Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weekend trip to Norfolk with plans on learning the Impulse AQ more

tvr

Did not take the waders, but did take the 18 inch boots so I could get the coil wet. The beaches in the area have presented some interesting finds and challenges on previous trips here. One beach in particular has hot rocks that look like broken up granite that have given the Excal fits. I expected to have fits with the AQ and was pleasantly surprised that I did not; it could be set to exclude them. Knowing that a high ATS setting in tone mode or mute mode shows much of the iron as iron, I started with an ATS setting of 8.5. and disc 3. Found that disc setting did not make much difference on the rocks but with disc set at 3.5, got ATS to just short of 9 and no more hot rocks in mute mode. I detected for a while in mute mode. With these settings it hit hard on a larger brass snap swivel that came up still attached to the fishing line. Pulled the line and a 4 ounce lead sinker comes up. With the sinker on the sand I sweep the coil over it and nothing in mute. In tone it goes low tone. Drop the ATS to just under 8.5 and the sinker is clear as can be in mute and high tone in tone mode. Using the same just under 9 ATS setting was also excluding pieces of crab traps in mute mode that I had dug a little earlier at lower ATS. Now I will need to go out with some gold samples and make sure I’m not excluding them, but I feel pretty good that with these settings I still got tabs and a very deep copper wire thing that is wound about the diameter of a ring.

Picture is of what I dug, minus the couple of crab trap pieces that were left in the trash can at the hotel. I know where to find plenty of those if I want to test them. Stuff on the left and the little necklace in the middle will stick to a magnet, stuff on the right won’t. Not a lot of targets, but a productive learning outing.

Still a lot to learn about the beast, but am becoming more comfortable with it with each use.
NorfolkFeb2021.jpg

Did not take the waders, but did take the 18 inch boots so I could get the coil wet. The beaches in the area have presented some interesting finds and challenges on previous trips here. One beach in particular has hot rocks that look like broken up granite that have given the Excal fits. I expected to have fits with the AQ and was pleasantly surprised that I did not; it could be set to exclude them. Knowing that a high ATS setting in tone mode or mute mode shows much of the iron as iron, I started with an ATS setting of 8.5. and disc 3. Found that disc setting did not make much difference on the rocks but with disc set at 3.5, got ATS to just short of 9 and no more hot rocks in mute mode. I detected for a while in mute mode. With these settings it hit hard on a larger brass snap swivel that came up still attached to the fishing line. Pulled the line and a 4 ounce lead sinker comes up. With the sinker on the sand I sweep the coil over it and nothing in mute. In tone it goes low tone. Drop the ATS to just under 8.5 and the sinker is clear as can be in mute and high tone in tone mode. Using the same just under 9 ATS setting was also excluding pieces of crab traps in mute mode that I had dug a little earlier at lower ATS. Now I will need to go out with some gold samples and make sure I’m not excluding them, but I feel pretty good that with these settings I still got tabs and a very deep copper wire thing that is wound about the diameter of a ring.

Picture is of what I dug, minus the couple of crab trap pieces that were left in the trash can at the hotel. I know where to find plenty of those if I want to test them. Stuff on the left and the little necklace in the middle will stick to a magnet, stuff on the right won’t. Not a lot of targets, but a productive learning outing.

Still a lot to learn about the beast, but am becoming more comfortable with it with each use.
View attachment 12942
I don't feel bad about my tubs full of trash anymore , i am not alone. Thanks for posting.

Best of luck to you Tvr. I feel your pain, as I'm still learning the Safari. It does take a little while to learn and feel comfortable with a new detector, but we'll get there. I dug 6 CW bullets last weekend. Two flattened bullets were dug from the same hole. One atop of the other about 1 inch further down in the dirt. Always check the hole a second time before filling it in.

Best of luck to you Tvr. I feel your pain, as I'm still learning the Safari. It does take a little while to learn and feel comfortable with a new detector, but we'll get there. I dug 6 CW bullets last weekend. Two flattened bullets were dug from the same hole. One atop of the other about 1 inch further down in the dirt. Always check the hole a second time before filling it in.
Not really a lot of pain learning the AQ other than how deep I have to dig to retrieve targets; my back, legs and arms are a far way away from twenty, thirty, even forty something!

Beach replenishment at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and Chesapeake Bay has just about destroyed saltwater hunting altogether.

Reactions: tvr
Beach replenishment at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront and Chesapeake Bay has just about destroyed saltwater hunting altogether.
I took a look at north end of Lynnhaven Inlet area and there appeared to be a lot of new sand. A little further north in Ocean View it did not look like much had been brought in, although there were some soft spots. I was really interested in hitting the granite and brick chunks in the Ocean View area a foot or so deep in the water to learn about handling them with the Impulse AQ. That was my primary objective for this trip and I was not disappointed.