very difficult to make sense of the barrage of noises in areas like this. I'm listening for the high tone which I get at times but the rest of the racket gets annoying very fast. In most places where nails or other iron debris abound, I just raise masking to about 39 to silence iron and it's not too bad on the ears but not in this area.